• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Info released by the show:
Monday June 29 US (Friday June 26 CDN)

Original US airdate September 21, 1994.

Sharon Collins sets her sights on Nick.

I wonder if "Sharon sets her sights on Nick" relates to the party? 

Sharon's 18th birthday party (which was secretly her 19th birthday) ...

would have been celebrated on one of these three days (or maybe a combo of the days):
Friday 9/16/1994, Wed 9/21/1994, or Thurs 9/22/1994.
We know that on 9/15/1994, Sharon planned to have the party at the apartment she shares with her mother.
But on Mon 9/26/1994, Sharon is talking about the party with her mother, and it had already happened, and it was at the Newman ranch.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Another recap of the same episode. This one is much more detailed.

BACKSTORY:
As previously mentioned, Paul had been informally trying to mediate between Olivia and Nathan.  Olivia became more and more distraught.  She began to lean on Paul for help.
MORE INFO:
Around a month prior to the Christine/Paul wedding, Nathan took little Nate without permission from Olivia (kidnapped?). From this recap we learn that Nathan and Nate are hanging out in St. Louis.

A comment dated 8/8/96 on another thread referred to the Olivia/Nate phonecall in the 8/7/96 episode. When Olivia asked Nate where he was, he refused to tell her, so she looked at the caller ID and said "still in St. Louis"?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs/LZ9ew4k0j44/JC1tMryVYfIJ

In the following recap, the recapper was calling Christine "BUG" (which is fine, of course). 
But to make this recap feel "neutral", I changed it to Christine.
I removed the recapper's personal opinions.
There was some snark, which is fun, but I removed it for clarity.
You can read the original recap with all its snarky commentary here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs/0PHhuC6wPdc/CQIEdoY8DOgJ

Other the adjustments I noted, here is a quote of the original recap.
The recapper posted both "Cliff notes" and "extended details", as below.  The formatting and Act/Scene notations are just as the original recapper typed it.

rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs
(Posted 8/16/96)
Y&R: Update, Wed 8/7/1996, WEDDING DAY

CLIFF NOTES:
Christine and Paul married in a simple ceremony. Guests included Victor, Nikki, Nick, Sharon, Victoria, Ryan, Nina, Katherine, Neil, and Malcolm. Paul and Christine made long boring speeches of love to each other at the altar. The reception was interrupted by a phone call from a hysterical (as usual) Olivia, who had spoken to Nathan on the phone. She begged Paul to come and help her, and Paul agreed to delay the honeymoon until the SWN ("Situation With Nathan") was resolved.  Christine was proud of the extra shine on hubby's halo after this, and told Paul she wanted to go to Colorado to take care of something for Newman Enterprises.  Phyllis came over to Danny's unannounced with Little Daniel in tow; and she and Gina exchanged catty remarks.

EXTENDED DETAILS:

PROLOGUE:

Episode opens with tender piano music, and Christine in a long white négligée looking in the mirror wistfully.  Nina enters. She says that Christine is the most beautiful brides she's ever seen.  Christine's nervous. Nina assures her that this time the wedding is going to happen.  She will miss having Christine next door.  Cue sobs and sappy best friend talk. 

Gina arrives at Danny's apartment to hold Danny's hand because its Christine's wedding day.  Danny insists that he's fine.  He was invited, but in an uncharacteristically mature decision, stayed home.

Nick and Sharon are waiting for Nikki to finish grooming herself.  They reminisce about their wedding.

ROLL CREDITS

ACT I, SCENE I
Mary is looking at one of Paul's baby pictures.  He descends the stairs carrying his suitcase.  (He must have spent the night, its bad luck to see a Christine before the wedding. :-)  Sweet Mother/Son talk ensues. 

ACT I, SCENE II

Flashback to Christine asking Victor to give her away, while Victor puts on his tux.

ACT I, SCENE III
Malcolm comes over to visit Olivia.  He brought groceries, and his tux, he's going to change over here.  He tries to talk her into coming to the wedding, but she refuses.  Olivia says she just got off the phone with Dru, who is sick and decided to skip the wedding.  Neil arrives to pick up Malcolm.

