Couplings that happened because writers didn’t know what else to do with the characters

• Members

I was just going to point out the same two pairings- Laura/Kevin makes no sense to me, and Liz and Franco is just gross.

I have to add LW’s Carly and Sonny.  It felt after Kate died and Carly had recently broken it off with Todd that they just kind of shrugged and put them back together, and there is no heat there at all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Y&R:

Neil and Ashley

Kevin and Chloe

Nick and MW's Diane

Nick and Chelsea

Sharon and Scott

Sharon and Rey

Phyllis and Ronan

Jack and Everyone (2008-Present)

B&B

Amber and Thomas

Nick and Bridget 

Nick and Donna

Taylor and Whip

Taylor and Rick

Eric and Quinn

Katie and Wyatt

Katie and Thorne (WH and IR)

GH...

Alexis and Shawn

Sam and Patrick

Ava and Griffin

Liz and Franco

Liz and Matt

Olivia and Steve

Olivia and Sonny

Anna and Finn

Carly and Johnny

Felicia and Luke 

Edited by Vince79

• Members

Y&R 

JT and Mac

JT and Victoria 

Kevin and Chloe 

Sharon and every love interest except Nick 

Jack and every love interest except Phyllis 

Nick and every love interest except Phyllis and Sharon 

Phyllis and every love interest except for Jack and Nick 

ATWT 

Katie  and Chris 

GH 

I never thought Jason and Sam were suppose to be a long term couple until they became popular. 
Sam and Lucky 

Liz and Franco 

Edited by Soap-princess

• Members

GH Jason and Sam, for sure. She flopped with Jax and Sonny so the obvious next step was to throw her at Jason just to keep KM frontburner on the show. I think everyone knew Jasam was coming when Jason agreed to fake being the father of Baby McCall. 

Agreed that Franco and Liz is just gross. Finn and Anna... again, another excuse to keep an actor on the show. I've never seen a minute of chemistry between those two.

• Members

I think Nate and Abby on Y&R fit the bill too. They had thrown the previous Nate at everybody, figured out he wasn’t working, then proceeded to just toss Sean Dominic’s Nate at Abby, a pairing that never had any drive, momentum, story potential, or even chemistry or other entertainment value. Abby’s pairing with Chance felt a lot more intentional, and I have no idea what they plan to do with Nate, a waste of a character.

But actually most of Abby’s pairings have felt arbitrary, aside from the ones where she was in some kind of triangle (like Stitch and Scott). Again, why is she on the show? 

• Members

Apparently, poor Sam was a literal Brenda replacement. That was the plot Guza/Pratt intended for Vanessa that had to be retrofitted when she, ABC, and JFP could not come to terms to extend her original return.  Brenda and Jason were going to be paired under the same circumstances.  They just stalled it a bit to establish a ridiculous backstory for Sam that has not really been utilized in forever.

• Members

I feel like Jax is the king of useless pairings.  The quickie Jax/Skye marriage?  Chloe? Angel? Sam? Courtney?  Nina?  All lame.  Unfortunately, Ingo only sparks with LW and Vanessa Marcil, so they just throw everyone else at him instead.  They should just give him and Alexis a try, but real life stuff probably prevents that.

I still wish that story played out with Vanessa.  It could have been great.  I am not a Jason/Brenda fan, but in 2003 I'd allow it.   And I would assume Sonny/Brenda would have been the endgame on it.  Sam was not an okay replacement lol.  She just had no history to make it a good story.  Were we supposed to be rooting for her and Jason or her and Sonny or Sonny and Carly?  I still don't know.

• Members

When I read this title the first couple that came to mind was JT and Victoria, I still don't understand that pairing and never got it during it's first few iterations. I guess that's why the writing team fell over themselves when they saw dailies for "Villy" not that, that specific pairing was all that great either but at least I could see a potential story there. 

• Members

I figured  Billy and Victoria only  happened when the writers realized Mac and Billy with Clementine playing Mac wasn’t working, so they couple switched to JT/Mac and Villy. It worked out because they were able to get rid of Clementine when Thad decided to leave. Mac and Victoria are literally the same characters with Amelia in the role. 

• Members

GL’s Holly and any of her pairings after 1997! That would include Billy, Buzz, and even Ross. Holly and Ross’s re-coupling in 1999 while Blake was pregnant made Holly look so dumb. Her pairings with Billy and Buzz never made sense. She was far too smart and complex for either of them.

Definitely Y&R’s JT and Victoria—this was the start of screwing up those two generations of characters.

Y&R’s Ashley with anyone other than Victor, Brad, or Ridge/Rick when she was on B&B.

Y&R’s Chelsea with anyone—that character is so uninspired, tired, and played out. I hate that JG brought her back.

Y&R’s Kevin with anyone.

ATWT’s Barbara and Henry. Sorry Colleen.