Y&R February 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

You offer pretty much nothing but ugly criticism of Stafford and King, and your posts read like a Mean Girls Diary. That’s your business, of course, but it doesn’t make you a good judge of talent.

Same. I can see slamming a character, or criticizing an actor’s approach to a role, but when it gets personal — and ugly — I’m calling it out.

Stafford and King are both doing fine considering what’s been written for them. Do I miss Gina Tognoni? Yeah. I loved her. But I love Michelle Stafford, too. When I hear anyone discuss Phyllis, I picture MS in my mind.

Some problematic stuff in Michelle’s past? Yeah — years ago, and it’s been played to death. Talk about beating a dead horse. I think it’s time we stopped roasting Stafford for whatever happened.

Did she screw up with Victoria Rowell? If you believe everything we read, yeah. That doesn’t mean we EVER got the whole/real story about what happened. And no, I’m not blaming Rowell, either — I’d write Dru back in immediately if I could.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I admit it’s not entirely fair that my disdain for the characters seeps onto the actors. However, I don’t see a problem with the criticism of a one dimensional actress. MS with her constant grimacing, wild hand gestures (remember her cawing like a bird in the hotel lobby?) and of course the whispering for emphasis.... it gets old. I had to chuckle at getting called a mean girl for bashing the ultimate mean girl. Phyllis has gone after Cricket, Sharon, Abby, Victoria and now Sally.  The hotel lobby horny villainess thing is stale. If we are stuck with Phyllis I wish they’d write a new chapter for her. 

• Members

I'm so tired of that ugly hotel lobby. Can Gloria end up managing that place so Phyllis can go back to Jabot to be head of the digital marketing team? Abby shouldn't be owning a restaurant and instead should be caught up in the corporate drama at Newman. 

Why do they keep putting characters in the service industry instead of where they should be in terms of profession?

It reminds me of when Billy owned "On The Boulevard" instead of being at Jabot where he should be right now reviving "Glo By Jabot" for the next generation. 

• Members

I will be in the minority and say I don't mind having another place of work/different line of work added to the mix. Having everyone work at the same two companies would end up being tiresome.
Now this doesn't work so far because Phyllis and Abby are not working right now but hotel/restaurant allows for a lot of character mingling so at least in theory it doesn't bother me.
I'd add that they did this with Nick and the coffeehouse back in the day.
It is actually weirder to see characters in their 20s (cough, Kyle, cough, Summer, cough) suddenly being high management at businesses we are supposed to believe are huge corporations than to believe they would try out entrepreneurial careers different from their forebears.

• Members

I agree that there should be other business represented and there are plenty of characters for those roles.

Gloria was mentioned and I could see Nikki overseeing Society or Grape Pheonix.

If Billy/Lily were at Jabot there would be more of a hierachy with Kyle and Summer in more junior positions fighting for attention.

Regarding jobs/careers I'm surprised they never made someone an interior designer. That's a job with a lot of flexibility so that character would be more believable stopping in at Society b/w jobs than people who are supposed to be working in large corporations.