Y&R July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

7-14

HEAAAAAAAAAAATHHHHHHHHHHHHER!!!! YOU BETTA WALK IN THERE IN THAT SUIT ACTING LIKE A BOSS BITCA!!!!! lol. I didn't see that coming at all!!! Still how Christine throws the book at Giggly Heffa though.

I liked that in this Ashley/Tucker vs Jack/Diane feud that they remembered the Mal Young Ashley storyline. Another thing that I liked...was Tucker was acting LIKE Tucker. All the moves he made to get Phyllis under his (and Ashley's) thumb was great to watch. TSJ can be a comedic sidekick, and a good romantic lead with his heart on his sleeve-ness...he can also do the powerful man. And it was refreshing to see that part of him again. As much as I like Tucker being Ashley's lackey, realistic how long can he be that way and a match for Ashley? So...good.

Adam and Sharon...? Uhhhh...

Nick has reeeeeeally been looking like a snack. It must be the heat here. hehe...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Only took him 4 years???

This is the longest damn goodbye in show business. Davidson is insufferable, living for the pitiful "We love you, Doug!" and "They were so wrong to fire you!" messages from blue-haired fans.

My favorite? "They really could use you at GH!"

• Members

7-21

You know what? That was...something else.

The beginning of the week had Summer figuring out about Kyle/Audra. And she vanished off for days. Only to come back on FRIDAY and the dialogue given...was weak. And I put that down to the writing. Because AL was doing that thing that she does when she starts in one place and builds as the scene goes on. So THAT (and her last line) was great. But it should have been more of that. And I loved her slapping Kyle...and Kyle was being slimy in that moment. But the momentum was lost. The reveal to Summer (in front of Diane to boot) was good.

That said...and speaking of Diane...the turning of the screws on her by Tucker, Ashley, and Phyllis...I admit that I kinda liked. Well, Tucker's part of it. Outside of Audra and Nate, no one has really been scheming and it's nice to see TSJ doing just that with Tucker. 

And oooooo at that Christine/Phyllis flashback. I hate they cut off the last part of it because I remember when MAB went there by revealing (after 20 years...remember when Y&R used to do that?) that Phyllis was the one to run down her and Paul. And that promo was great, too. It was the followthrough that sucked from what I remember. lol. Even anything I wanted Christine to get even more angry during their scenes. I always loved seeing Christine vs Phyllis. And I loved Christine could barely keep her anger when she was talking to Heather. My only worry is that we won't get to see the trial itself to be honest. Cuz Heather vs Christine in court over Phyllis...could be fun.

As much as I'm happy to see Chance shirtless (and that foine butt) I found him and Sharon hooking up...abrupt? I know it's been coming but it had no flow to it versus the only times they been around each other and it felt like it was building. Just lost momentum again.

Adam/Sharon/Nick together again. Uh....

I have found myself enoying Diane/Billy scenes lately. Billy/Chelesa still not so much. 

• Members

I always thought of Y&R's core four as Jeanne Cooper, Doug Davidson, Melody Thomas Scott, Eric Braeden. With Jeanne having left us a decade ago and now Doug effectively off the show, it almost feels like the end of an era.

MTS is now Y&R's longest-serving cast member and she is the last cast member left that debuted in the 1970s.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Just theatrics, I expect.  I believe his last appearance was in the autumn of 2020?  SURELY they weren't still wasting a dressing room on him?  "Sorry, folks, you can't go in there --- that's Doug's dressing room!  We're expecting him back in 2029!"    

• Members

Dressing rooms are most likely shared and if Doug had one to himself he probably lost it when he went recurring.

it was probably just some last remaining boxes. It was probably awkward on both sides for him to make an appearance under the circumstances and he thought it best to stay away.

Gonna defend Doug a little here, It seems he was a team player and well liked and it must have been difficult to slowly sees his character sidelined from male lead to glorified extra, especially when EB and PB remained front burner. And TPTB didn't have the courtesy to sit down and explain whether he was going to be used or not. and he didn't get a 40th  episode when he was still around.

He was wrong to speak out but understandable. Maybe she should have made amends and not let the twitter stans go on and on, and he might have at least got an invite to the 50th. But it seems there might be some Sony/CBS who wanted rid of him years ago.

• Webmaster

He was invited to the Y&R party. He chose not to go. His words. 

Many 40+ year veterans are recurring or appear whenever the show has a need for them. Not all of them spend their time complaining all day on Twitter about it. Any issue the producers or writers have with him or he with them is between those two parties. Fans should not speculate on it nor should they assume one side is right or wrong. No one knows anything, even if they claim to. He was last seen in November 2020 doing his police work job, which at the time, the show was pushing younger actors in similar roles. 

In the end, no one should expect to have a job forever, especially not on a soap. Even Susan Lucci got fired, and she's STILL the biggest name attached to daytime TV outside of Oprah despite her not appearing on a soap in nearly 12 years.

The show is preparing to move to a new studio home, like The Price is Right, due to the TVC renovations. Same for The Bold and the Beautiful. They likely told him to get his junk out so they don't get accused of losing or trashing it.

• Members

Ι can understand DD's point of view, but in my eyes Paul missing in action isn't that important. 

The real issue with the show's synthesis is that Jill (whom we have seen since day one and who had the most iconic story) is seen from time to time as a random aunt.

Paul was married to Christine -who is not around and who was not connected to anybody either. He was never father material. If I could get some veterans back, I'd try to get Jill and Dru.