GH November 2020 Discussion

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The show may have only started saving their episodes after the David Hamilton story aired. He died in 1978, and it was just around that year most soaps started preserving their episodes. (GH's earliest years, when it was owned by Selmur Productions, were saved, but when ABC bought the show, they "wiped" the episodes until 1978 or 79.)

• Members

Right. The original owners/producers of GH, Selmur Productions, reportedly preserved the episodes made under their control (the way Colgate-Palmolive saved The Doctors), but when ABC bought the show, they wiped/erased all of their episodes until the late 1970s, when TPTB finally woke up and realized that they may be able to make a profit out of their soap libraries one day. I have seen some home-recorded material of David Hamilton on youtube, but the quality was atrocious; not broadcast-worthy. Still, ABC may have some random episodes lying around, from before they started keeping them all. The Guiding Light had Papa Bauer's funeral, and GH found an early episode of Laura and Scotty under the Christmas tree, which the show had to convert to a playable format. So who knows what may be floating around? I just doubt anyone is interested in going through the time and trouble of finding long-gone treasures from the 1970s.

• Members

I remember when ABC came out with those VHS documentary shorts in the 1990s (All My Children: Daytime's Greatest Weddings, All My Children: Behind the Scenes, etc.) there was an article in one of the soap magazines about how ABC had to get permission from all the actors who were featured in those old clips.  It was, to say the least a huge undertaking on their part.  I imagine those original agreements did not cover special projects or repeat episodes.  These days, I'm sure current contracts that actors sign cover everything under the sun so that the network has more control over how footage is used in the future.

• Members

I believe you are correct that the old contracts did not include special projects like home video VHS or dvds.  So actors must agree to allow their scenes to be released for those purposes, or the project cannot go forward.  But I'm fairly certain that reruns and flashbacks were included in the old agreements, and the producers do not need to get permission from the actors for those purposes, although they do have to be paid.   

Regarding VHS releases, Beverlee McKenzie famously refused permission to use her scenes in Guiding Light's Roger Thorpe video release.  So that video does not include any of Roger's and Alex's famous fights.   At least that is what was reported at the time.  

On the other hand, I do not know if Dark Shadows producers had to get permission from all their actors before releasing the entire series on home video.   If they did, it seems likely that at least one of them would have refused, and that does not seem to have occurred.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Dev was a waste, and Eden is just bland.  The type you cast to be the best friend of the star, so she doesn’t pull focus.  Competent, but not the star.

I did what I have always done since Frank arrived.  I watch in spurts, and I see some good things, and many not so great things, and a lot of bland production decisions.  I don’t know what to even wish for anymore, because they can’t or won’t deliver.

• Members

I don't think that Marcy Rylan is particularly good in this scene, but she's no worse than the other two actors in the scene with her, which is part of the problem with GH these days. If you wanted to clear out all the "deadweight" actors who are sleepwalking through their scenes, there would barely be anyone left.

And really, how can anyone give a good authentic performance when they have to work with that lousy dialogue? Soap scenes like this are supposed to be about what the characters are feeling, but these people are speaking almost entirely in exposition. 

• Members

Watching yesterday’s episode-  why don’t these shows play any of the beats.  The luxury they have is time.

Sonny lighting a candle and saying he prayed for Dev, then just dispatching Jason to deal with the plot mechanics is such hollow writing.  And actually playing everything out would have cost them nothing, but gained me caring more about what was going on.

Guza destroyed the show for me, but I will never say he was not a great writer of traumatic events.  We would have gotten scenes of everyone reacting to Dev before he died, going over their own emotions and hopes for him to make it, including people that did not like him. I’m not saying Dev deserves this much attention- just that to accomplish the drama of the storytelling they should be ringing it dry.

Jesus I miss when these shows and even plot driven events even tried to bring out any emotions.  Now they just plow right through.

• Members

Lmaooo I can see Scott doing this 

That’s what I’ve been saying. Phelps/Guza decimated GH, but the writing (and even the acting in some cases) was so much better. 

This is going to make no sense whatsoever, but it’s like Phelps/Guza’s GH was better then current GH but at the same time it was worse then current GH lol  

Edited by AbcNbc247