GH: July 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

The pace of this show is just WTF.  One day Alexis tells Molly and "BOOM" the story gets wrapped up.  Where is the build up?  Why not have Molly working to reveal Judge Carson?   Oh wait.  We'd have Molly and TJ on for more than four days in a month.  Yet Finn seems like he's on EVERY DAY.  There needs to be some balance. At least we've gotten a brief reprieve from Michael and Wallow. I know their story is soapy, but it needs to move.  Those doe-eyed looks are just...   Besides, we need some Brooke Lynn and Chase sparks to fly!

Anna and Valentin are just jumping with chemistry.  far more than she and Finn had.

Where's Robert? lost in Europe? Robert, Mac and Felicia having next to no scenes with Maxie since the baby is just beyond ridiculous.

I like NuSpencer so far. Bechtel could be annoying, but I wish this incarnation was more true to character. Then again, I'm glad it isn't

I see the big Terry vs. Britt kicked right in.  As expected, there was a press release then nothing for two weeks. I would have rathered Britt telling Jason to go and then start pushing for the job, rather than falling into bed with Jaxass (I love that @AlexElizabeth).  It's really stupid that Jason didn't just tell her straight out.

Bored with Nina.   I wish Cynthia Watros had a character that I could give a s**t about.  

I don't mind Sasha/ Brando, a rich girl with a guy trying to make ends meet story is always good if written right, especially with the crappy in law.  An okay D-story

Did the Novak nephew really have to be named Joseph?  

Edited by slick jones

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, I hate to agree but I'm not getting my hopes up with Spencer and Trina.

We can't have nice things on our US soaps lol.

Dev should have been in love with Cameron. It felt like that was the direction they wanted to go in. Ashton should have been Spencer. Dev was becoming a schemer but I assume they just figured Spencer would make more sense in that role and I'd have to agree. Why some new kid when it should be Spencer? I do think the teens need to expand though. It's always just the three/sometimes four of them. Don't they have other friends? lol

I liked the Judge Carson story point. It seems more like a 'get out of jail free card' but at the same time, any attention brought to injustice faced EVERY DAY is needed. I appreciate they went there. Could it be or have been more? Sure, but it's a start.

Joe Novak? LMAO

I see bits of nuSpencer that remind me of oldSpencer. But the schtick wouldn't work. I do think some of the tendencies he had as a kid could be highlighted. It's still early.

I get this Sonny story was so Mumbles could do something else and not have to 'be the star of the show' but like ... let's get going here. I agree on Nina. I will always love Watros but Nina is still not the 'legacy character' Frank wants her to be. She never will be.

The whole Monica is back/Terry thing felt added in, personally. I'll believe any sort of story there when I see it.

I will say they finally heard my bitching and are using the cast a bit better (Bobbie, Scott, Lucy, Kevin and Monica are as involved as I need them to be at this point). But it never seems to last.

I also shouldn't have to say "I'm happy they're on so much" (lol at so much, which is still not much) but it's been great seeing Molly and TJ. Also nice that Stella is still around.

Anyone else think Lenny's gonna bit the bullet (they made a point twice to highlight his heart condition) and just Phyllis goes back to PC with Sonny? I like Lenny and Rif Hutton but they seem more interested in developing Phyllis.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

The Q mansion is just a little TOO teal for me lol. It's nitpicky I know. I do like the overall remodel and changing of the door. 

The Corinthos house just looked larger and nicer before. I don't like the fireplace. However it feels like something Laura Wright's Carly would remodel and add so I guess it works LOL. It reminds me of Carly's old house a bit.

Just nitpicky stuff LOL

I didn't think we needed to see Charlie's (those scenes could have been at Kelly's) but I forgot Ava owned it LOL so I guess it made sense we saw it.

I feel like the only one who thinks about the use of sets lol but I know I'm not

• Members

I see some ways in him that remind me of the old Spencer as well, but a more adult version of him. He still appreciates/understands the finer things in life, and is still pretty sharp. I liked the way he approached Trina at her party. I like how he strolled up to her with his well fitted clothes and tucked in shirt, looking tall and handsome. He wasn't going to approach her, formally meet her looking super casual lol. I also think he will end up showing a snarkier side when he starts to interact more with Cam. I remember the way he used to get into it with Cam, when they were little and I could see that happening again now that they are older. Especially if Cam doesn't end up approving of his relationship with Trina. Which I think will end up happening, at least after the truth about Spencer comes out. 

