GH November 2020 Discussion

victoria foxton

• Members
30 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Lmaooo I can see Scott doing this 

That’s what I’ve been saying. Phelps/Guza decimated GH, but the writing (and even the acting in some cases) was so much better. 

This is going to make no sense whatsoever, but it’s like Phelps/Guza’s GH was better then current GH but at the same time it was worse then current GH lol  

Phelps/Guza were more exciting overall.  Yes, it was at the overall detriment to the show and yes, there were periods of sheer boringness where nothing happened, but they could do a big, splashy sweeps event.  Guza just paced his big events better.  It's not like he paced the overall show better: I can think of a several stories that drug on and on, but he in general produced a show where stuff was happening.  I get what you are saying.  Something is missing on current GH.  It may be the cast too.  There are a lot of duds and characters I don't care about on the show.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
4 hours ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Lmaooo I can see Scott doing this 

That’s what I’ve been saying. Phelps/Guza decimated GH, but the writing (and even the acting in some cases) was so much better. 

This is going to make no sense whatsoever, but it’s like Phelps/Guza’s GH was better then current GH but at the same time it was worse then current GH lol  

I know exactly what you mean.

I have an observation about Dev and Dustin's deaths. In old school classic GH. When someone died. It was felt by the whole Port Charles community. Since everyone crossed over and interacted. With Dev and Dustin i don't remember. Either one really interacting with other characters. Outside their stories. So their deaths don't have any real dramatic gut punch.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members
15 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

I know exactly what you mean.

I have an observation about Dev and Dustin's deaths. In old school classic GH. When someone died. It was felt by the whole Port Charles community. Since everyone crossed over and interacted. With Dev and Dustin i don't remember. Either one really interacting with other characters. Outside their stories. So their deaths don't have any real dramatic gut punch.

I will add something else to that- the dramatic weight also used to be added by having characters like Dr. Hardy, Tony, Alan, Monica, Lesley, etc be the ones to tell their loved ones.  Even Guza and Phelps knew this was important- if they wanted you to care about the death at all, even if it was more about the mourning characters than who died, they had an important character from the hospital involved.  Noah Drake, Patrick, Robin, and even sometimes they would still trot Monica out.

I love Brooke Kerr, but other characters with more ties should also have been there.  They are missing out on the classic soap drama of a person being wheeled in to the ER is a loved one of a doc or nurse on duty. Come on GH!

And yes, Guza during JFP had a lot of padding between events.  But there was so much more focus on character.  The problem was it was the same 6 to 8 characters for close to a decade, while they faded everyone else out and or killed them off.  And the Sonny propping above all others.

Edited by titan1978

• Members
On 11/24/2020 at 11:01 AM, victoria foxton said:

Please register in order to view this content

Yep. It's true and spot on. Vee is exactly right.

On 11/24/2020 at 7:36 PM, titan1978 said:

Dev was a waste, and Eden is just bland.  The type you cast to be the best friend of the star, so she doesn’t pull focus.  Competent, but not the star.

I did what I have always done since Frank arrived.  I watch in spurts, and I see some good things, and many not so great things, and a lot of bland production decisions.  I don’t know what to even wish for anymore, because they can’t or won’t deliver.

Pretty much nails it on both counts

• Members
18 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

Oscar’s death and aftermath lasted FOREVER, yet Dev gets a “whatever” from Sonny and a fake ass sob from Joss???

lol. Dev was such a throwaway, sadly. They aren't even trying.

I do think Dev and Cam had potential. Dev should have been scheming to keep Joss and Trina away from Cam because HE wanted Cam. Definitely missed potential but we'd never get that kind of story. 

22 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I will add something else to that- the dramatic weight also used to be added by having characters like Dr. Hardy, Tony, Alan, Monica, Lesley, etc be the ones to tell their loved ones.  Even Guza and Phelps knew this was important- if they wanted you to care about the death at all, even if it was more about the mourning characters than who died, they had an important character from the hospital involved.  Noah Drake, Patrick, Robin, and even sometimes they would still trot Monica out.

I love Brooke Kerr, but other characters with more ties should also have been there.  They are missing out on the classic soap drama of a person being wheeled in to the ER is a loved one of a doc or nurse on duty. Come on GH!

And yes, Guza during JFP had a lot of padding between events.  But there was so much more focus on character.  The problem was it was the same 6 to 8 characters for close to a decade, while they faded everyone else out and or killed them off.  And the Sonny propping above all others.

Exactly. 

Portia is fine but it's exactly like you say. There's no one there to have those reactions. They're just missing the point. They're handling some of it well, some of it not so much. 

