Y&R July 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

Letting Newman slip through their fingers will bite them in the ass.  The Dane/Ashland combo could have thrown a monkey wrench into SO many stories. From Kyle to Phyllis to Victori-ah /Billy/Lily to Jack, Summer etc. 

Just a waste of a great actor. 

Not that GH needs another character but Robert Newman could step in as Jimmy Lee or Jeff Webber with ease.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by slick jones

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Shades of what caused JG’s 2012-2013 tenure to go off the rails.

The show was building significant momentum with Summer’s paternity resurfacing, the Winters/Michaelsons dealing with a mysterious stalker from the past, and Adam dealing with a mysterious red headed femme fatale. Then JG abruptly decided to take the easy way out. 

Nine years later the show has more momentum again with Diane’s return, Nate and Imani building up to a possible affair, and Ashland becoming the new town villain…yet it looks like he’s taking the easy way out once again.

Let’s hope he doesn’t barricade himself in his office again. 

• Members

I thought that was such a given since he was a recast to really finish off a story that was started by another actor.

Personally, I felt the writing was on the wall when they revealed Victoria outsmarted everyone...which was loooooooooooong overdue. And then the thing with Harrison. Le sigh. It would have been nice to keep him, but we cannot have nice things. I mean...Imani/Nate has kinda up and vanished for example. 

Oh how I miss the Michaelsons. And I believe I was one of the few that loved the craziness of Summer's paternity. 

But I totally agree.

• Members

A while back I had mentioned I recalled reading that Hilary was supposed to be the illegitimate daughter of Gus Rogan and Dru, someone had asked me on this board if I could find the direct source for that but unfortunately I could not, and now I can’t even remember who asked me about it lol. Maybe there was truth to it or maybe it was some heavy fandom speculation as opposed to fact but sounded more interesting on paper as opposed to what we saw play out.

I like the initial craziness of Summer’s paternity as well with Phyllis seducing Kyle (I can’t remember if if was Hood or Sawyer now lol) in front of Summer lol. Switching it back to Nick because Sharon wanted revenge was fun but was total a cop out; the fact we had to see Sharon get electro shock therapy and then EVERYONE knowing Sharon had some horrible secret but she couldn’t remember what it was and then all of the sudden NO ONE wanted to know what it was lol. 

Back to Ashland this the point when if Ashland had like two additional kids from  previous marriage would seriously come into play at. An Ashland Locke Jr would tell Sally and Summer he’s disgusted with his father’s actions and wants to protect Harrison from the Ashland’s infamy while tempting both Sally and Summer that he is far a better than either Adam and Kyle.

Meanwhile Regina Locke has hated Victoria all along and she sleeps with stepbrother  Reed in some twisted Cruel Intentions pact the two blame Victoria for Ashland’s downfall.

LOL it’s hard to tell as JG was co-writing with MAB the whole duration. It was an immediate improvement over Latham but was very campy, and MAB successfully blamed JG for impeding her “vision”. I get the feeling about 90%+ was all MAB and not JG. 

• Members

Yeah, what was on-screen was a waste of Tony Todd. 

I want to say Sawyer because I was watching most of Hood's Kyle...who I was the few who liked him as well...lol. Then again, that might have been him, but I think I'm thinking of Summer trying to seduce him. 

See? So much potential when there could have been so many offsprings of Ashland. 

• Members

This show is almost anti-entertainment. It also seems to cut characters off right when they are coming into their own. Robert Newman was finally starting to not only look the part with his clean-shaven face, but he also began to achieve that sort of menace that Richard Burgi could play in his sleep. 

I didn’t love the Tara actress, but when she became the cold-hearted bitch tormenting Summer, she was more comfortable and watchable. But that was right before Tara was thrown in jail. Most of her time was skulking about sullenly like a dishrag, and no one would have played that well. That was all on JG/AM. They always want to try to outsmart the audience (forefronting Tara as this mostly guarded, seemingly abused character for months before revealing the vicious beeyotch behind the sad eyes) when transparency was normally what Y&R excelled at.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

That would be an welcome change, they don't seem be very good to let a woman stay with JUST ONE of them much long, einther they get into a war over such female or she gets dead, i really was put off by Sage's death back in 2016