This version of Spencer also reminds me of Nikolas. Especially with the way he carries himself. He definitely is a Cassadine and I'm looking forward to watching more and him and him with Trina.

Also, did anyone enjoy those scenes with Cam apologizing to Jake the other day?

I actually thought those scenes were heartwarming and sad. Both boys being upset about their messed up father/father figures situation. Liz and Maxie have the worst luck when it comes to keeping father/father figures around for their children. It's pitiful. Cam/Jake/Aiden have to deal with their father/father figures either being deceased (Zander/Franco), living a dangerous lifestyle and focusing on other people's families (Jason) or not being on canvas, really being around for them. (Lucky). 

It's really unfortunate. Maxie is just as bad off if not worse, because every time you turn around she is having one of her kids kept from her for one reason or another. At least Liz has all of her kids with her. And Maxie's luck with men is really bad as well. They killed off multiple love interests for her including Nathan who IMO was good for her/to her. 

It's really rough the way they do these two women when it comes to stuff that happens with the men in their lives and how that impacts their children. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Well (and I admit this is a stretch), considering Ava’s mother is Delia Reid, and Delia had involvement with Joe himself once upon a time, I wonder if that will play into this storyline at all…

• Members

Carly: "Britt doesn't look happy. Looks like Jaxass wasn't the consolation she thought."

Please register in order to view this content

Remember, like, 2 days ago when Carly claimed she had no idea what Jax was talking about when he said that Carly has always run off all of Jason's women? You can't tell me that she isn't loving every second of being engaged to Jason, and that she doesn't absolutely hate that Jason is into Britt. She's annoying as hell!

Monica: "Do you think you can be happy?"

Jason: *pouting, looking constipated, holding back tears* "Yea..."

It was fun seeing Monica roll her eyes when she hugged Jason, but why is almost everyone's reaction to this news just, "Okay, cool, happy for you." Sam was shocked/upset and Britt is obviously pissed, but everyone else just kind of like "meh." It's so lame. How is nobody seeing that this engagement is a total sham? How is nobody seeing that Jason looks like he wants to commit suicide? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Liz and Finn have the same damn conversation every time they're on. They should've had Liz go behind Finn's back and get Jason involved. Then Liz and Finn could have that drama to deal with. Instead they just have the same convo in the hall every day and nothing happens.

• Members

No, we generally can't. And, if we do, they don't last long.

ITA. I feel like this is a continuation of the Jordan-Portia chat at the gym last month, and, again: it is a topical issue that is happening, and it is exactly what William J. Bell and Agnes Nixon used to do with their storytelling.

Oh, see, I like the lighter colours, especially since the previous set was increasingly dark and, even with high-definition cameras, looked old and very dark.

Not going to lie... I miss Carly's old house that Jax built for her. Wish we could have just had a remodel of that with richer colours.

Oh, I think about it. Not to mention: for a while, whenever we were on the Crimson set, we never saw outside of Nina's office, because it was clear they weren't building up the outer set.
It makes me wonder Wyndemere will receive some kind of small remodel within the next few months, especially if Ava continues to live there with Nikolas.
Or if portions of the original set will return at some point.

• Members

Monica's reaction just totally deflated me, honestly. I chalked it up to her just not giving a [!@#$%^&*] anymore. LOL. I'm enjoying the usage of Monica lately. I hope it continues. They do a good job and then she usually vanishes for a while.

Carly is LOVING it (and it is totally in character for her). I wish the show would just write her 100% in character and own it. Their problem is the desire to have Carson be some soulmate/supercouple, so to have Carly be all "YAY I WON JASON" would slap them in the face so they seem to write Carly borderline on where she should be, if that makes any sense.

Liz literally falling asleep as Finn talks summed them up perfectly. They can stay friends. It has been nice seeing a happier, IDGAF Liz (a dead Peter and Franco will do that to you I suppose). Loved the "do babysitters bring vodka?" (well ...). Reminded me of chain smoking bitchy Liz from 97. 

I do keep forgetting the Hayden factor but the show doesn't seem interested in Hayden ... and why do we never get any Liz/Violet scenes? Liz is her freaking AUNT. Anywho ...

