GH November 2020 Discussion

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The last pairing that was going somewhere for me with Sonny was the original Kate.  After that it has been over a decade of misfires, while he also has aged considerably and is not capable of selling Sonny as sex symbol.  I’m not saying an older person cannot be sexy- they can and are.  He just doesn’t seem to be into it anymore.

Maurice is best as an actor when he is tortured.  Barking orders at everyone and strutting around town was never his best work.  He, like Genie Francis, plays suffering really well.  It’s why they make her do it all the time.

Basic Betty looks great. For someone who had a coke induced heart attack.

Please register in order to view this content

Everyone showing up at GH. To offer :Laura and Dante support was nice.

This is so silly at this point.

These two trying to act.

It's great to see Tracy back.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Maurice IMO can work in a secondary position as a lapsed patriarch. He was moving into it under Guza and despite endless complaining over the years, he took a lot of tougher stuff for Sonny and he'll keep taking it if people stand up to him more often. He's too old to flex, he'll either quit or hang around. Steve will never accept not being the prime protagonist, does not want Jason to evolve or be challenged, and unlike Mo I don't think he'd ever accept story against his wishes, preferably story which moves Jason into law enforcement/WSB (preferably a plea deal) or closer to the Quartermaines. So Steve is the one I'd more readily dispose of.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I do have to say that these last few weeks have been better then normal. I really enjoyed the show today.

Mo/Sonny is just done. He wasn’t even convincing in those scenes today. I’m hoping that they run with the Sam wanting out of the mob life storyline. That would actually give her and Jason something to do as a couple. 

• Members

Excellent points about Laura. Was more-so talking about Laura's initial return and giving her that house, and eventually Mary Mae as a surrogate mother, etc. It was great. But I do agree it lacked later on and it was a lot of Luke and then Lucky. I didn't love everything about Labine, all the time, truthfully, but the characters felt real, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I know they probably wanted some conflict but Laura as the 'little woman' left behind was kind of insulting and not the best writing, considering Laura's history. I felt the same later on when it seemed like they had no idea what to do with Felicia.

I didn't think of it in the context I do now, in regards to Laura being 'left behind'. Good point there. I also imagine they worried about Laura looking bad abandoning her kids to run off and help Luke. It should have been natural conflict between them.

Guza did seem to write for Laura. I guess I didn't notice it as starkly at the time and it's been so long since I've rewatched any of it.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

LOL Mumbles Benard is so awful. It's embarrassing. 

I thought DeVry looked better too! lol 

Yeah, between the ABC/Prospect Park [!@#$%^&*], Todd/Starr/McBain, 2014 and then 2015 were hot messes. HOT messes. The wheels fell off and honestly didn't recover. It also became a lot of "here's Y&R stars we stole! Look at Billy Miller! Look at Michelle Stafford!" and now, six years later, neither are here. Of course Nina's "legacy lives on" (gag)

Jason's return got me interested again in 2017 and there was definitely some momentum but it totally petered out (EDIT: reminds me of 2019 with Nikolas and Brook Lynn returning; the show had momentum and then petered out) and the show was afraid to really play the Sam/Drew/Jason triangle. It's clear Sam and Jason shouldn't be together. Sam has grown up. Jason still wants to be Sonny's bitch. Can we get a scene of Liz telling Sam "see bitch, told you". Didn't Sam judge the HELL out of Liz under Guza?

Speaking of that, I agree it's time to shake that orbit up. Jason/Sonny/Carly/Sam is stale. It's not cute. Jason isn't a confused 20 year old anymore. Sonny isn't slightly charming anymore. None of it works. Carly as their enabler works the most, weirdly.

I think under better writers (and less catering to Burton and Benard), Jason and Sonny could be much better characters and I do think they have earned a place on the show. I have to say that Sonny is the more tired of the two, IMO. Mumbles is checking out and he's painful to watch. Burton seems afraid to do anything but Stone Cold. Still.

I agree with others that they just gave up on finding a love interest for Sonny not named Brenda and stuck him and Carly together. Really don't understand how they became so "untouchable" though. It's such a toxic relationship. It weirdly works but also doesn't at the same time. I see a lot of Brenda in the writing for Laura's Carly mixed with some OG Carly. It's weird.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

@KMan101I think CarSon is "untouchable" because Frank can't be bothered with them as a pairing or individuals but knows he can't get rid of them.  He just deals with them because of Benard.  LW and Benard are going down with this ship so Frank allows them to believe they are the patriarch and matriarch of GH.  I watch about twice a month and neither really has a story and haven't for quite some time.  Back in the day, they would have been toast.  

• Members

I am not really sure where you can go with Sonny and Carly.  They are past the point of a 3rd party love interest not named Brenda.  Maybe they could put Jax into the mix, but the show isn't really going there.  Carly has picked up some Brenda characteristics along the way and lost a lot of what made Carly different.

I agree that LW and MB are in it for the long haul, so the easiest thing to do is just keep them together.  It's true they don't really have a story, they are just inserted to others.  I think it's just a lazy way to keep a mildly popular couple together.  LW does try, but MB can clearly care less about the Carson pairing.  He doesn't even pretend to be into it.  But the last time I thought MB was into a performance was probably 2011-2012 when his marriage to Brenda broke up and some of the Kate/Connie stuff.  I guess he tried with the Mike stuff too.

I think the show could easily pair LW back up with Ingo, but Sonny doesn't really have anywhere to go.

• Members

I'd seriously like to see if lightning strikes twice and bring in David Andrew MacDonald (Edmund, Guiding Light) and pair him with LW.  Let him be the teacher who took advantage of Carly when she was 16 but she's drawn to him now.  Their chemistry on GL was just cruel!  I'd give just about anything to see them together again.