DAYS Spinoff: Beyond Salem Discussion Thread

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's what I kept thinking while watching. There's no reason why this couldn't have been just a normal episode of DAYS on TV. It's not like it was anything super different from what we already see on the normal show - there was just slightly more effort. I mean we have the same wardrobe and music as on the normal show. They redressed the sets a bit. Had some extras for those lunch scenes in Miami. And there's no reason why we can't have characters like Carrie, Will, and Sonny back in Salem. This could totally be what we see every day if they just tried.

• Members

They stopped writing for Will and Sonny on the main show. I was shocked they were included in the spin-off. SOD had a poll of who fans were looking forward in seeing and Will had 70% of the vote followed by new Sonny. If they don't want to write for them in the main show then give them their own spinoff on Peacock.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

It always felt to me like Ron was invested in Will and Paul as a couple and never interested in Sonny and Will, so when Christopher Sean left, he was forced to put them back together.  This version of Sonny and Will is one where I can see Ron wanting to write for. 

• Members

That's what I always thought.

Christopher Sean leaving really sealed Will and Sonny's and ultimately Paul's fate. Sometimes, I think they should have recast Paul or at least tried to get CS back. Once Will and Sonny were back together, the writing just wasn't there for them. There were also tons of missed opportunities following Will being sent to prison, and Sonny's relationship with Evan as well. Opportunities that could have played out for years. 

Like I said, I hope this is a wake up call for the main show. I do enjoy a lot of it, but there are also a lot of things that can be done differently. 

Exactly!

• Members

I loved Will and Paul but it was obvious whoever was In charge wanted Will and Sonny. I wouldn't have minded but I was so sick of Freddie Smith. 

You know Ron...he loves his hunks and Freddie wasn't one of them that's probably why he didn't want to write for them. 

• Members

Sigh loved them too. What a horrible ending for both.

Chandler knew the game and what Ron wanted. Freddie was either snowing us or couldn't do it. I remember he looked the same onscreen but his photos were different... Were they photoshopped?? Freddie looked bloated the whole damn time and his acting reached high levels of insanely bad.

*Note to everyone... No more reference to Freddie Smith appearance.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

This.
It wasn't a producer agenda or anything. It was the vocal fans - the same that are doing our head in with Ben/Ciara and confined Jarlena and Bope to supporting roles because any story that involved putting their couple in danger created such intense backlash that writers didn't feel comfortable writing for them anymore.
"Supercouples" are the bane of every soap but it is particularly bad at Days.

I am in the minority that I have enough emotional attachment to Sonny/Will that they would still be the end game for me but the entire point of the END game is that it is the END and for us to root for them to get back together they must not be together. It is the twists and turns and other relationships and changes in their relationships that make them interesting characters.
The "Why can't the writers let them be happy" crowd is profoundly short-sighted - not to use a stronger word - and it is insane that producers and writers yield to them.