GH: Fall Spoilers

• Members

SOD talked a bit more about Joss's upcoming confrontation with Spencer regarding him lying about being Victor. Spencer is going to admit to Joss the extent of his feelings for Trina. Though, Esme is going to interrupt before Joss has a chance to process/respond to Spencer's comments about his feelings for Trina. I'm looking forward to these scenes:

Edited by xtr

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's interesting speculation and it would be soapy if Esme had a hand in that reveal.

I'm looking forward to these scenes. I also wonder if Spencer will be at the wedding. He might not be and maybe Joss confronts him before it begins. She does this on Tuesday but Carly starts to get ready for the wedding on Wednesday.

• Members

There better be some damn soapy drama. It's complete BS that everyone is propping Jarly and supportive of their marriage. GH has forgotten it's a soap again. I mean, look at that awful Willow/Chase/Michael reveal. I get someone likely said "just end this" but still.

We shall see. I want a Red Wedding and DRAMA. But this is Frank's GH.

• Members

GH is a soapless soap.  Frank spends more time trying to provide a safe haven for his pets/hires than trying to write drama.  He has this canvas so packed that he can't properly service the stories.  This Jarly/Smike/Nina thing is huge but I have zero confidence it will amount to anything.  The wedding will be a dud.  Jax could have simply said "you are Sonny Corinthos" but why when Smike does not give 2 sh!ts who he is.  It was worse than the 3 Stooges.  Jax belonged nowhere near NF.  

Also, Howarth with a ponytail is Howarth with a ponytail.  Zero value and its just a matter of time until Frank convinces ABC to let him give Howarth another character when this one eventually fails.  With Esme, why do we need Willow and Sasha?  We don't.  Get rid of Parking Lot, Sasha, Blando, Howarth, Easton and Dingo!  

LW did a great job with the material yesterday and while I have no challenges with Jason getting here, when the hell did he get here?  That's the biggest WTF of all.  

Just terrible!

• Members

ALL OF THIS!

Even some Howarth stans on social media are realizing Austin is a failure of a character already. The show is a hot mess and fans see it. 

LW did well. She never phones it in. I go back and forth on her version of Carly. I also think the writing for Jarly lends itself to a good story but how they got here right now is just a huge WTF mess honestly. This writes itself!! lol

Agreed on who to dump. I also want a recast Michael.

Frank's greasy hands are all over this mess. Anytime there's a solid or positive direction it seems to get blown to hell.

• Members

I personally disagree with this line of criticism.

I have my problems with some of the choices made, obviously, but current GH by far is the soapiest of the soaps still on-air.
I really don't get watching the Nina/Sonny/Carly/Jason/Britt story and not recognizing this is classic soap.
One can happily criticize the way the story is written but everything in it is pure soap: from the convenient coincidences to the convoluted motives of each characters to the secrets being almost revealed but not because of further coincidences, etc...
Same with Spencer/Trina and the fact he is Victor and the Esme secret. And BrookLynn raising Maxie's baby. And Peter being alive.
Again: not necessarily *good* but totally soapy and they deserve credit for it.
So I disagree that GH currently is soapless. It is not even a question of whether it is good or not (I think it had a few great months earlier this year that have slowed down of late, presumably in the runup to November sweeps) but they are trying to tell stories which is more than I can say for two if not three of the other soaps at the moment.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

I see what you're saying. 

But I see underlying issues with the show.

It definitely is still the best of the four. It has a lot of potential. I disagree with some of the writing directions they've taken and I don't think they do other stories enough justice or time. 

Frank interferes when he needs to let Dan and Chris write. They get it. He wants something else. It's really how it is. And I'm surprised people can't see how they've veered off direction in the last couple of months. I'm annoyed because I was mostly enjoying it and the fallout of some of the stories. Was the Michael/Willow/Chase reveal soapy? Is everyone supporting Jarly soapy? I understand "soapless" could be taken a lot of ways so maybe that wasn't the best word to use lol

Frank Valentini is the issue to me. The writers get it. He's been the constant over the last few writing regimes. Just because the story threads are soapy and full of potential doesn't mean the execution is always well done or delivers on a pay-off.

If the effort, vision and soapiness are there, why are fans finding a lot of things falling flat? It's a large growing consensus on social media the show has lost it's direction in the last few months.

The show improved when Dan came onboard and Varni no longer had an influence. 

Frank's hands are all over it. I'm annoyed because I DO see the potential.

I still enjoy several stories that are on-going. It's not all "horrible" but I know they can do better so when I see ... issues I'll call them out. Maybe I don't always go about it the right way or say it the right way ... lol

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Because even a show running on all cylinders (which GH is not) would have down time.
The show had a great run until the Maxie/Peter reveal, then a bad few months after that, then it had a really great run in late spring/early summer and it has since lost momentum again. All in 2021. It is cyclical!

I am not trying to defend all we are seeing though.
I am simply disagreeing with the specific point that the show is soapless. It is not going great but it is not because it is not trying to be a soap.
Whether it is good soap is up to the eye of the beholder but it is soap.
Sonny/Nina to talk about the current front burner storyline is undistilled soap story. 
Over at B&B "story" is Eric can't get it up and gives permission to wife to continue cheating with her lover. That's... not soap. Not vision. Not even a story 

Hence my nitpicking that "soapless" criticism because I think it is unfair considering how others are not even trying (I mean... Y&R... come on!)
But I agree: I have  not enjoyed August/September GH too much so far (and probably even less than a lot of fans since I am not nearly as enthused by Spencer/Trina so I don't even have that going).
But I see them trying to be a soap and so I grant them more leeway to have "down times"

• Members

@KMan101  I get what your point is, and @ChitHappensYou always tell it like it is!

While not soapless, it's rudderless and veers off course whenever O'Connor and Van Etten sneak in some great story. It's quickly extinguished by #firefrank whose Cheetos dusted fingers are all over the propping and change just as stories get interesting.

Instead of bringing in Evanescence, there were so many ways to go with Spencer and Trina without bringing in a Hannah banana     clone, reliving his One Life to Live  not so glorious days.  There was plenty of potential already there.  

As for dead weight, a massacre or plane crash could resolve all the crap characters and lead to a Michael recast, as Duell the tool has never been all that compelling in the role. Maybe a recast could change his s*itty luck in the romance department.

Apologies if this comes out too clear and concise. Unlike some, I just express my opinions and don't attempt to "waffle" on my points.

• Members

I it's the best of the four soaps as well and am enjoying it right now.  I would currently rank the soaps with #1-GH #2-Days and believe it or not I would actually put B&B even with that mess with Carter, Quinn, Eric lol as #3 right now and Y&R would round out the list as last. I think that Y&R is the most boring soap right now. There are a few things that fall a bit flat for me on the show like Michael/Willow and Carly/Jason, but overall I am really enjoying it right now. 

Edited by xtr