Y&R March 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Jason Thompson has gotten into very good shape (the lats looked decent as he was lifting himself off the massage table), but it’s funny that of all the men on Y&R to show half-naked, it’s almost always him. Sometimes Bryton. This on a show with Sean Dominic, Michael Mealor, and Jordi Vilasuso.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In all fairness, Adams's first "redemption" after the baby switch and when they were starting to hint at Shadam was to save Faith from that falling barn. So not only is it manipulative but it is also repetitive and reductive.

As I said, every beat of this story is taken from something that has happened before with the same characters. It is incredibly lazy.

You know it must gall Joshua Morrow. That was literally his one asset for the show.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

Josh Morrow has one thing on this show that keeps him around.

When he goes into Dad mode.

When he isn't jumping around in his boxers (not that there's anything wrong  with that).  He plays the Dad role well.  Not sucking up to Phyllis or screaming. 

You can see where he'll miss working with AAL.  

• Members

I give him s**t but he has actually delivered the very few times the writers gave him something that needed him to deliver acting-wise.
But Nick is such a nothing character and 90% of his stories have been about him jumping from Sharon to Phyllis and vice-versa that he can coast most of the time without hurting the show.
I am disappointed that they are not using Rey to do what Sharon really needs which is a whole run of stories that don't involve the Newmans but I'd say Nick would benefit from the same. A story that involves nobody from his family and no ex of any of his family members. Someone fresh that can give some life to the character. 

• Members

I agree, it would be nice to see Nick and Sharon tread new paths.

Having Sharon find out about her Dad could be the springboard for a mystery story that she and Rey could have worked on together in their newlywed phase rather than the awful Adam story.

Nick could meet a new woman also - maybe a chance to reintroduce working class people into the show. 

Trouble is there doesn't seem to be budget for too many new characters and the casting and writing for them isn't great.

• Members

So Adam saved Faith again so Sharon can feel justified in cheating on Rey

Please register in order to view this content

The actress that plays Faith really has done a good job with the bullying storyline.

I want to know how Chelsea poisoned Rey. They had her not tell Chloe to protect her which was a cop out.

I’m glad they’ve pivoted Amanda away from that douche Devon and have her focused on her family issues instead.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

I don't think that pivot is happening. Amanda's new story seems to involve her and Devon and I see an umbrella story forming with victor or Newman's responsible for Amanda's father's death. 

We've got lily, Amanda's friend and Devon's sister, who is seeing and works with Billy, who has Newman children. 

We have Devon, who was mentored by Victor and having a baby with Abby, now Amanda's support system and erstwhile boyfriend. 

We have Moses, Devon's brother, whom we all know will be involved with Faith. 

Nate, Amanda's friend and ex, also works for Billy. 

The show seem to have taken pains to intertwine Winters/Hamiltons with Newmans. What are the odds it wasn't for this story? I don't expect any of these beats to be played though. Writers haven't been writing like that for ar least 2 years. I can't imagine them starting now. 

• Members

How about we combine my suggestion with @ajsp35801's prediction and suggest Amanda as a new potential lover for Nick?
Someone completely out of the usual cast of two or three exes he rotates between, which he really needs to get out of his rut IMO, and I'd love to see MM up against some of the Newman cast. I mentioned before I am meh about Amanda so chances to see her develop some extra connections outside the "black island" and show how good she is an actress would help spruce that up! Plus if she walked away from Dexon's toxic approach to their relationships, it would be unusual enough for a soap character that I'd grow real appreciation for her.
Plus, if you are right and Victor had something to do with her father's death, that adds another wrinkle to a potential Nickmanda romance (conflict!).
I say: chemistry-test it. It would be good for all characters involved.

• Members

The show should have done this before this story started. Now it wouldn't make sense for Amanda to get involved with Nick knowing what she knows...UNLESS she's doing so to get close to Newmans to get information about what could have happened to her father then truly  falls for Nick in the process. I talked myself into it. LOL. 

With that said, MiM doesn't need to be around Newman's to show how good of an actress she is. It's not like AH or JM are some great thespians that MiM needs to up her game. She can show her chops working off anybody, including Emmy winner Bryton James. And quiet as it's kept, the only Newman that's truly getting loads of story is Adam. Vikki and Nick are no longer THE show. 

As for Black island, if Amanda paired with a white male lead is anything at all like Lily is written with Billy then I definitely don't want it. Lily's orbit is very small. She only interacts with Billy and sometimes Vikki. Barely allowed to interact with her own family. Thank the soap Gods Amanda escaped that pairing. 

Amanda doesn't want anything to do with Devon romantically. But her support system is small and he's the only person in town that truly gets how she feels. So she swallowed her pride. 

I'm assuming the writers want him to earn her forgiveness by proving his loyalty and commitment to her. Does this mean taking on Victor billionaire to billionaire for her? We shall see.