Couplings that happened because writers didn’t know what else to do with the characters

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

2010 was actually the first time Guza wrote S&B as an actual bonafide couple, if you think about it. 1994-1995 was Labine.

During his first stint in 1996, Sonny was with Lily and Brenda was with Jax. S&B had longing moments, but they weren't together that year. I seem to remember Jax's first wife that also had a history with Mac (who he somehow knew from Australia) was suppose to be a Cassadine, but none of this was further explored after Guza left.

Guza was gone most of 1997 to do Sunset Beach. This was the year of S&B cave sex and subsequent reunion along with Tinman.

Guza came back in time to write Sonny leaving Brenda at the alter, and Brenda's subsequent breakdown. Guza also wrote Brenda's 1998 reunion with Jax up through her death.

Then when VM returned in 2002, Guza reunited her with Jax and the fake marriage to Jason. S&B didn't have much going on during this time aside from the amazing grace montage and the goodbye kiss on the docks when she was leaving.

And I feel like he only put them back together in 2010 because he wanted to do the Dante triangle/reveal that got axed. 

Edited by ghfan89

• Members

I'm pretty sure Guza only put S&B together because that was what VM wanted and it's part of how they got her to return.  I think Dante/Brenda/Sonny was the ultimate goal, so he put S&B together in the most half-assed way possible.  Even though Guza didn't write for them together very much previously, he still wrote a lot of important material for them in the 90's and should have done better in 2010, but that's a different topic.

I guess my point is outside Brenda/Jax/Sonny or Sonny vs. Jax, I never got the impression Guza was interested in Jax as a character or truly developed him past white knight/good guy status.  Guza may have preferred Jax/Brenda to Sonny/Brenda but I never got the vibe that he cared much about Jax besides that.  Jax has basically been relegated to the same role the last 25 years: get a girl that's connected to Sonny, make Sonny mad, girl leaves Jax for Sonny/Jason.  I guess this Nina thing is slightly different because she's not connected to Sonny, but she's still more in love with someone else. 

• Members

Stephen Hamill and Galen Henderson from All My Children. 

Couple: "We're engaged!"

Residents of Pine Valley: "Did you even have a scene together before?"

The writers coupled them and shipped them off because they had no more story for them.  They were also bland characters.

Edited by Jonathan

• Members

Nikki and AHHHHHTOROHHHHHH on Y&R.  Donna and Eric on B&B....they've never known what to do with Donna - throwaway character.  Again, pretty much everyone on B&B.  Quinn and Liam who she hated supposedly and then kidnaps and beds him.  Her son's brother.  LOL.  Thomas has been paired with anyone and everyone because he's a throwaway character.  Caroline, Zoe, Hope - probably missing someone.  Get rid of him and leave him gone.  Young Caroline and Ridge made no sense so that she could hold his hand and teach him to draw instead of him going to physical therapy.  B&B is really so bad.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

In 2004, Ned did try to charm Felicia when he figured out that Felicia had been appointed the judge in the competition over who would get Lila's inheritance. I believe she saw right through him and eliminated him from the contest lol. At the time some people thought it may have been a chem test but it went no further.

• Members

For some reason, I am kind of intrigued by Ned/Felicia.  I think it could have worked?  They both are fairly charismatic and have the ability to generate chemistry with most of their love interests.   I wouldn't be against it.  

But I literally can't think of anything in 2002 that indicated Ned/Felicia at all.  Ned was pushed back into the Alexis/Dobson/Kristina mess and Felicia was with Roy.   But I think a lot of things were pushed in 2002 when they secured VM and it was all Brenda/Jason/Jax/Sonny/Carly etc all the time.