Y&R: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't think Eileen Davidson ever announced her "retirement." Does she call some shots on her contract? Yeah, and I'm fine with it. That's what superstars are able to do. Y&R knows how valuable she is.

Also, I'm enjoying all the whining on X about Victor calling Nikki "my baby" over and over. I've got to think Eric Braeden knows exactly how many people he's irritating and is having fun with it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No, I never got the impression that she was retiring. Instead I think she's said quite clearly that she doesn't want to be "permanent full-time" either at Y&R or at DAYS but she is open to being "permanent short arc" according to the circumstances & story for both. So she's Ashley now & not long ago she was Thomas Banks. 

• Members

Brian Gaskill looks like a sugar daddy/grandpa.

Ashley and Cole scenes though brief were nice.

It's ridiculous the news wouldn't have spread about the Newmans. Victoria trying to keep it secret is silly. Ashley should've already known Cole was back and why.

And CZ still appearing on the show.

• Members

Oh geez, so I should have said "go off of full time contract". Whatever. She implied that she didn't want to be full-time and was taking a long time off. They all make it sound like they won't be back, like when Kin Shriner tweets that "It's been a good run GH" when he's really just taking a vacation. Half his fans think he's leaving the show for good.  rme

The flashback Ashley had the cutest little dark brown beauty mark about an inch off her lip. I didn't ever notice it on her before. I had to look hard to even see any remnant of a beauty mark, and she barely has a small bump there. Did she have it removed, or did they over-emphasize it in the past? Did they put brown make-up on it to make it stand out back then? I will now admit that I am a little OCD about moles, aka beauty marks, on celebrities.

And why, why, why do they insist on directing Sharon to talk so goofy to people? She sounds like she's drunk half the time, sing-song talking to Nick today, making goofy faces, opening her eyes really wide. She's done it a lot in the past too. Like her obvious disdain when she spoke to Adam in the recent past. I love Sharon but she bugs the crap outta me when she talks like that.

• Members

Do you remember the movie SOAPDISH? Do you recall that periodically the HW would take the star to a mall in NJ? To me when Kin posts one of his predictable but crazy things, those of us on UglyX at the time are the people in the mall. 

I've been completely thrown by her voice. So, is this new? 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

1-5

What in the world was THAT?

When I heard that Sharon was going to get an episode, I admit that I was excited. A story about Sharon? Perhaps some flashbacks? Especially looking at the synopsis for the episode? 

I will give it that it started promisingly enough. But it turned into a mess by the time they re-enacted that silly performance of Nick/Sharon 5 Year Ago Breakup. Though I did like Mal Young's version of Sharon and him repairing her after years of character destruction. 'Mess with me, and YOU'RE be the one left in a puddle' Sharon still lives rent-free in my head from that period...and I grew to loathe Mal Young. 

And it was all about what? Her going after Nick again? Not that I'm not a Nick/Sharon fan, but even this silly episode pointed out that she loved him more than he loved her and he has always hurt her. It was nice to see that acknowledged for sure. But unless, the show is about to get cancelled, I have actually grown to enjoy Nick and Sharon apart. 

I also expected more of a fight between her and Summer over Chance. But alas. I did like how she did the breakup though. 

But...where does Sharon go from here? Or is she just going to fade into the background since she's the Elizabeth Webber of Y&R?

• Members

I really like @Paul Raven's idea of introducing a long-lost, shady half-brother for Sharon.  Someone who could stir up serious trouble and get this show moving again.

But I'd also love to explore what really happened to Sharon's dad.  Who knows?  Maybe Sharon killed him accidentally when she was a teenager (before she and Doris moved to GC) and has blocked it out all these years.

• Members

I admit when I typed that the first thing that I came to mind was Sharon's father...something fans have been asking about for decades now. But I feel I've given up the ghost on that. Unless Sharon becoming a businesshead leads to that...which would be inspired.

I love that idea of a shady half-brother for Sharon, too. We haven't had a male (non-psycho) schemer...outside of Tucker now...since Kyle came back as a bit of schemer. But of course, I think half-brother and shady and think younger.

Love.

• Members

At this point, I just assume that Doris passed away, off-screen.

If Richard Dean Anderson were up to returning to soaps - and yes, I know, he isn't - he'd be a good candidate to play "Roger Collins."  (I don't think they ever said Sharon's father's name, so I'm just naming him "Roger," lol).

• Members

Why was Chance worried about the cost of the Marcetti shirts Summer got him. Isn’t he a trust fund kid? He’s a Chancellor! Money literally grows on tress for them. 

I love this current portrayer, and love him with Summer. What a refreshing take on the character.  

I love Ashley’s reunion with Cole. Eileen played it so well, so nuanced and awkward. This is isn’t an ex she is excited to see again. There is still some water under that bridge. 

…and to Colleen Zenk Pinter, let the mouse go. There is such thing as too much camp. This cameo has worn out it’s welcome. 

• Members

Does Victor even remember he has another daughter named Abby? Today he told Nick that Victoria is strong, she's a Newman. He said, "Victoria has Newman strength, as do you and Adam". Um, what about Abby? Does he not think she has the Newman strength?

And the only thing worse than hearing him say "my baby" is when he holds up his clenched fist and says how strong they all are. We get it, he's a boxer. We know.

And like Ranger1rg said above, EB knows perfectly well how annoying his saying "my baby" is to the viewing audience. I bet he insists on saying it as much as possible now (for outrage on social). It was practically the first thing he said on today's show when he left Nikki that voicemail.

• Members

In my Y&R, Sharon notices an elderly woman at CL. She eventually approaches her and discovers she is the Brenda, sister of Sharon's dad's 2nd wife who has just died. She reveals the history of 'Roger' abandoning Doris for Lorna. Seems Lorna got pregnant and Doris threw him out. 

Doris' accident could be apart of this. Maybe a la Baby Jane Doris attempted to run down Roger and injured herself instead. Anyway, the marriage of Lorna and Roger was not good and Roger confided in Brenda he very much loved and missed Sharon but accepted things as they were. Lorna forbade him from seeing Sharon as she was very domineering woman.

Roger eventually died.

Anywho, Brenda gifts Sharon with some photos and momentos of her dad to give her closure. As for her half brother, Brenda says he and Lorna clashed and he left home.

Sharon decides to search for her brother Jesse and eventually tracks him down after a few false leads. Seems he has been in some trouble and Sharon takes it upon herself to be his rescuer as she knows what it is to have dark times.

He come to work at CL and appears very charming but begins scamming tips etc and begins an affair with maybe Phyllis?

Anyway after much drama he is revealed as an imposter who knew the real Jesse. So then Sharon can find her real half brother and encounter a whole new set of problems.

1-2 years story there.