B&B September 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

The funny thing about this story is that it’s not even remotely as shocking a gimmick as Bradley Bell thinks it is. It actually comes across as rather goofy and retrograde.

I find it hard to get up in arms about its racism (which is real) because it’s just so laughable.

It says a lot about the state of soaps that this is “pushing the envelope.” (This is the guy who thought pairing a mentally disturbed Thomas with a mannequin was oh so entertaining and potentially viral, when it actually tanked the ratings IIRC.)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well one thing is that when I saw this whole storyline being talked about - I am not the one to call racism or play a race card.  In fact I'm a bad Democrat because of that.  Sometimes I'm one to think twice and look at all angles before I agree or disagree with whether something is racist.  But I listen to what people have to say.  In this case, I didn't need to read other people's opinions on it.  It made me feel uncomfortable from just reading about it.  I feel like it's a bone to throw to black characters at the very very least, and the more obvious thing to me is what it is and what it looks like.  

It reminds me somewhat of a mutual friend I have with someone.  Went to her house and she had a collection of mammy dolls.  Now, I know.  I know that some are made by black women or craftspeople who are black and they're proud of it and see it as an art.  But there's something about a Southern white woman collecting them that bothers me.  It just does.  I don't know why, but it does.  Reading about this storyline makes me feel like that.

And last, Carter is probably the most handsome man on Daytime.  I'd put him up there and I've said it before.  Ok, Rena is very pretty (Quinn).  Ok.  But we've spent years now that Carter isn't noticed basically and plays 2nd fiddle to the white guys...he has.  It's happened.  It happened with Maya picking Rick...black woman picking the rich white guy.  I mean, I'm not calling that racist at all - but it happened.  Now we have a really handsome black man (STILL) who apparently can't get a date so he takes up with his rich white boss's woman.  Now, rich white guy has given him "permission", like he owns him or something.  So....it looks like what it looks like to me.  

• Members

I agree, Fevuh!  I think the racism slaps you in the face.  The fact that they've not only NOT used Carter in the past, but to put his character in this position is ludicrous.  At least, in the past, he's always been such an honorable person.  They've ruined him now.  I can't believe they've stooped to this level or that the actor would agree to play the role.

• Members

Please read the other posts here and try to look at this with different eyes. The racial elements of this storyline are so in your face I don’t know what to say.

You see the taboo element, so you DO see the black/white being played onscreen. Yet you can’t see who’s in control? Who has the money and the power? Who we’re told to care about?

We NEVER hear what Carter wants and needs. We know what Eric wants and what Quinn needs. What does Carter — a man who can get any woman he wants — get out of this? 

The racist elements of this story are everywhere. Open your eyes. If you don’t see it here, I wonder where you do see it.

• Members

LOL. I can’t bring myself to get angry about this Eric story or its racism. It’s too stupid. No one in this story is behaving credibly. It’s like Passions at its most idiotic.

The characters talk about ED like a bunch of giggly Catholic-school kids, as if this medical condition hasn’t been discussed ad nauseum for generations. 

• Members

That's insulting Passions... 

Brad writes these character like they live in Bumpkin, Iowa in 1955 instead of Los Angeles, California 2021. I'm sure they have heard of plenty of A-List couples in the Forrester circle have open/poly relationships for years now. Not to mention Eric finding other ways to please Quinn sexually... 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

It’s just laughable that they playing these moments like big reveals, ending today’s show with Eric telling Ridge he gave Quinn permission to fûck Carter. None of it makes a lick of sense. Even the oldest and most conservative members of the B&B audience are more sophisticated than this.

• Members

I was talking to my sister today and she asked if I had seen B&B, and I said just reading about it.  Without prompting she said, it is SO STUPID.  I said, yeah, I've been reading.  hahahaha.  I noticed the ratings posted and saw...wow, GH is almost up to B&B in demos or right at them, and has like 500K less (or even less) total viewers.  Pretty terrible.  The 18-49W and 25-54W aren't watching B&B.  The show has always skewed older since day 1, but now it's really glaring.  They have to get the geriatric over 54 viewers because no one else is watching...and it's looking like they're tuning out also.  You'd think they'd figure it out.  

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

Well I shouldn't have put it that way but I meant those not in demographics they even track because we don't count - the elderly over 54 crowd, the ones who are bedridden and unable to change the channel.

Edited by Fevuh