Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

She should absolutely be a matriarch and have lead story for this whole time. 

This was incredible.  I cannot imagine how exciting this was to watch when it aired originally.

I did not always enjoy JLB as Laura on DAYS.  But she is great as Lorie.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m annoyed Nathan’s exit story had him become the villain in the story. I can understand what lead to the affair after all the stress Olivia & Nathan went through, the hatred and disgust with the HIV scare was well warranted but kidnapping was out of character. Why didn’t Nathan just leave town for a couple years with maybe a couple pop up visits in between?

Funny when the show brought back Lazarre-White in 2000 at least Olivia met Nathan in heaven. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Great find, thank you! Love the "dirty stinker" scenes which are from New Year's Eve 12/30/81. Seems like in Sharon's early years, they were setting her up to be a schemer trying to steal the Newman fortune but eventually dropped that as they focused on the Cassie story.

• Members

I'm enjoying the friendships over the last couple of episodes (Nina/Christine, bachelorette party). I actually don't find LLB/Christine that insufferable here. Still miss Heather Tom. Losing some of these great actors really exposed Y&R's weak writing. For instance, even with some of the bad writing, I think Heather Tom, Tonya Lee Williams, Victoria Rowell, and Alex Donnnelly would've elevated the material (see: Sperm gate). The actors who have come in their place haven't been able too, with the exception of Michel Morgan when she played Hillary. 

Oh, and I loved seeing Sandra Nelson again. My favourite Phyllis.

Also, Joshua Morrow is a stud. Damn. He's aged very well

Edited by StepBack

• Members

True. I think Y&R cast so well for the longest time. Even if Conboy was focused on beautiful people, he still managed to find some great actors and ones that fit the roles well. This seemed to be the case through the Bell years and even through Alden's initial solo run. When the writing was weak you still had dynamic actors who knew their characters so well, you could follow them through anything. As much as I dislike late 94 to late 97 I can still watch those episodes because of the actors.

• Members

In the episode that won little Camryn Grimes an Emmy, little Cassie testified in court, and the judge awarded official foster care custody of Cassie to Nick and Sharon, with the possibility to legally adopt her in 6 months if all goes well. From July 19, 1999.

That was supposed to air July 26, 2020 in US (but many couldn't see it due to coronavirus press conference).

A new classic is July 27, 1999 

which airs on Mon July 6, 2020 US (Fri July 3 CDN).
The Newmans have a party to celebrate that Nick and Sharon were awarded custody of Cassie. This party epi originally aired several episodes after the other one.

So ...  I went into the archives of "rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs" to see if there were any comments about the Newman celebration party episode.

I found these comments ... So cool to read it now ...

From one poster:
7/28/99
Now that Cassie's two year front burner story is over, what will happen to Camryn Grimes? Scares me.

Reply from another poster:

7/29/99
Me too! Camryn Grimes is wonderful; IMHO the best thing about Y&R! You know the writers don't like anybody to be happy for TOO long, so maybe there will be a problem with the final adoption. I don't want to see Cassie unhappy, but it's better than not seeing her at all! Camryn Grimes should have won the Younger Actress Emmy!

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Gawd, Keith Hamilton Cobb was hot. Tall and built like a brick sh!thouse.

That yellow hair on Heather Tom. I can’t get over that. At least she was a more formidable Phyllis opponent than AH.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

A what?!?! I just looked it up, and I swear I've never heard that phrase before in my life 

Please register in order to view this content

I was watching here and there during this time period, and I thought KHC was hot, and I was in to the whole "just me and my horses meditating on the ranch" backstory, but then everything had to center on that damned orchid, then later, wasn't there a bunch of heavy/weird sht with gang members and a samurai sword!?

It's starting to come back to me - who was that hot little number who played the main thug that had killed Damon's son?

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Interesting seeing a Nikki/Dru interaction, even more comical that they didn't get along. Dru seemed different from before she left. 2000s Dru had a bougie streak, was more campy--but still awesome. I always thought Dru and Malcom's personalities were a better mix together (laid back and earthy) as with Neil and Olivia (square and conservative).

Paul and Chris might be boring together but this was no doubt one of the best weeks episode wise. Everything pre 2005, and alot of cool moments like Sharon's party and Christine's bachelorette party. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Built like a Brick Sh!thouse
Originally "built like a brick outhouse" this term meant any project that was appealingly overdone or a level of quality that was better than was necessary.
(from definition #3 at urbandictionary)

I didn't care for his Y&R character.

I liked KHC on the sci-fi series Andromeda. (The series was kind of bad but he did okay).

Edited by janea4old