DAYS Spinoff: Beyond Salem Discussion Thread

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'll have a look at it tonight or tomorrow when another episode is banked. I haven't watched DAYS in ages but I think I can pick up where things are at easily enough.

Christie still looks great, as does Austin Peck. I'm so happy Tony is back again and not a cartoon villain; Higley and co. botched that years ago. I'm happy when ol' Thaao and Leeann Hunley are treated right.

• Members

The 1st episode was a tad boring, most setting up the rest of the mini series. The writing had some more humor than on regular DAYS, and let the actors actually have personalities. The new Sonny is not only good looking but a really good actor. Puts Freddy Smith to shame on both the looks and acting. Looking forward to the 2nd episode.

• Members

I'm still watching, but my early reaction is that the production values are very good. Not quite primetime, but you can tell enough money has been poured in to elevate things. I wish the main show looked this good. We also don't have the tiny sets of the main show. It looks really good so on that front they were successful. The one thing I question right now is centering so much of the plot on Princess Gina/Hope unless Kristen Alfonso is a surprise guest. Especially considering you're bringing back so many people, if a lapsed viewer is tuning in, they'll expect her.

It plays in a way that you could be a lapsed viewer and still be fine.From the beginning you can tell it's a very specific story.

• Members

Real shame Disney isn't finding a way to do something like this (even in a limited run) with half-hour slots for AMC/OLTL in the old block, maybe with a new little GH spinoff to finish off the old trio, but hey what do I know. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Just finished watching it.

I'm really liking it so far. Goes to show you what can be done when you have a little more money to spend. Some of the dialogue was a little.... cringey lol, but that's classic Ron. I'm used to it after seeing his work for so long now. I like how everything is ultimately tied together, even though everybody might not know it yet. And I do think they picked the right characters to appear in the spinoff, even Ben and Ciara. As much as I hate him, they do have a large fanbase that's good for the show as a whole.

And can I just say how glad I am that it looks like there was no Rafe/Carrie baby!! 

• Members

I also just finished up watching.  Overall I liked it. There was some exposition, likely to help catching up viewers haven't watched DAYS in years, what's been going on, but that's to be expected. It was also a lot of setup, but not a bad first episode by any means.  You could tell they spent more money on this, the production values are higher than the main show. 

I think Zach Tinker did a really good job in this first episode as Sonny. Not that I was worried, but he stepped into the role perfectly. I do like how all the stories are intertwined. 

A lot was set up in the first episode. And that's to be expect. The name dropping with Paulina was a bit much. Zach Tinker is a great Sonny recast. He hit the ground running. It's nice to see that they spent some coin. On the sets. It's a step up from the cheap tired sets. We get on Days. Loved Dee doing the voice over. It was also nice to see shady, thirsty  Queen Leo. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I'd be surprised if that ever happens as well (mostly in the context of a GH streaming spin-off). So much of Disney's strategy for Disney+ is built on content that can easily be distributed to a mass audience globally on various international versions of the platform. They're not going to invest in something niche like a soap spin-off, especially since the ABC soaps have never really had much of an international footprint and success outside of the US, when they can invest in Marvel and Star Wars content which does translate well across the world.  

Then there's Hulu, which seems to be focused on mostly original content. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Lord these credits are literally just Melrose Place! 

I know it doesn't fit into what they're doing atm, yeah. I do think there is room for them doing it in this market, but they don't see it yet. Hopefully Beyond Salem (if it's a success) makes them reconsider, but I think DAYS has always had a bigger international profile as well, much like B&B.

• Members

The first episode was not bad- it was easy to follow for someone who does not watch DAYS regularly.  I suspect by Friday that they are either leading up to Kristian Alfonso returning as Hope/Princess Gina or recasting the character of Hope/Princess Gina given the amount of time the show spent talking about the characters in the first episode.