COMMERCIAL

ACT II, SCENE I
Sharon begins to lecture Nick about marriage, it means staying together, working problems out, blah, blah, blah.  Nick closes down this line of conversation and sends Sharon to get dressed.

ACT II, SCENE II
Olivia is fixing Neil's tie, which makes her think of Nathan.  Cue "What if I never see my son again?" speech.  Malcolm and Neil reassure her.

ACT II, SCENE III
(St. Louis Arch appears on screen). In St. Louis, little Nate shows Nathan a picture he drew of Mommy.  He wishes he could see her.  Nathan says that he can see that Nate can see her in his mind.  (I'm sure that made sense to a four year old.)  Little Nate begs to go see Mommy, whining again.  (He is his mother's son.)

COMMERCIAL

ACT III, SCENE I

Victoria enters and says hi to Nick.  She's wearing a black gown with lace neckline.  Nick tells Victoria about the necklace he gave Sharon.  He leaves to go put on his tux.  Victoria says that Cole is out of town on business.  Nikki enters in a stunning blue suit.  Once again, Nikki's boobs are defying the laws of physics by not falling out of her top. Victoria leaves to hurry up Nick and Sharon.

ACT III, SCENE II
Christine is on the phone with someone named Bob from Newman Enterprises.  He's begging her to come in, some deal is about to fall through.  Christine refuses and hangs up on him.  Nina enters.  It's showtime. 

COMMERCIAL

ACT IV, SCENE I
Everyone is arriving at the chapel.  It is filled with lots and lots of flowers. Paul greets the Newmans.  Victor and Nikki share a private moment, Nikki can't resist a dig about it being hard for Victor to give Christine away.

ACT IV, SCENE II
Nathan calls Olivia.  Nathan wants to come home, but says Olivia will never again try to keep him away from his son.  Nathan says not to involve the family or police.  Conversation degenerates, and Nathan hangs up on Olivia. (Cue hysterical Olivia saying "Damn you, Nathan!" repeated about twenty times.)

ACT IV, SCENE III
Wedding begins with Nina in a simple white gown with low cut neckline.  She's followed by Christine and Victor.  Christine's gown is blue, with floral top and hoopskirt. (She really does look like something out of Gone With the Wind.  Think the famous curtain dress :-) 
For those who care, the minister does *not* go through the formality of asking "Who gives this woman...")

COMMERCIAL

ACT V, SCENE I
Minister begins ceremony.  Minister cues Paul to make his speech.  Paul talks about the road they've traveled, promises to love her through bad and good times, etc. etc.  He gets teary-eyed, so does Christine.  When Paul finishes, the minister turns to Christine and asks if she has anything to say.  Christine proceeds to go off for another five minutes about how the future holds both joy and sorrow, that they will love each other, and hopefully through their love make this world a better place.

ACT V, SCENE II
Phyllis knocks at Danny's door.  She brought little Daniel with her.  Gina and Phyllis exchange less than warm greetings.

ACT V, SCENE III
The minister pronounces Paul and Christine married.  He tells Paul he may kiss the bride. Kiss and applause.  Paul and Christine walk down the aisle in slow-motion.

COMMERCIAL

ACT VI, SCENE I
Christine and Paul cut the cake.  Ryan makes a toast and says they radiate love. Victor makes a toast, upstaging Ryan once again.  Paul and Christine dance to "You Are So Beautiful to Me." 

ACT VI, SCENE II
Danny takes the baby upstairs.  Gina lays into Phyllis and says this is the tackiest thing Phyllis has ever done.  Gina blames Phyllis for Danny and Christine's breakup, etc., etc., etc. Phyllis tells her to butt out.  Gina tells her to leave.  Phyllis ensconces herself on the couch.

ACT VI, SCENE III
Neil cuts in on Paul, for a dance with Christine.  A waiter tells Paul he has a call.  Paul goes to the phone.  It's Olivia, she apologizes for bothering him, but tells him about Nathan's call.  She says she doesn't trust herself to deal with him. She begs him to help her deal with the "Situation With Nathan". Paul agrees to come over.

