Y&R March 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

The age difference is a plot point that should be addressed. Traci or whoever could bring it up. Jack could be defensive, back off from sally, then they discuss it, Sally assures Jack she's Ok with it, he reports back to Traci etc.

Natural beats to play.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Jill was supposed to be John's young wife. Brenda Dickson and Jess Walton are 16 years younger than Jerry Douglas.

Eric Braeden has 15 years on MTS, 18 years on Eileen Davidson, 19 years on Signy Coleman, 29 years on Sharon Case and 31 years on Raya Meddine.

Peter Bergman is 36 years older than Courtney Hope. That's one of the biggest age gaps they've ever had. 

• Members

This. Not only must it be addressed, as everyone said, but it could actually make the story MORE interesting if they played that beat honestly. An exploration of why Sally is interested in an older man - daddy issues? gold digger? bitterness after bad experiences with less mature men her age (see B&B)? Or just happened- and an exploration of Jack - his track record with women, what he is looking for - is that his relationships never work - is he afraid of aging etc

SO MANY BEATS that that alone could make the story interesting because it wouldn't be about the story it would be about them as characters and the subtext. Which is what good soap is.
So expect it not to be even addressed.

• Members

Yes Sally would be legitimate in questioning Jack about the fact he has so many marriages under his belt but this is something all soaps avoid as certain characters rack up 7 or 8 marriages ...

At most they'll make vague references to having a not so great track record.

Newer viewers might think they have had maybe 2 failed marriages.

I guess that's part of a genre when characters are around for years but I think marriage is often treated too lightly.

What was the point of Jack's marriage to Emily, Sharon or Nikki (2nd time)?

If they had to happen why not just relationships instead of marriages?

• Members

Add me to the list of people wanting the age difference to be addressed. If it isn't going to be, why not? For fear of inadvertently insulting Peter Bergman? 

The fact is, there are RL marriages out there -- in our own lives, in the public sphere -- where the age difference is sizeable. It is a talking point. It prompts tons of gossip. Sometimes these marriages end up working. Sometimes they don't.

All of this to say that this is natural fodder for soaps. Is this a real romance? Is she a gold-digger? Is he being a creep? What do his kids/ex-wives think? Will this eventually lead to a pre-nupt forced on both of them by the Abbott family/Jabot board members (to protect their own financial interests) ?

I think a SL like this would allow PB to give one of the finer, more subtle performances of his career. Look, I've often had issues with PB's over-enunciation, his belabouring of certain dialogue in the old-school style. I cannot deny, however, the dedication and feeling he puts into his job. Bergman considers himself a torch-carrier for Y&R. He is a company man always promoting the show, and that's not a bad thing. And he can deliver performance-wise. He works to elevate the material wherever he can.

One thing PB does well is nostalgia, looking back, coming to terms, having a reckoning of some kind. I could see Jack falling for Sally because she makes him feel young, and excited in new possibilities again. She energises him. Behind all that, though, is the realization that Jack is not getting any younger. The ole bounder scrapping with Victor. He ain't 90, but he is past 50 and with that comes reflection. What does Jack want out of life? Is it the same thing he wanted 20/30 years ago? What does he want in relationship? Can he trust this new person entering his life? What are her motives?

Courtney Hope has smarts and maturity about her and in some ways that helps to understand why both Sally and Jack might be drawn to each other. If she was just some 22 year old brainless valley girl, it just would not be believable to us (the audience) as a pairing.

Edited by Cat

• Members

This Adam story is dumb. This show is really going hard to try to paint him as a victim, and I don’t care what happens to him. At all. I would say “Team Chelsea,” but she’s just insipid.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I actually thought it was more. Age should factor in this story. 

I don't want Amanda to take Devon back either. Maybe if he earns it but right now he hasn't. Clearly the show doesn't want fans to dislike the character.  At the same time he's begging Amanda over making a fool of her and she's rightfully thrown his efforts back in his face, we have a room of white women waxing poetic about how amazing and thoughtful he is. 

• Members

I'm not buying the Chelsea/Chloe scheme.  How in the hell could Chloe have broken into Sharon's house at least 3 times without being spotted by the Newman security people?  Also, how did Chelsea know which knickknacks were gifts from Adam to have Chloe steal them.  It stinks to high heaven!