GH January 2021 Discussion

• Members

Brenda's early return was amazing soap.  I have said this recently, but the Amazing Grace montage is literally the best moment GH has had in 20 years.  It fell off the rails pretty quickly with the all Brenda, all the time stuff and Jax/Brenda was crap, but Jason/Brenda at that time was gold.  But then it went into useless Alcazar stuff, Jason/Courtney and Dobson the butler, so it's definitely a mixed bag.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Catching up on the last week.  I get Carly is older and she has been through this before.  But Carly would be screaming at everyone that Sonny is alive and would be a real mess, instead of sitting calmly on the couch.  And then her showing up at the docks was ridiculous.  Carly commanding the mob is exactly what Sarah’s Carly would be doing, but she would have had a gun herself, not just come strutting out in the middle of a gun fight.  And she would never have left, because that is who Carly is.  Impulsive and a nightmare at the worst time.

This is still supposed to be a soap right?  Daytime drama?  Then where is it?  You have actors capable of selling it- use them.

The energy is severely lacking.

Also- one episode later and I see they have remembered how awful Carly can be, because she would absolutely kidnap an old woman and be so proud of herself.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Genie Francis is literally carrying this entire story on her back. Whoever plays Cyrus was DREADFUL playing those dock scenes with Jason and then learning Florence was kidnapped. 

Was absolutely fantastic seeing Denise Alexander back. I wish they had utilized her more over the years would have loved a three generations story between Lesley/Laura/Lulu that only soaps can do. It does seem she is able to walk better now or they covered it better. 

While the show is lacking energy as said above I find it infinitely more enjoyable with Sonny and Julian gone. At this point I would take Jason and Carly taking over the mob in exchange for no more Sonny or hell at least the end of Sonny and Carly. Put me out of my misery. 

I did enjoy the end of December unraveling of Molly/TJ and Curtis/Jordan. I wish Molly and TJ were better utilized. 

Despite being very vanilla I do have a soft spot for Chase and Willow

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The show is definitely much better without Sonny and Julian. I wish Sonny would stay dead but we'd never be that lucky.

Jason and REAL Carly taking over could be great. Too bad it's Soccer Mom Carly. No offense to Laura Wright, who's great. Jason and Carly should also be hitting the sheets over their grief. Just sayin'.

I liked the unraveling of Curtis and Jordan. FakeJordan is growing on me. I wouldn't mind her jumping for a ride on Taggert. And I feel like lots could be explored with Curtis and Portia. It's also time for Jordan to lose her job ...

Agreed on Molly and TJ being severely underutilized. 

Genie Francis is carrying this SHOW. Whoever wrote the script for Friday's episode was enjoying Laura / Lesley / Cyrus. The lines were great. I was dying. It's SO nice seeing Denise Alexander back as Lesley. I wish she had been used more over the last decade but at least they always seem to find a way to utilize her. Just wish it were more often.

I was also lol'ing during Britt and Obrecht's reunion. "Did you get bangs?" ... "call the WSB, they have a 1-800-number and everything!" LMAO

I lol'd when Ryan smirked as he was wheeled into the elevator. Ryan, don't go .... I HAVE A LIST!

And with the canvas the way it is ... now's a good time to bring back Brenda for an amnesiac Sonny and bring on Spencer for angst in the teen crowd and Ava/Nikolas, Laura/Lesley/Cyrus ... it all writes itself, really.

Also paging Lucky Spencer ...

Edited by KMan101

• Members

In the old soap days, Sonny would have amnesia and end up with a new love interest once all of this is done.  Ava would somehow discover his new life and keep it to herself.  And Jason and Carly would absolutely end up falling in bed while he is gone.  And in true soap tradition, his new lady would be the complete opposite of Carly or Brenda.  Maggie or Hope on the farm type.  And it would lead to years of story and possibly actual growth with Sonny.  Or at least another real chance for him to claim he wants power above everything else.

If he’s going to be there, I want to see him doing something different for a change.

• Members

Over the last couple of days, I’ve been watching the original Sonny & Carly (Sarah Brown) storyline. From what I’ve been seeing, they paced that story really slowly but also realistically. As well, it showed exactly how toxic both characters were, and how that led from them hating each other, through the infamous hate-sex, to them eventually learning about and understanding each other, and eventually falling in love.

I know they are a not-so-much liked couple nowadays, but back then it was really riveting to watch. And when I saw the scene of LW’s Carly the other night when Jason brought her Sonny’s medal, to me it reminded me a bit of SJB’s Carly in the way she reacted (“he’s arrogant, he’s selfish, and I don’t know how I allowed myself to fall in love with him”). 

• Members

That whole period mostly ended up disappointing me - I remember them wasting Carly on that always-tedious feud with Liz (which never worked because the show was so biased in Liz's favor) and that bizarre feud with Carly and Laura that was another example of how they never really knew what to do with Laura in those years. 

• Members

Over Deception of all things too. I mean I like Deception in it's original incarnation since we saw develop into what it became. But by then I never foresaw Carly nor Laura running a cosmetics company (no offense) And even now Deception is just used for plot. 

• Members

That Deception story was ridiculous.

Laura as a social worker was such a natural fit, and yet they only had her see one kid that reminded her of the then dead Lucky and then she had the incident with the train and it was pretty much over for her until the Rick story.  She just floundered.

What I wanted, back then, was for Laura to

discover that Lucky was alive and Stefan had him.  It should have happened at the same time Luke was searching for him.  I think watching Laura piece some of this together and then dealing with Stefan not telling her would have been much stronger than what we got.  But by then the characterization of Laura being the little lady sitting at home while Luke was off on an adventure was set in stone.  But there were so many issues at that point with both Guza and Riche.  The show was sloppy and the casting was off for several roles.

• Members

It’s undeniable the chemistry between Maurice Benard and Sarah Brown. Those scenes post-Juan’s beating and his subsequent breakdown were just phenomenal. Whoever had the idea of putting them together in the first place hit paydirt.  And again I will just say how impressed I was by how slowly the story was paced at the time. You could actually see each brick in their resistance coming down one by one with each part of the story.