Most Unnecessary Miscarriages

• Members

So many times miscarriage stories are a simple plot device for sheer shock value but are often detrimental to show. Of course a lot of miscarriages are the end result of a scandalous affair that shouldn’t have happened but sometimes get thrown in for no real reason. Here’s a few miscarriages I felt were completely unnecessary/overkill: 

AW: Josie’s 1997 one

ATWT: Anytime Allison got pregnant 

GL: Ed & Maureen

Y&R: Ryan & Nina, Paul & Christine

I’m quite sure I can think of some more, any others?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Days: Nicole: I remember being genuinely surprised when she went to the doctor and they told her that the baby didn't have a heartbeat. She had already lost a child at that point and did not need to lose a second one.

• Members

Nicole was my first thought too.  I think GH's Carly has had a few unnecessary miscarriages.  Every pregnancy she had was high risk, but she has a bunch of kids lol.

Shout out to Marlena's geriatric pregnancy on days.  I get that it got that Alex story rolling, but DH was like 60 lol.  I highly doubt she could get preggers after a one night stand with another senior citizen named Roman.

• Members

Oh gosh I forgot about Nicole and her umpteenth miscarriages, I think she rivals Amber on B&B in that department! I mean how many has she lost, two with EJ, one with Rafe, and wasn’t their one with Daniel as well? Yikes! Not to mention Holly was also presumed dead briefly as well.

That Marlena pregnancy was hilariously bad as was her stumble down the penthouse stairs all to lead to hysterical amnesia? Definitely the nadir of JER 2.0 no doubt

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yeah poor Nicole.  I don't think Rafe was ever the father of her baby.  It was Ej, Ej, then Daniel.  

Marlena's slow motion tumble down the penthouse stairs is epic.  As is John, Kate, Roman just standing there while she tumbles.  What a stupid story.  That whole thing was awful, but I can't forgive wasting Wayne Northrup in the most thankless role ever.  

• Members

BB 1998 Brooke (though it was never revealed if the pregnancy was real or if she faked it in order to stay married to Ridge when Taylor gave birth to Thomas) 

YR 2008 Lily (she miscarried Cane's child)

Edited by AlexGrimaldi

• Members

What about Sam on GH?  It wasn't a miscarriage exactly, but we had to hear about her broken uterus for approximately 7 years after that.   I still don't know how Sam had two kids without a uterus to this day.

And I will never not be grossed out by Maxie miscarrying Lulu and Dante's kid and immediately having sex with Spinelli and getting pregnant with Georgie.  EWWWWW..

• Members

Ashley & Victor

I found the whole gaslighting plot totally skeevy & difficult to watch. They were so happy and Ashley was actually nice to Adam. Only for him to exploit their relationship which inevitably lead to her tumble.

The baby switch was the cherry on top of this mean spirited sundae.This was the point where Adam's character went way off the rails. It boggles my mind that Jack remained friends with him after this. Heck this story should've been the death of Shadam.

It was even more heart breaking because Victor had just lost Sabrina and their daughter not even a yr earlier. 

I actually liked this era of Y&R but avoid it on rewatches because it's just too sad.

• Members

Christine a few years back on Y&R! I know it got Lauralee Bell an Emmy nomination, but after all that character has gone through and she has no legacy. It's crazy that Lauralee is a Bell and her character is so disrespected after being frontburner for so many years.

• Members

Paul and Emily on ATWT had a stillborn. Completely unnecessary. A bit baffling considering both were long time characters and would continue to stay on and even ended up together when the show wrapped up. 

I also wish Julia didn't miscarry Jack's baby but I guess they knew Annie Parisse was leaving by that time. 

• Members

My mind immediately went to Tad and Dixie. I was pretty young and in school but I vaguely recall someone pointing out that blood was dripping down Dixie's leg. They might have even shown it. The fact that we never got to see them experience a pregnancy and birth as a couple after all they went through is pretty sad.

• Members

On The Doctors, didn't Maggie have a pregnancy storyline that resulted in miscarriage? I'm sure it was in the early 80s when the show had a revolving door of writers, I remember reading some summaries around the Maggie being pregnant and it creating a rift between her and Matt. Even though it was a late in life pregnancy, I wouldn't have minded the pair having a child of their own. 

Ed and Maureen also would've been nice to see share a kid.

• Members

Pam's second miscarriage on Dallas. She had already had the first one when she fell from the hayloft. Then a year later she was pregnant again and was thrown from a horse. Why ??? They did that neuro fiber whatcha-ma-call-it story that amounted to nothing since she was not Digger's daughter. They then spend 9 years with Pam wanting a child, then not wanting a child, then wanting a child and going crazy trying to kill herself by not having a child. Then when she get's fried in the car accident, she was on her way to tell Bobby she could....guess what ? Have a child.