Y&R April 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Right? She brings a maturity and subtlety to the role. I don’t love her with Kyle, I think Alison has the potential to make Summer the show’s next leading lady. 

Let’s keep her free from a kid for at least the next three years. Let her run wild, ala early Phyllis. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Based on the Phyllis' gala speech, I think she felt like she had no choice but to go with Jeremy's plan. It's probably as convoluted as the Sheila FBI sting mess on B&B.

It's inconceivable Phyllis would let her children suffer to get revenge on Diane. I mean, Diane being with Jack only really impacts Jack.

AL was a great find. It's good to see her get some really solid material.

• Members

“She means every damn word, Kyle. This is me being honest for the first time, in a long time.”

Great writing and performance by Alison. Of course it helps that she was performing opposite Susan Walters who can elevate any scene partner’s performance. 

Her delivery was raw, natural, and nuanced. Clearly this girl has had some acting lessons. I think her deeper voice also helped to mature Summer from Hunter’s valley girl performance. This Summer feels like she could have lived in Europe. That she was more than a ditzy heiress.

Here is to hoping this begins to crack Kyle and Summer’s marriage apart. I think that these characters are better served as single players. Never has a young marriage on a soap been more sanitised and boring.

Elena is another high potential character. Wow, Brytni has grown since her time at GH and her early days on Y&R. She is very refined, almost “Olivia-esque.”

I would love to see more interactions opposite Victoria. 

“What was it like loosing Neil?” Graz is making me love Christen again. Daniel/Lily was the pairing I did not know I needed. It’s working for me more-so this go around, without the ghost of Davetta close in the rear view mirror. Daniel’s anger and sadness was so natural. 

I also noticed Daniel has adopted some of Phyllis’ mannerisms. The laughing to himself, the self deprecation, those nuances are great acting choices on Graz’s part. 

“Grief is love, with nowhere to go.” When soap writers write well, they really knock it out of the park. 

Edited by AMCHistory

• Members

Another superb performance by Alison Lanier indeed. As I said last month she has completely turned around a character i had use to call “Bummer” for years. In the last year AL has turned Summer into a sophisticated and fierce leading young lady.

As I said before, Lanier brings a lot of warmth to the role when being romantic and sweet or motherly to Harrison, yet her sweet Summer is definitely is someone not to be crossed as AL does her best on the warpath. We’ve seen this with Sally, Phyllis, Kyle, and now Diane. If there is one thing positive about today’s Y&R is that we finally have a heroine with a razor edge again after all these years. 

My vote is Summer ends up dumping Kyle for Chance, although I can’t see her giving up on Harrison though. 

• Members

Victoria under Heather Tom. 

She held her own with her foes, her friends, and even her Father. Like Summer, she was not one to be messed with, but also showed her emotions. 

…and before Victoria, it was Nina. She was the underdog in every relationship: Phillip III, Jill…and look who came out on top!

• Members

They sure would. There would also be a lot of history and tension involved as well with Nina being doubtful about Phyllis daughter dating her son, Abby being upset etc. The cherry on top would be Sally dumping both Newman bros for Chance as well.

Please register in order to view this content

With in more recent history? In the more traditional heroine sense I’d say something along the lines of when Davetta Sherwood and Adrianne León played Lily and Colleen back in 2006-2007ish but unfortunately they didn’t last long. There was also Avery & Leslie but their characters fizzled out where as Summer is established and has staying power.

In the classical sense Summer is currently more along the lines of an Ashley, Olivia, Nina type. 

• Members

I love the Olivia/Summer comparison. I hope this is the direction that they take her. Refined (she is a Newman after all) and strong. Maybe Lauren can start planning to retire from Fenmore’s, and Summer can be groomed to succeed her. Summer deserves to be a boss lady. 

• Members

Considering she Isn't Harrison's Real mother all we need is a Breakup with Kyle and she will be Child Free! I think they're already laying the Ground for that with Kyle Possibly hooking up with Audra, Sally Will Rejoice saying "I Told You So! Once A Cheater Always A Cheater!" Of Course Bringing Tara Back Would be a more dignified way to Break Skyle Up But we would need A Really Good Tara 

And I Would Love To See a Catty Jealous Abby fighting With Her, And Summer Could Just Throw in Abby's Face that She (Abby) Is The Husband Stealer not Her (Summer)

Teenage Summer (She Had A Bite up To 2015? 2018 she was more of a little homewrecke)