Days: October 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

I hold my hands up, Days Of Our Lives and General Hospital (to a lesser degree) have been my go-to during this period, though the big test for the former will be how quality is affected with the Covid restrictions kicking in from now on screen.

Days has been such an easy watch, and this period has felt like most things are clicking. I know this consistency doesn’t last in soaps so I’m enjoying it as much as I can.

I read here that Ken Corday has left Ron Carlivati alone to write, which may explain how things are.

Dan O’Connor and Chris Van Etten haven’t done an appalling job with GH, but this isn’t the right thread to go into it.

Edited by LondonScribe

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think that's probably one of the few advantages with DAYS's shooting schedule - it makes it easier to convince people to come back for short stints since they technically might only film for a day or two. I think it was Kassie DePavia that said she shot her scenes in like 2-3 days and those lasted for maybe 3-4 weeks.

• Members

I feel the same. It's been a good ride these past few months, and having Alison Sweeney back indeed elevates the drama and the overall fun factor in watching. Right around the time they brought on Ali and her pillow baby, knocking on Eric and Nicole's door, the show has been on a good roll. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

They're starting to pick up. It has gotten better a little better in the past week.

DAYS is still the best soap at the moment, IMO. I was actually surprised to hear that Corday might have been the reason the show was a little bad at the beginning of the year.

Can't wait for Sami to come back again. AS is going to be great in those scenes when she finds out about Allie's rape, and that Allie confided about it to Nicole and not Sami.

• Members

Charlie the intern is super-cute. I just hope the show isn't setting him up to be Allie's rapist. (Who am I kidding...that's totally what they're doing). Given his Titan connection and resemblance to JKJ, a better option would be to make him Tyler/"Pocket," taking the internship because he secretly wants to connect with his bio dad. 

Also, even though the politics of this rape storyline leave a LOT to be desired, it is leading to some wonderful character moments. It was entirely believable to see hotheaded Tripp go about things exactly the wrong way with Allie, and Lucas Adams did some fine acting work with his body language where he was intimidating Allie and Nicole. And I loved the conflict between Steve and Kayla, who's both a rape survivor and someone who's been physically assaulted by Tripp. 

Edited by prefab1

• Members

I think it's working out because it's a real conflict that is drawing multiple characters, as opposed to something so melodramatic and OTT like Stevano and Princess Gina. If this is handled well, it could turn out to be a great story.

I'm glad Lucas Adams is back. He needs to be on the show, and Lindsey Arnold is killing it. They made the right choice when casting Allie.

And agreed on Charlie. He should be Tyler. This is so much potential for that character. I get that they're trying to find a love interest for Claire, but they could have just paired her with Ben. I always thought Ben had chemistry with ORK's Claire and I've been wondering how he would be with new Claire.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Not to out myself as someone that was fine with Jonathan and Tammy on GL but they should totally do something similar with Claire and Charlie if it turns out that he is Tyler. They don't have to play out the exact same story but it would make for good drama. Just a shame ORK isn't still in the role

• Members

I thought Eli was great today.

Lamon plays the torn character very well. The idea of him being caught between saving Lani from going to prison and saving his marriage to Lani is that classic soap dilemma that I always enjoy seeing. And I really think in situations like this are when Lamon gives his strongest performances. Plus, it's a lot better then when he puts on that act that reminds me of Daniel lol

• Members

I was wondering if the regular posters here had speculated that Jack might be Gwen's father.  It seemed like they were hinting at that today. 

If Jack is the father, then the mother might be a woman named Kristina.  She was Victor's pseudo-niece/goddaughter from Europe.  Jack was sleeping with her when he was engaged to Melissa, Maggie's daughter.  Actually, they had sex in the church dressing room a half an hour before Jack and Melissa's wedding was supposed to happen.  (Jack was really bad back then).

With any other writer I would assume that they would just make up another woman from when Jack was off camera and he and Jen were divorced.  But Ron Carlivati loves to show that he knows his shows' history, even bringing up obscure characters from the past.  When he was at OLTL he regularly did this.  And, of course, he famously destroyed Genie Francis' Diana Colville with that insane story, although he did understand the importance of having her call him "Roman" when they first saw each other.

Another possibility is that Peter Blake is her father.  When Matt and Missy first returned in 2001, after a long absence, they essentially wrote that whole era out of the show's history.  It was never mentioned--not once.  The closest they came to even alluding to it was when Jen realized the truth about who Colin Murphy really was.  Headwriters Peter Brash and Paula Cwigly clearly hated Ken Corday's guidelines about that era, and took the opportunity to have Jen make a cryptic statement about how she found the wrong guy on purpose then say "you would think the past would have taught me something." 

In recent years there seem to have been some fleeting mentions of Peter.  I haven't watched the show regularly for a while now, but that is what I have gathered.  So I guess the faux era, as J&J fans used to call it, is part of the show's cannon again.  Peter could be brought back, provided the role is recast with a new actor.  Obviously, Missy Reeves and Jason Brooks will never work together again.