And now we have a recast Lucas so the impact remains lost. Lucas feels like a stranger. He finally gets to play doctor and interact with people he long should have been and it's a recast. Sigh.

• Members
8 hours ago, KMan101 said:

lol. Dev was such a throwaway, sadly. They aren't even trying.

I do think Dev and Cam had potential. Dev should have been scheming to keep Joss and Trina away from Cam because HE wanted Cam. Definitely missed potential but we'd never get that kind of story. 

Exactly. 

Portia is fine but it's exactly like you say. There's no one there to have those reactions. They're just missing the point. They're handling some of it well, some of it not so much. 

And now we have a recast Lucas so the impact remains lost. Lucas feels like a stranger. He finally gets to play doctor and interact with people he long should have been and it's a recast. Sigh.

Dev was a throwaway because they never settled on who he was. Every time he appeared in an episode, he had a different personality.

NuLucas seems to have a lot of fans, but I miss Ryan Carnes because he made that Brucas relationship believable. I really saw those two together, and the actors went out of their way with touching and affection and looks that went beyond their dialogue.

I don’t see any chemistry between this recast and Parry Shen.

• Members

Actually, while most of the remaining legacy GH characters are barely seen (Scotty, Bobbie, Monica, etc.), we get a huge number of unimportant newbies coming and going all the time. And a focus on a few repugnant characters like Sonny, Carly, Franco, Jason and Sam, all of whom need to be de-emphasized or written out. I'd say 75% of the current, bloated cast needs to be axed.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members
55 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

Actually, while most of the remaining legacy GH characters are barely seen (Scotty, Bobbie, Monica, etc.), we get a huge number of unimportant newbies coming and going all the time. And a focus of a few repugnant characters like Sonny, Carly, Jason and Sam, all of whom need to be de-emphasized or written out. I'd say 75% of the current, bloated cast needs to be axed.

Pretty much sums it up. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

Pretty much sums it up. 

I saw on Twitter that Mo Bernard got annoyed at a fan for condemning GH's criminal characters never getting punished and being treated as romantic leads by TPTB. He replied with a picture proclaiming, "I WON!"

Okay, I'll grant that he has won by still being employed and receiving a pay check, but the ratings for GH have been in the toilet for many years. With all the disgusting, unpunished characters endlessly hogging up air-time, has THE AUDIENCE or even THE SHOW won?

I'd say no.

• Members
13 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

I saw on Twitter that Mo Bernard got annoyed at a fan for condemning GH's criminal characters never getting punished and being treated as romantic leads by TPTB. He replied with a picture proclaiming, "I WON!"

Okay, I'll grant that he has won by still being employed and receiving a pay check, but the ratings for GH have been in the toilet for many years. With all the disgusting, unpunished characters endlessly hogging up air-time, has THE AUDIENCE or even THE SHOW won?

I'd say no.

Yeah, he definitely gets petty on Twitter. He knows a portion of the fans hate Sonny. 

And yep. No, we haven't won. 

Well said.

• Members
1 hour ago, vetsoapfan said:

Actually, while most of the remaining legacy GH characters are barely seen (Scotty, Bobbie, Monica, etc.), we get a huge number of unimportant newbies coming and going all the time. And a focus on a few repugnant characters like Sonny, Carly, Franco, Jason and Sam, all of whom need to be de-emphasized or written out. I'd say 75% of the current, bloated cast needs to be axed.

I'm a Carly fan and long thought she should have moved over to the Spencer side to help keep that family going.  I simply refuse to watch Carly with Sonny but LW is clinging to that pairing like a long lost relative.  

• Members
On 11/21/2020 at 5:19 PM, titan1978 said:

It absolutely makes sense, and I think it played the largest part in eroding soap audiences over the years.  This genre does best when steeped in things that traditionally are considered women’s stories.  Family, romance, friendship and community.  Even triangles and rivalries- often with two women fighting over the same man and the women were the dynamic and interesting characters that drove the story engine.

Even Monty’s action/adventure GH maintained that audience because those plots always had strong female characters and an important family or romance angle, or both.  The Asian Quarter storyline payoff was so strong because it was about reuniting a mother and her daughter.  The Left Handed Boy and Ice Princess were about Luke and Laura falling in love around the overall plots.

Somewhere in the late 1990’s the genre seemed to explode with storytelling choices that diminished the importance of the female characters, lost their points of view, and often was demeaning towards them.  They often were downright degrading.  I think that more than anything is what has destroyed daytime.

As far as Liz and Franco- they were doing an okay job setting up story with their family and then that all dropped.  Now after all this time I’m not even sure that Liz deserves better, because they have had her justify so much awful storylines and pairings over the years.

Very well said.