Y&R April 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I Also think Vail Bloom's Heather Had Quite A Bite! I Will never forget her confrontation with Adam about sleeping with Rafe!

Funny You Mentioned That, I Found These Videos a while back, and was wondering if i should share:

• Members

Vail had the bite in her performance, but lacked the storyline to be a “heroine.”

Her character was so underserviced, especially for such a strong actress. I look at Eden’s run, and just think of what Vail could have done with that much more meatier material. 

• Members

After watching today’s episode, I have to compliment YR’s casting department. The entire cast today is strong. 

The new actors, and especially the recasts, are strong performers. I love these version of Adam, Chance, Summer, Nate. What a thankless job being in these so frequently recasted roles. 

I also love all the Victor, Nikki, Victoria scenes. These three together have so much chemistry. I love that Victoria is so clearly the favoured child. Amelia comes to life in scenes with these two vets. I noticed it in the post-gala coffee scene and at the Newman office scene. 

Victor, Nikki, Victoria’s coffee scene rung so true to me. That is how my parents and I are after a big party. We go somewhere quite to decompress and compare notes before going home. 

The only weak link for me has been Melissa Ordway as Abby. She is getting juicy material and missing the mark. I think she lack chemistry both with the actors that play Devon and Chance. The actors are being strapped with her. 

Edited by AMCHistory

• Members

I’m not. It was awful writing, and awful production. I wrote a pretty in depth criticism a few pages back that I stand by. I compared it to Katherine Chancellors “funeral” at the start of MAB’s run. It was a similar premise: an all cast event, many of the same guest stars, with a focus on celebrating the show’s history. Hold up those episodes against the gala, and there is no comparison.

The scene that did me in was the Jill/Mamie scene. This should have been a blowout. Two veteran actresses with a proven chemistry reunited. Instead, the dialogue was stilted. The music did nothing to build the suspense of Mamie’s final line. It was like you had two Oscar winners, at a high school play. P

Also, they threw a gala on the smallest set (the Jazz Lounge). Really?

Edited by AMCHistory

• Members

The entire writing staff was still credited in the gala scenes.  I've said it before -- most of them seemed lazy and mechanical.   Sorry the breakdown writers lost their jobs, but they weren't exactly knocking it out of the park.  The gala scenes highlight that.   

• Errol featured this topic
  • Members

Precisely! Phyllis has been baths!t crazy for months now, maybe some sense of sanity is coming back to her? (If that’s possible lol) And @janea4old please don’t stop either as I enjoy your posts as well.

I was thinking the same thing as well regarding her endgame, unless she can spin up a good sob story. It would be interesting if Phyllis is actually playing Jeremy to drive him out of town for good but so far there hasn’t been a hint of that at all.

That said, I’m highly anticipating the scenes where AL Summer confronts and decimates Phyllis for pretending to be dead.

Please register in order to view this content

Connor Floyd is so cute and sexy it makes no sense he’s stuck at a dead end with Sharon. Sure they have a nice chemistry but this would be the third cop Sharon has been paired with. Audra should enter Chance’s orbit again to shake things up. 

@AMCHistory You’re right about Ordway currently being one of the weakest links on the show right now. I use to be okay with her but for the past couple years now it’s obviously become a black hole around her character. 

• Members

I think YR should give Melissa a break to regroup. Give her a chance to zero out and revisit her character at a later time. 

Many soaps do a good job at this. Drop the character for recurring or a hiatus, and they normally come back stronger as revitalised for it. It also gives the character some higher stakes, something that drives them to leave town. Heartwarming and heart wrenching reunions when they return. Mysteries around what they did when they were out of town. It doesn’t mean the role needs to be recast, it just means they need a recharge. 

I think on YR many actors benefited from this. Lily, Ashley, even Sharon, have all taken breaks and come back as stronger characters and actors. 

• Members

4-4

THANK YOU, NICK, FOR LETTING JEREMY KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS!!! But Angry Nick is a hot Nick for me. lol.

AL is blowing me out of the water so far with very little in showing Summer falling apart. So is MG though he is being more subtle about it. Though will they let Daniel beat Jeremy's butt already?

Jeremy +Leeanna = a good scheme team. I was down for her interacting with him and her wheels turning. But BC is just THAT good.

I really LOVE the Cassie mention and that moment of bonding between Daniel and Sharon. But I liked Sharon talking to Nick. And while I side-eye Sharon for feeling soooome sympathy for Phyllis, I'm okay with it in this context. 

• Members

@janea4old I just wanted to add, I am with the other posters in here, don't stop with the Twitter posts.  They are not distracting, in fact I find them refreshing.  As with any posts, if someone does care for them, they can scroll past them.  As for you not being a great writer, I find your posts to always be well articulated.  Thanks for your contribution here, whether commentary, spoilers, Twitter, etc.  I may not always have time to reply, but I do read them. ...(One of the reasons I wish for a 'like' button here).

Edited by Jeff