Y&R: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm hard of hearing, so I appreciate that Peter Bergman always has excellent enunciation.  I never need closed-captioning when he's speaking. 
That said, it does seem a bit too deliberate and might make his normal lines seem like overdramatic speeches.  But I don't think he's intentionally speechifying.

I've notice that Michael Mealor does almost the same thing, in that his vocal inflection is similar.  It's as if he's trying to speak like his Kyle was raised by PB's Jack.  Mealor is really good at that.

But lately Kyle has called himself "Smilin' Jack" and that doesn't quite fit.  His messing around with Audra was more of a Terry Lester Jack move, and not a PB-Jack move.... But if Mealor's speaking and emoting style were more TL, then I might buy him as "Smilin' Jack". 
But this Kyle is just too preppy and buttoned up, like a young Cliff Warner.

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's a good point, compared to ahem, others. A friend who speaks English as a second language told me she has trouble understanding Eric Braeden sometimes. I explained that most of us native English speakers have the same problem.

Please register in order to view this content

I don't know how he quite manages to do that thing where he's mumbling all the words together and trailing off and then suddenly puts emphasis on the last word (as in when he said "whogivesadamnaboutthatBITCH" about Aunt Jordan ). I have no hearing problems but I need to rewind and listen with captions to him a lot.

Mealor does preppy well. He's more like David Tom's Billy than the Billy Miller/Terry Lester archetype, which is a little more playful than Bergman but not especially so. 

• Members

I agree; I don't think the character would have had the longevity it has had if Terry Lester had remained in the role. While a tremendous actor Lester was, Peter Bergman really did embody the role of Jack Abbott and turn him into the character it is today.

• Members

That's exactly why I have never liked Jack Abbott.

As an AMC lifetimer, I could NOT stand Dr. Cliff Warner. Hated him with Nina, hated how he would grit his teeth unnaturally when in scenes with his son Bobby Warner, disliked everything about him. Then I heard about this guy, Jack Abbott on Y&R which I never watched until 2011. All I could say was UGH when I saw it was PB playing Jack Abbott. I'm glad he has so many fans, but this character has always been a sappy bust in my eyes.

• Members

Like so many other recasts, Peter Bergman as Jack Abbott could have been a bust but Bill Bell slowly morphed Jack into a different character that suited the new actor.

In another scenario Jack would have changed overnight with PB doing his thing which would not have gone down well or the writing would be for TL's Jack and PB would have floundered.

Bill Bell managed to walk that fine line and blend the character and new actor.