Y&R January 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Y&R has been toying with the 'film in public spaces in the studio and pretend it's on location' since at least JFP. A lot of drab institutional-looking stairwells, like when Phyllis took her tumble down some stairs when Stafford left the show for GH.

In fairness, I'm sure soaps have always played with filming in the facilities and making it pretend to be location over the decades. But the lighting and production value in the earlier years was much more adept at disguising it vs. the ugly GL/ATWT and even recent GH and Y&R method of 'just film anywhere backstage and pretend it's a set'. You can tell the difference between some grimy back staircase on Studio X and a stairwell in Newman Enterprises or whatever.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I get that having Nate as a doctor was limiting, especially as there was no hospital set or storyline.

But they needed better motivation to have him move into the business world.

Could have been interesting to see him move into business.

Of course we have the awful 'media' setting with podcasts and now Daniel's dumb game.

• Members

OMG! Mary really was. As a tween to teenager to YA growing up, I lived for when Paul would get a new woman because YOU KNEW shade was coming her way when Mary met her. Poor Isabella lol. I know Genoa City isn't in the South but she was such a Southern woman with her nice nasty. But you are right. She did live such a clean life.

I know she would driven Gloria even more crazy than the Abbotts. No doubt.

• Members

Sean Dominic (Nate) is very good looking, but I’ll be honest — he isn’t much of an actor.

I don’t think he adds an ounce of gravitas to his role as a business executive. Maybe he’ll do better if he becomes Victoria’s boy toy, but for now, he’s not cutting it.

• Members

Yes, she's there for optics. Black, recent best actress winner. Looks good on paper.

Man, looking at that cast photo again...half of those people should be gone and all of them have nothing to do. It's crazy, they're not even doing the soap "safe" things like the other shows (baby switches and dopplegangers), they're doing nothing.