2024: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Whenever the show needed to get an episode “right” it’s Janice Ferri Esser who was tasked with the script. Nobody captured the voice of Jill and Kay like she did. 

Truly talented and so sad for the show to lose her voice. 

• Members

I know people are excited by her but I can’t say that I am. It’s more wait and see. I’m definitely happy the behind the scenes toxicity is over but it’s hard to know if she’ll have much of a vision.

The show needs so much work in terms of writing and the overall look of the show. I hope she’s up for the challenge. 

• Members

I've been wait & see also but then I read that Burton thought he'd be staying on at DAYS & then found out that was not happening, that no new contract, nor a renewal contract, was being offered! Well, that means Janet fired him. So, first act I know about & I'm applauding! Of course, now it's back to more wait & see but I am a bit more optimistic. 

• Members

Lynn Martin is no longer at Y&R. In the interview linked below from a few days ago she says a bunch of writers came back from the strike and were then fired when their contracts came up and replaced with people who wrote during the strike (I don't know if she is referring just to Y&R or other shows as well).

It seemed sketchy to me that Fi-Core James Harmon Brown replaced Brent Boyd shortly after the strike. And Lindsay Harrison probably wrote during the strike. 

Makes me wonder if Janice Ferri Esser really left of her own choice.

Lynn also says that on a show she worked at recently (i.e. Y&R), the writers were given a note to not be funny or clever, and she talks about the elimination of the breakdown writers, the lack of writers of colour..

I know Lynn Martin's scripts are not generally well-regarded, but I was impressed with her in this interview.

https://youtu.be/kiCyBd2YQeA?si=EMwmC47kk49bTiNT