Y&R April 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The 2004 one is when Phyllis dressed as a man to infilitrate Dominick Hughes' jail cell.

This is the recap from the 2005 one. I didn't even remember the story, just the outfit:

Disguised as a reporter from Georgia, Phyllis talked to Glenn Richards about the possibility of including Dominic Hughes in a story she was writing about parole violators. She pointed out that it was a compelling story that the D.A. took the word of a convicted felon in violation of his parole over the father of a murdered son. When Glenn told her that their meeting was over, she said that was okay. She still had to get a different side of the story from the attorneys, Christine and Michael.

• Members

Thanks lol! That doesn’t even look like it’s really her…the Man U can tell but it looks like a completely different actress was used for the reporter. If Stafford was really in that outfit I can picture doing a very OTT southern accent.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

But will she though?

I feel like Summer is going to light her up.

And HAHAHAHAHA at me discussing Abby/Chance and it gets traction. lol. But seriously, last week I felt was a good week outside of the Phyllis reveal and it shows like I'm going to be annoyed with her this week...when she's the one who set it all in motion due to her hatred of Diane.

• Members

AL absolutely rocks! I'm perplexed about the Phyllis faking her death endgame because I have no idea what she gains, but the performances by AL and MG have been worth the price. It was also an organic way to deepen the connection between Daniel and Lily.

My favorite moment was Summer asking Diane to say something about Phyllis. It was played so perfectly by both actors.

SW's return has been solid. Look at how Diane has shaken up the entire House of Jabot from the dead. Jack has a leading man story, Jack/Ashley always simmering tensions rise up again, Traci as peacemaker, Kyle/Summer back on canvas, etc. But none of it would work if it weren't for SW's ability to play Diane the *victim* aka master manipulator so darn well. I've almost had sympathy for Diane, except I see her!

• Members

Yes. I'm not even looking forward to watching the fake funeral scenes, but I AM looking forever to Summer lighting Phyllis up when she sees she's alive and faked her death. AL is going to knock that out of the park.

I agree. Diane's return has been a good return and a great example of why a show that rarely does back from the dead stories would justify doing one. Look at what this reversal has given us show-wise. 

• Members

The 'choices' the show makes with plot points have me shaking my head.

Phyllis' disguise-really? Nowadays you can do amazing things with prosthetics and makeup and that might have been interesting to see Phyllis unrecognizable. They could even shown the process step by step-that would have been interesting-a la Kay's facelift.

Instead they go with glasses and a cheap wig from the Veronica Landers school of disguise and everybody looks like a fool as a result.

How did Phyllis just walk in and get that gig?

• Members

The trouble with Phyllis' awful disguise is that Y&R is not known for soap writing that's in on the joke. If a DAYS character wore a worthless disguise (or another mask), we might roll our eyes or laugh along with it. That doesn't work on Y&R. We just wonder "What were they thinking?"

Speaking of soap realism, what about Abby dragging all her suitcases to Devon's penthouse by herself? Devon is a billionaire and she's a multi-millionaire, and she's hauling "all her clothes" (3 whole suitcases) to the suite by herself???

These people are RICH. I don't want to see rich people acting like this.

• Members

Exactly. They're rich and famous when it suits the plot and otherwise just regular folks.

All they had to do was have Abby arrive with one carry bag saying she brought some personal items and the rest of her luggage would arrive soon and maybe joke that she hopes there's enough room for all her clothes.

Same as when Victor& Nikki were heading off for the Tuscan wedding and there were a pile of cases in the living room. Umm,I think the staff would have wisked them to the car and not dumped them there.

As for Devon, he doesn't seem to have a PA or staff. Surely, all they have to do is establish someone a la Crystal at Grim Pheonix who scurries around from time to time.

And who cooks and cleans for him?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

All true, Paul. It all goes to how "realistic" a soap should be. Well, this is stuff that CAN be written realistically with very little extra work.

I know Y&R is cheap and doesn't want to hire extras to play Mrs. Martinez or a PA for Devon, but they can at least drop lines in the script on occasion. It's just ridiculous as it is now.

I thought we were in for better times with sets when the GCAC showed up for the gala, but that seems to be over. Yes, the GCAC suites are nice than the tacky ones at the GP, but aside from that, I'm not seeing much.

My first clue that we were going to get the same old, same old was when people left the gala and headed to Crimson Lights. I mean, HUH???

• Members

Which of course, was free of customers.

I've said before , but mostly at CL they do a wide shot which emphasizes that it is empty, but at times the director uses tighter shots which makes it less apparent.

Like at Gran Pheonix where Crystal and the guy in tight pants would buzz around but there would be no patrons. Why not have Crystal only and use the money for an extra that she could be attending to?

And I found that giant pic of Neil staring down during Phyllis' service to be quite annoying, Neil gets more screentime now than when he was alive.