I'd like Carly's house back too.

Wyndemere did seem to undergo some cosmetic changes. Not drastic but they did update it (or at least "that room" we always see). I'd like to see the rest of it though. Seems like it's always that one room now LOL. 

Agreed on the really dark old Quartermaine set colors. I appreciate the brightness in that regard and the modernizing of it. It works and still feels familiar. Dumb question but are there two studies/living rooms so to speak? There's a modern sitting room and then the office with the old color scheme. I'm seeing on social media folks are getting confused and it's making me confused. We've always had two different sitting rooms right?

I have to say GH has a decent amount of sets they rotate through. I'll give them that. 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

It seems like the Quartermaine set has had two living spaces: the first is right off the living room, and the second is the study (which they've been using the past few episodes), with the balcony off its side. But they've both existed, yes. I think the confusion is because the study did often resemble and still does resemble the old Quartermaine set.

• Members

Seems I am in the minority but I actually don't mind how they are writing Carly re: Jason.
That it is one messed up relationship has been a underplayed beat of their friendship for a long time where she is not in love with him but still feel possessive of him and want him to be hers.
This is exactly what the storyline is: she is gleeful that she has found a way to tie him down to her without either her or him being in love. She can use the "marriage" to shoo away potential rivals and be number one for him without wanting to be his real girlfriend. Which is what she has ALWAYS wanted.

It is screwed up and infuriating but it is also very egoistical Carly, in character, a richer more complex relationships between a man and a woman on a soap we are used to seeing and I like it. I wouldn't like it if these were real people I know but that's one fascinating dynamic for stories IMO.

• Members

I second AbcNbc here… Despite certain quarters on these forums deriding the quality of GH writing on here, the GH I am seeing right now has been written so true to character in recent times I cannot remember the previous time when it was this much character driven. I just watched Carly’s telling Britt the bulls**t story about her and Jason “discovering their feeling for each other”, and I thought, “that was just low AF”. And yet, it is true Carly.

I remember some people on here a few weeks back going on about “why aren’t we exploring Jason/Carly rather than Jason/Britt?”. And yet now it seems that the writers are doing exactly that - they’re exploring both at the same time, to boot. 

And re Monica’s reaction to the news, I think she’s have enough years of experience to just shrug her shoulders and let Jason do what he wants. I did find it touching that Monica was speaking to Jason as “her son”, and it’s equally moving that Jason took the time to tell Monica himself, considering he has literally no memory of Monica as his mother.

Spencer & Trina look good thus far, although I can only imagine what she will do once she finds out he’s Ava’s stalker - how would the writers realistically get them back on track, in light of the excellent character writing we’ve seen recently?

Terry’s scene with Portia was actually quite good, including their repartee with Britt midway through. I really liked that Terry was hitting the CoS stuff from her experience of being trans (which once again is being written in character), and what she could bring to the role in terms of improved services for trans people. The community issues stuff they’ve been hitting lately has been quite well done - the racist judge, the BLM stuff, and now this.

Speaking of the racist judge stuff, Molly & TJ getting involved in helping Shawn and Alexis has also been a real highlight. I actually can’t wait for Shawn’s release to occur so he can hit the rest of the town again - would be intriguing to see how he interacts with Curtis again, and hopefully Portia and Taggert too. We all know what Stella thinks about him

Please register in order to view this content

Nina/“Mike” needs a bit more of a move on, but I would not be surprised if somehow Britt found out about “Mike” and instead of telling Jason, she actively conspired with Nina to conceal the truth, as a way to get back at Carly. What a way to have the two Westbourne cousins interacting with each other…

Anna and Valentin are . The natural way they have come back to each other throughout the whole Peter storyline has been an unexpected surprised. So much to play with here, especially with the truth about baby Louise/Bailey yet to be uncovered. And I love that it’s Anna who’s catching on to Austin and who his parents are, as I believe Anna and Jimmy Lee did interact with each other way back when.

So much more I could write about, but those are my initial stream of consciousness thoughts about the current state of GH play. May the strong writing continue!

• Members

All Britt has to do now is sleep with Sonny, then she, Carly, and Brenda can all share the same storylines.  Which is not an orbit I would ever have imagined her in the last time she was on the show.  I am enjoying her and Jason together.  But Jax?  Puke.