Y&R: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

'New Guy Oscar' is Seth, the part Brian Gaskill is playing? So, now that he can't be Nikki's sponsor is his gig over? 

I liked the week. I liked Lauren's involvement but then I didn't like that she told Jack. Do these people have comprehension problems? What about confidential do they not get? Then it seemed terrifically weird to me that Jack had a pill problem & even weirder that he had never before told this to Diane. 

I just cannot stand Tucker. Surely he is gaslighting her, right? I was surprised that they did not replay the Paris scene this week. They'd pretty much done so before. 

Why poor Nick? He's co-CEO. He seems to have healed. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The "foreshadowing" was pretty over-the-top 

Please register in order to view this content

"But what will VICTOR think when he learns AUNT JACK is my sponsor?!?"

"I know, I know, their feud is legendary and goes back DECADES!"  

• Members

ED 1999 return was in the spring and J. Eddie Peck departed that fall. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think J. Eddie Peck gave an exit interview in one of the soap mags where he said he didn't think he and ED connected as actors. 

• Members

Knowing Josh Griffith’s aversion to drama Jack being Nikki’s sponsor will probably end up being no big deal. In fact JG will probably have Victor singing Jack’s praises and end their feud while Nikki and Diane become besties. 

• Members

Soon after Peter Bergman took over the role (30+ years ago), the writers began giving him these cringe monologues in which he dramatically pours out his soul to other characters.  It likely began during the Saigon Shack storyline, where he was asked to deliver these wretchedly over-the-top speeches to Keemo about "being the fruit of my loins".  He delivered one of those speeches to Nikki this week.  ("I've been there myself, Nikki.  Thank God  Neil and Phyllis were there for me!  I want to be there for you, Nikki.  I want to be your sounding board!  I want to be your punching bag!  Whatever you need -- as God is my witness! -- I will be there for you!!")   

Instead of "downplaying" the theatrics and making the scene look somewhat genuine, Peter Bergman amplifies his intensity, becomes overly earnest and sincere, employing deep conviction, turning on the tears, wringing every ounce of emotion from his performance, channeling all the great sirens of the silver screen in the golden age of Hollywood, as if he's trying to outdo Vivien Leigh, Miss Barbara Stanwyck, and Joan Crawford in delivering the most poignant and heartfelt monologue in the history of cinema.  

And it often ends up looking downright silly.  

• Members

LOL perfect description of PB @Broderick I noticed he was just as affected when speaking as himself on the Y&R 50th anniversary special (where he obnoxiously noted that he'd won an Emmy whereas Lester never had - in my view, that was due to his ABC friends as Y&R's actors did not get much Emmy love during the 80s). Sometimes I crack up when Bergman is the one doing the "brought to you by Palmolive" line after the commercial break, as if he's reading Shakespeare.

• Members

Also, unless I’m mistaken, PB arrived at Y&R the same year Y&R first ascended to be the #1 daytime soap. He benefited from Y&R’s new status imo.

The writing for PB’s Jack was an easy layup, it leaned heavily on PB’s ability to turn on the waterworks but imo, the writing became too heavily reliant on PB’s saccharine weepy portrayal of Jack Abbott.