Y&R: Tony Morina accused of sexual harassment. Sony being sued.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not especially surprised that the soap media has mostly remained mum about this. CBS looks to be hoping that the story will just fade. Morons is not Moonves, after all. It's really up to the mainstream media to keep agitating and pursue the story since the Fairmans are much too intertwined with the CBS/Sony/soapdom brass to be critical.

EDT-Oops, I meant Morina, but I am not mad at auto-correct, for once.

• Members

That's a possibility but it's very likely that they never intended to keep the story up, knowing how dependent they are on Sony's and CBS talent and insiders for their blog's content. THR, Variety and Deadline, otoh, are not reliant on that whole soapdom for their existence and reportage. CBS, and Sony/Y&R, in fact are much more dependent on those major media outlets to help them maintain some kind of relevance. This is why, if this story is to have any type of continuity in the follow-up, it will be up to those major entertainment media outlets to follow up on the story, not the soapcentric media.

• Members

Personally, I agree. 

I do think that they all probably believe that they are protecting the bottom line (although most are unlikely to admit this). Of course, protecting the bottom line is arguably what led to daytime soaps falling into the dire state that they're currently in.

• Members

Very interesting article.thanks for sharing.

Re Y&R. It seems that hiring Susan Dansby and adding a few black actors on recurring seems to be the extent of making changes.

Not making any statement in response to the Briana Thomas allegations speaks volumes. It seems the whole thing will just go away.Thomas has no power or support.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I read when @Errol posted an article in the SoapLine thread.

I was parsing Sony's "legalese" but it seems as though they are going for some types of plausible deniability. The line about the company only speaking on behalf of themselves and no other party. Would the other party be Anthony Morina?

• Members

Jill Phelps is glued to Variety.com, wondering if she can come out of her much heralded retirement.  There's no hope for Y&R even if Morina and Griffith are removed. CBS and Sony have systematically destroyed the show with each hire starting in 2006 with Latham.  Who knew that Maria Bell's 4 year era was the last that preserved at least some of the classic elements of the Bell/Alden era.  

Edited by RavenWhitney

• Members

Re: Jill Farren Phelps. Difficult one because yes, she’s an experienced administrator and can work within/under budget, but in my opinion, she fundamentally changes the fabric of a show, and not always for the better.

Maria Arena Bell started well in fixing the production and reinstating some of the old writers (and directors) after the previous regime got rid of them, but things fell apart when Scott Hamner and Hogan Sheffer’s influence became greater. 
I then believe Phelps’ tenure made things worse, removing the old music wholesale, signing off on Head Writers unsuitable for the show (Griffith, Passanante and Altman, and making moves to get Chuck Pratt hired) and the chaos that ensued, especially under Pratt. If she was tempted out of retirement, I’m not confident she’d make the improvements required. 
Having made that determination, who would I offer up as an option? Who still works, has worked as an Exec Producer, and knows the show?

Noel Maxam?

David Shaughnessy?

• Members

I'd vote for Shelley Curtis.  When she produced DAYS in the '80's (w/ Al Rabin and Ken Corday), it was very Bell-like with its' emphasis on romance and emotion, it just moved quicker than Y&R and had more fantastic storylines.