DAYS Spinoff: Beyond Salem Discussion Thread

• Members

Watching now ...

I liked the updated Days opening and then the new opening for the mini-series. A part of me would have liked the cast in the opening but it worked. A slightly bigger budget would be nice but they've done a good job making this happen in a short amount of time.

I appreciate the re-dressed sets and they do a good job setting the scenes for where the characters are. It's what soaps used to do. 

Tony/Anna/Carrie gave me all the feels. And then Austin stormed in. Lord. Can we free Carrie from Austin? Sorry ya'll ... lol

It does give the vibe of a primetime soap/DAYS with a better budget. I approve. Like I said, they did a good job with what they had and in the time they had to do it.

Zach Tinker does a good job. I approve of him as Sonny. I do find it funny how over the years Chad and Sonny have become closer than Chad and Will once were.

Can't wait to see Billie's take on Ben. LOL.

Ben and Ciara are literally useless. I'd rather see literally anyone else. But I get why they're there.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She looks fantastic. I'll never get over this show firing her so many times. How stupid they were. But she's had a great life, lived around the world, so it's worked out for her but selfishly I've wanted her on the show for so damn long. Ron seems interested. 

Austin Peck ... ugh ... Austin Reed feels like an albatross on Carrie's back but I'd take him with her over Rafe anyday lol you know that's who they'd stick her with.

I bet DAYS wishes they still had old/gone Salem Place to use now LOL

I feel like I can't look at the main show the same now after Beyond Salem ... and this is just one episode in.

Can we please get the main show a bigger budget?

I love Paulina all "I'm rich and fabulous and know this person and this person and this person" ... lmao it's perfect

• Members

I will go on record saying AP as Austin is fine.  He has improved acting wise and still looks good.  I will agree he is an albatross around Carrie's neck though.   

Carrie could have been in so many other pairings but we just trot out Austin every time.

Muldoon just looks so old compared to Christie

Edited by carolineg

• Members

LOL I am about to watch Beyond Salem now but saw this but I remember several years back in 2010 when Corday said he would never get rid of the mid-show bumper even if it was old fashioned. Of course he lied in the long run lol.

I like Tinker so far as Sonny. I do miss the days of the original Chill back in 2010-11 I wish the show had actually followed through there at the time.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I get that.

AP and CC do have a good rapport and they picked up like no time had passed. AP also easily slipped back into the role of Austin easily. It works but I definitely agree they keep trotting out Austin and Carrie has seemingly been stuck with him forever. I'd love to see Carrie/Christie tried with say, nuEJ on the main show. Hell even Martha Madison had chemistry with Dan.

I'm kinda dying at the Baywatch 90s feel of the Miami stock footage. I love it.

• Members

I love mid show bumpers. 

Chill is what got me into Days. ATWT had been cancelled and I was looking for a soap. Everyone on here kept going on and on about them so I decided to watch and got hooked. Vintage pic...Chad is off to the side.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

There was such good potential for a DiMera/Horton/Kiriakis triangle.

I already enjoy this show more than the main show. It just checks all the boxes for me really. A cast I care about, a slightly better budget and a clear focus. The main show could be better but for some reason that's what they choose to put on network television (same for the other three soaps). 

Loved the slight digs and nod at the stupidity of the main show in regards to Ben and no budget. Shane "our budget isn't what it used to be" (or however he said it) ... 

• Members

Personally, I've been advocating for PM to come back as Austin, have Carrie and Rafe get together working on a case, while Austin rediscovers his love of music doodling on the piano, and Eve overhears him and they connect over this. Austin helps Eve with recovering her voice, and they eventually end up having their own affair. It'd help release Carrie from Austin, and gives Rafe a potential pairing that won't bore/annoy everyone.

Granted, this was my idea from about 4-5 years ago. I think it's way too late for either pairing to work now, but...I digress.

Looping back round to BS: Looks like I'll be having to play catchup in October with this, since literally no one has SlackTV so idk how I'll be able to watch this before it goes on Global's app.

• Members

Exactly. Which is why I'd love a little more money tossed the main show's way. With two years locked they should be plotting a lot better going forward. But Ron needs a co-hw. And I'd argue a stronger producer. But the potential is there. It's there for all the soaps but they fail in so many ways. Many avoidable ways.

I'd also argue the show has some deadweight that can be cut and they might need to make a tough choice or two.