COMMERCIAL

ACT VII, SCENE I
Danny comes down and asks where Gina is.  Phyllis tells him she left, and insists that she didn't provoke her.  Phyllis says she knows today is difficult for him.  She admits it's her fault that he and Christine broke up.  "Do you believe me when I say I'm sorry?" asks Phyllis.  "Do you believe me when I say I don't give a damn?,"  asks Danny.  Phyllis insists she brought the baby to cheer Danny up.  Danny lashes out at her it's all Phyllis' fault. Phyllis leaves in tears. 

ACT VII, SCENE II

The men are delivering an off-key chorus of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow."

Christine receives blessings from a loud elderly couple.*

Paul tells Christine, who agrees that he should help Olivia.  Christine says she'll go to Colorado to help with the Newman Enterprises problem.  They agree to just let the guests think they're going on their honeymoon, and make their excuses and exit.

THE END! 

*[From a spoiler for this epi, the loud elderly couple are Miles and Margaret Dugan, to whom Christine once gave legal advice regarding Rainbow Gardens housing. (played by Parley Baer & Maxine Stuart)]

[A comment from another thread: Nikki mentioned regarding Victor's giving Christine away: "I never realized she was his to give away."]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs/DO678AkKR9g/4aLgyJnsNMQJ

[A comment from another thread regarding the wedding reception:  When Nikki and Victor were at Christine and Paul's wedding dancing, Victor leaned in to kiss Nikki. She just pulled away and said I had better leave. Then she noticed the kids had gone and left them. Nikki wouldn't let him kiss her.]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs/phUAi55U32U/znp-0DAfzZkJ

[From another comment: At some point after the wedding, perhaps during the reception, Nikki and Victor discussed that time has passed as they reminisce, and then they state now that their children are grown and they shouldn't meddle in their lives anymore.]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs/otiL5XJm7Lc/5t5y9I1GHBAJ

[From a thread discussing the attire: Did you notice that ALL the men had on tuxedos? I thought that was a little much for a small wedding in a "country wedding chapel".] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs/_GAJasyHnBc/n3JYYec11QwJ
Not just the wedding party men wearing tuxes. All the male guests wore tuxes, too. That fits with the recap saying Malcolm was putting on his tuxedo. There is a photo of the wedding reception that shows Mitchell Sherman as one of the guests, wearing a tuxedo. Mary Williams is in the same photo, wearing a yellow floor-length gown or outfit.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

#6679 July 27, 1999

Billy apologizes to Kay and Jill for his behavior last night. Mac wants to earn her living and wants to look for a Summer job. Grace is miffed that Tony is invited to the party at Newman ranch but she is not. Tony then receives a letter from the DA's office: he's charged with conspiracy and grand theft auto! Megan does not want her father to find out about Tony just yet. Keith continues to interfere with Ryan and Tricia. The entire Newman family along with Paul and Chris and Lisa gather at the ranch for a pool party to celebrate the court win. Also present are Doris and Millie who announces that she is going to leave for Madison again. In the midst of the celebration Cassie calls Nick "dad" for the first time.

• Members

The Alden/Scott feud is still so weird to me. We've all heard the story about the replacement Sean Bridges for the May/December romance with Jill, and I always felt Alex Donnelly's exit as Diane was related to it as well. 

I wonder what the problem actually was - they'd worked on the show for decades together. Given they both stayed on the show for years afterward it also makes me question how serious it was and what the fallout was behind the scenes with Sony - was their feud what got Sony more involved in the show? 

• Members

Or maybe once Bill Bell was pretty much out of the picture, the jockeying for leadership began. Maybe one party felt they were more responsible for the ongoing success than the other etc.Perhaps someone at Sony kept things in check for a time.

Considering that according to Jeanne Cooper's book Ed Scott was supportive of Melody's freeze out of her, maybe Scott was a little more responsible for the way things spilled...just speculation

• Members

Donnelly’s exit was indeed to tied to this feud, and MTS of course had some extremely intense contract negotiations in ‘01 that wasn’t resolved until the 11th hour that then show wrote Nikki out in Aug ‘01...to which Scott announced his resignation by year’s afterward.

Given what we know about Scott now it makes seniors someone close was the provocateur in all this.