DAYS Spinoff: Beyond Salem Discussion Thread

• Members

It’s sad that today’s episode would never be done on the main show.  It’s fun, sexy, and while not exactly modern, it certainly feels more modern than any of these soaps do.

Soaps- DAYS included, didn’t used to be so afraid of everything.

Chandler really won me over again with his enthusiasm in the club scene.  Even before they were in drag, he couldn’t stop dancing next to Leo.  I also love how awesome Billy Flynn has been in every episode.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One thing (among many, IMO) that the Snyder/McPherson regime got right is that they should be around as part of the firmament, at least Carrie should. Are they the most exciting characters on Earth - no. But Christie Clark is one of those soap lifer kids who, like Kimberly McCullough or Erin Torpey at OLTL, has a sense of history and a long memory with the audience and a kind of quiet integrity that precedes her and makes her innately believable and sympathetic. Making her a lawyer was smart, whereas it doesn't work at all with Belle who still seems older than most of the cast. Carrie can do a lot on the show.

• Members

That right there was my favorite part. I was howling. Chandler did so good with his drag queen dancing

Please register in order to view this content

I also liked the look on Will's face when the one drag queen called him a snack

Also I just appreciated all the extras at the club. If this was on the main show, the drag competition would've had one extra and taken place in the Horton Town Square.

Leo: It's a long story involving a snatched wig and an oversized cucumber...

Chad: What. WHAT IS HAPPENING.

Billy Flynn is giving me life this week

Edited by AlexElizabeth

• Members

I agree.

It is a hobby horse of mine that every soap needs at least a "good guy" and "good girl" that are maybe not as layered and complex but that anchor the rest of the more screwed-up characters around them by being normal and decent.
That was my defense of Tripp too a few weeks ago. Or Chase on GH. Or why killing off Maureen on GL backfired so much even if she hadn't had much to do.
And they don't have to be necessarily boring (Tripp is written boringly so far, I will grant that). A good person can be compelling and someone we root for. Not everyone has to be an anti-hero and it actually helps enhance the stakes of stories and make the "bad characters" pop. It is the same concept as "straight man" vs "funny guy" in comedy.
Sami would never have been Sami - both as a character and in our minds - if it hadn't been for Carrie.

• Members

This entire thing has been incredible, and incredibly fun. It feels like appointment tv to me, where I can’t wait to sit down and pay attention while watching lol. 

I’d love to see Beyond Salem 3 or 4 times a year....talk about something to look forward to. I hope it’s a big enough hit to give us more.

— So much comedy and so many laughs all week. A ton of gay stuff, and all done so well, including the drag.

— WilSon is back. Chandler smirked about 80% less than usual lol and Zach Tinker is a perfect Sonny (and hot to death). They are CRAZY if they bring back Freddie Smith.

— Billy Flynn has never been more appealing, and yes, Dat Ass. He leans into all the homoerotic moments and loves it. Great ally.

— VK and RSW were great at the party, and they’ve been fun this week. What beautiful people they are.

— Eileen Davidson can do no wrong. Period. Loved it all, and enjoyed Lisa Rinna, too. Peter Porte was fun, and he looks sexy, too.

— Jackee was fun to have around, and the show did a great job with icons like Deirdre Hall and Drake Hogestyn. I could name more, but I’m just repeating what you’ve all said.

One more episode. And yeah, the mother ship does pale next to this. It’s just been a real gift to soap lovers.

• Members

So that finale... a bit over the top for my tastes. Was very happy to see Sonny and Will one last time (but hopefully not really the last time). I do hope this spin-off is success enough that they order more episodes. While I didn't enjoy everything, it was overall fun and the most entertained I've been with a soap opera in years.