Days: July 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think you're right. Bryan Dattilo doesn't fit the producers' romance-novel inspired vision of what a male romantic lead might look like. It's a shame, because he's aged very well and often generates a lot of chemistry with his female co-stars. When he had scenes with Nicole last week, she actually came alive, and there was some great banter between them. (Unlike with Greg Vaughan, who has the "soap hunk" look, but tends to suck the life out of his romantic scene partners). 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I agree 100%.  It's not that he's not attractive, but he's not as dreamy and hunky as EJ or Austin or Brandon or Rafe.  It worked well with Sami because she also didn't fit the female lead role the way Carrie or Marlena or Belle did until Days made Sami the main heroine.  He probably was effected the most long term by the show's EJ/Ejami obsession, but it could easily be righted now.  Lucas is charming, funny, has important relationships with the current cast, and never phones it in.    There isn't really anyone for him to pair up with in the current cast besides Nicole (and Sami), but he's not related to Sarah technically, so they could pair him with her.  Maybe it'll make her more likable.

• Members

The Ben/Marlena scene was great today. The only problem was it was about 2 years too late. 

The chemistry between Gabi and Jake is so strong, maybe even stronger than the chemistry between Gabi and Stefan 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Why is Ron Carlivati still employed as a soap head writer? I mean all the exec producers needed to be fired, not just Meng, but what evidence does Corday and NBC/Sony need that Carlivati has driven the show 6 feet under when the ratings dropped further even though it's the only soap airing original episodes and millions are home in front of tv....

I'm trying to figure out who's tied for worst head writer, Higley or Ron.

Edited by RavenWhitney

• Members

That was a great scene with Ben and Marlena, but what happened when she left didn’t make sense to me.

i don’t understand why Ben then had another Jordan vision. The Marlena visit should’ve wiped that from his head, so that didn’t work for me.

• Members

I actually liked that the short talk with Marlena didn't automatically erase all of Ben's fears and doubts from his head. He murdered several innocent people, so he really should be haunted by that. 

I just wish the show had spent more time in the past few months showing us this tortured part of Ben's psyche--his fears that he's not good enough for Ciara and that he might someday "snap" and hurt her. That would go a long way toward humanizing the character and giving him psychological depth beyond the "reformed bad boy" sex object.

• Members

Relationship goals: find a man who looks at you the way Will looks at Ben. (What do you mean, those two aren't the ones getting married this week?)

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by prefab1
Trouble uploading GIF

• Members

You're right. He does not fit the cliche soap hunk model (even though he's a good looking guy whose aged far better than most his contemporaries) and he is punished for it.

He also plays Lucas with a snarky edge (which is great) and makes the character memorable, but it takes a good writer to appreciate the unique elements an actor can bring to a part, and unfortunately for DAYS and Lucas/Bryan, few have understood how useful and fun Lucas is for the canvas.

• Members

It's like they included this part of the scene in order to tell everybody that Ben killing Will is pretty much forgotten, but it ended up being like a bad parody of Luke and Noah's first kiss on ATWT

If you ask me, that means that our Dr. Evans is not as good a shrink as people say she is lol