GH November 2020 Discussion

• Members

I get the sense the show just gave up on Sonny pairings and was like "why not?" with Carson.  I never, ever got the vibe that Carson was the endgame couple but I guess they are. And they gave them another kid for absolutely no reason.  LW and MB work fine as scene partners, but there isn't a lick of romantic chemistry between them.  None.  I think Millow might have more chemistry than Carson lol.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

CarSon is hardly Steve and Audrey Hardy.  Laurel and Hardy, perhaps.  

And as much as some don't like the criminal element, I love the mob, just not Frank and Benard's mob.  Sonny is not a good guy and everyone respecting him is a colossal joke.  Bringing in a slug like Cyrus doesn't make Sonny less of a slug.  He's just another slug Jason and Sonny will eventually beat.  How many times have done this?!

You know Frank can't be bothered with Benard/Sonny but he's afraid of Benard and let's him have too much influence over the writing.

I strongly believe they brought in Fargo (Liz Hendrickson) for Sonny and LW wasn't having it.  At that time, she would be out in the cold and LW wasn't having that.  She'd rather the black hole aka CarSon than Carly not having a love interest.  We all know a woman not having a love interest on a soap is doomsday.    

• Members

I mean, they can always pair LW with Ingo.  They actually have chemistry.  I am genuinely surprised the show hasn't just bit the bullet and hired VM back to please MB.  Liz Hendrickson was way too young for MB and honestly just another petite brunette for him.  Again, MB and LW do work well together just not in a romantic sense.  Them being in domestic bliss for years now just doesn't ring true nor is it exciting at all.  

• Members

I sense they were going there with Sonny and Margaux but it quickly ended before it even began. I mean it wouldn't be the first time Sonny cheated with a petite brunette or a legal eagle. 

I know they aren't Steve and Audrey. I was talking about how they are written to be the show's main couple with the most history. 

• Members

It did seem like they were going somewhere with it and then it was dropped.  She definitely was his type but it would have been the same old story.  Affair with a Brenda lookalike then back to Carly.  I don't really need that.  She would have been in a long line of temporary love interests that Sonny has had.  And they had some chemistry but nothing that wowed me.  Honestly, the only women I think Sonny's had chemistry with are VM, SJB, TB, and Megan Ward as Kate.    Think of how many love interests he's had besides them.  That is a problem for sure.

• Members

He had some slime ball chemistry with Karen, and back in the day I thought he and Genie Francis had quite a bit of chemistry.  And the show would never have gone there back then or now probably.  But it was there.

I felt the Steve and Audrey thing when they started showing that kitchen set.  Of all the characters to start having kitchen scenes?!?  At what point in time have we ever been given an idea that Carly cooks anything?

LW has had chemistry with several pairings except this one, I will never understand giving them another child and marrying them.  They have zero heat.  Tony and Bobbie had more heat, and I found them to be the most boring couple on the show for ages until they broke them up.

• Members

Yeah I guess he did have chemistry with Cari Shayne.  Karen was just so bland.  I hated her lol.  I know that's unpopular. 

I mean Sonny is well known for his cooking skills so I give the kitchen a pass.  And I like analyzing the weird moss bowl they have and it's growth and Jason's hatred for it.

Aww..I sorta liked Tony and Bobbie, but I loved Stefan and Bobbie and they ended that quick.

Seriously though, LW and MB have zero heat.  I can buy the like each other but I literally cannot buy the fact they have sex and are attracted to one another.  It's definitely not the most offensive pairing on GH, but when you have seen the actors sparkle with others it's very lackluster.  And this sounds vain, but physically she isn't Sonny's type at all.  The show has actually pointed out Sonny's penchant for petite brunettes and he ends up with a tall blonde lol?

• Members

I'll go you one shallower and say that, at this point, I don't want to think about Sonny having sex with anyone. I mean, MB was pretty hot back in the 1990s when Sonny was introduced (and even hotter when he played Nico back on AMC), but these days...

• Members

I never thought MB was that hot.  He was damn sexy in the 90's though.  I think Ingo is physically much hotter, but I might be in the minority.  I don't think he aged badly, just not my type.  Him and Brenda were literally smoking in the 90's but I kinda agree.  I don't want to think about him having sex.  I get weird flashbacks to him wearing wife beaters circa 2010 lol.  And his love scenes tend to be very awkward.  It's weird how he can be fine in love scenes with certain acting partners and then be completely uncomfortable with others.

• Members

TBH Guza was onto something near the end of his run with Sonny. He had clearly tired of Mo at one point, and the writing became much more critical of Sonny and his failings for a long stretch around the time Michael went off to prison and got raped. Others have mentioned this upthread; it was bold to see Jason, Carly, etc. openly admitting they had fùcked up and ruined Michael's life. Sonny slowly began to be moved into a sort of flawed, dark patriarch position that seemed healthier and more viable to me - he was not the center of action or all story. Problem is the show never went all the way with it, it still had these three on nonstop and ultimately moved them back to hero positions. Meanwhile they had JJ back, opposite Dominic Zamprogna, as buddy cops and they did not play them everyday like Luke and Scorpio: The Next Generation. That shít is crazy to me. That was the future of the show.

I don't think you need to fire Maurice to fix this problem. I do think they need to face facts about these guys now getting very old - Steve and Kelly both look like hell all of a sudden, and Maurice has looked rough for a number of years. You can move Sonny back to the position Guza had him in, work to change the nature of the character - send him to prison, then humble him, move him to white-collar crime stuff like so many other ex-soap crooks or tycoons (Victors on DAYS or Y&R, etc). Bring Brenda back and give her the lion's share of their joint story, whatever. And I'd still kill Jason off, I don't give a fùck, but there are ways to manage Burton too. Cut Carly loose from Sonny. These are all things that can be done but they won't ever do, bc they're afraid of their ebbing older audience who only wants to watch the mob. You could modernize and streamline this show in a million ways, but all Frank or ABC care about is running out the clock for as long as possible on nickels and dimes and preserving what little audience there is, while Frank gets to keep hiring friends and sort of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic the rest of the time.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The Carly that Maurice had the most chemistry with was Tamera Braun. He was the manic depressive outlaw and she was the petulant diva trophy wife. It was a toxic but watchable dynamic. Laura and Sarah were okay with Sonny. Sarah had the most chemistry with Jason.

I agree that Jason's best moments are the stoic guy next to the high strung female character. I would argue Carly 1.0 and Brenda had the most chemistry with Jason of all female interests.

• Members

I would 100% accept Sonny going to prison, figuring his life out, and re uniting with Brenda.  They can live together on screen or off screen.  I don't care.  Most fans would be fine with that.  To me, Sonny's character should have ended in 1997 when he left Brenda.  Realizing what the mob has cost him and living on the run forever.  Perfect character arc.  And let's be honest has Sonny done anything that great in the last 23 years?

I disagree about Jason. I would keep him over Sonny.