B&B: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Guys why are you putting Eric to this high standart just now... when this man is practically dying...  Even if he was a cheater... the lack of empathy for someone dying even if it is only on screen... is mind boggling. Also... practically 99.9999 percent of characters in soap operas... if they are on the show for longer than 2-5 years... CHEAT. It is part of the storyline bible. So it is strange that some of you are saying how bad Eric was because cheating and this and that... when Bold is the epitome of cheating scandals and sex scandals show. So we should not have empathy or care about anyone passing then.

Eric is first and foremost and iconic character. Believe it or not, he is. In my country girls would put posters of John as Eric on their walls. So for me it is different perception probably to now see everyone just asking him to die already or that the character is so so bad... that we should not even care. It is an old man dying. I care. That is why I wanted a better storyline for him.

Edited by divinemotion

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The little I’ve seen, that’s it in a nutshell.  It’s fine to be free wheeling and write the show with bed hopping and marriages by the week, annulments the next week, - and on to the next.  On this show it’s by the week. Sure, if that’s the show you want.  Don’t be surprised that the viewers change - to expect surface level only and the reactions and emotional heartstrings aren’t there. 

But this is the result.  You reap what you sew and there’s no thought - why should the viewers care?  And we had the “last party” with Stephanie.  It’s old hat.  This sours viewers more when you drag this out then - oops - Eric really just has long haul Covid and a hangnail, y’all! Thank GOD! Woo hoo!  

Someone mentioned Katie.  Has she cried and gone into hysterics recently?  No?  She will, they need to give her Emmy reel material.  Anyone that got an Emmy after about 2005 to 2010 needs an asterisk next to it (*90% of the really good actors and actresses who were in this category were the victim of a cancelled show).  

I try to remember there’s people on the other end of the role, but honestly - they’ve gotten a good life out of it.  They phone it in 50% of the time or more.  Like people I work with that still Take up salary budget but are on vacation 3 months out of the year.  John will be fine I’m sure but Bold has churned out crap for years.  It deserves what it gets.

• Members

There's a disconnect with the Eric storyline because as others have mentioned, the story itself is bad, and Eric was never portrayed as this strong, steadfast loyal family man. He's always been a philanderer and in the last 15 years, he's had some truly oafish moments... him being back with Donna, the horny, honey-loving younger woman is a reminder of his days being naked outside a window. No offense to the actor, but the character just doesn't give off a warm, "America's father" feeling like a Tom Hanks or whatnot, that would give the audience a cozy, gushy feeling for the character. 

B&B's canvas has felt aimless ever since Stephanie Forrester died. The fact that so few of his children are showing up during this time period just emphasizes this feeling. 

Oh yes, Katie needs something to cry over so Heather Tom can nudge out yet another more-deserving, often-overlooked actress in the Leading category. Katie will probably have another heart setback in 2024. 

In terms of actors phoning it in nowadays on soaps, I would sooner give the cast of DAYS a pass at that, considering they have to film like 12 episodes a week within the confines of a strict schedule ("No overtime allowed!"). B&B is a half hour; even filming 2 episodes a day only puts them on par with hour long soaps during the good o' simple days of 1 Day = 1 Episode. 

• Members

Luna: "This party is incredible!"

Honey, you're standing around in someone's living room with a bunch of dressed up people you see every day.

Seriously? It's because we SAW all the cheating and now they're feeding us Eric as Jesus. It makes me gag.

So much truth to all of that. I don't care about Eric dying, and I'm hate-watching this garbage while i laugh at it. Everything about this "last party" is a campy joke, from the set to the outfits to the crafts services food spread.

None of the dialogue is remotely real or genuine. My favorite is when an actor pretty much says "We have to pretend that Eric isn't dying" while the look on his/her face says "My God, he's going to die right here." Oh, that and the multiple times Eric indicates it's the end for him and he's so glad for this "party."

Kudos to remembering that Katie HAS to get a sob scene so her Emmy reel is complete.

• Members

I have always felt that Katie is just there to win Emmys. I really cannot stomach all of her crying sometimes. Heather Tom is amazing but they write Katie in the corner always.

p.s the last couple of episodes have Bollywood level bad acting.

P.s 2 donna really needs to be written off forever and ever. Locked away in Paris or Monaco and the key thrown in a river. 

• Members

How are you this freaking clueless? It's NOT about him cheating. Geezus crimony. It's about them trying to sell Eric as this wonderful awesome man now that he's suddenly dying

Eric is garbage and no amount of them trying to tell us otherwise will convince me

Edited by dragonflies

• Members

I had stopped watching this endless storyline of Eric dying and constantly coughing up blood, but I am really pissed now.  They have spent weeks showing us his suffering and trying to finish his FINAL collection and now Finn is simply going to Google to find a cure while the "expert in his field" didn't have a clue?  This show doesn't deserve to be on anybody's television set.