Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh I absolutely think these are reasonable measures to require pre-testing and immediate repatriation is there is a positive test, I think that many tourists might decide that they don't want to go through these protocols and stay away, which I think is fine too...I mean, who vacations during a pandemic anyway??!  I've been saying this for years but as a person of island heritage, I think it is way overdue for these economies to diversify and lessen their reliance on tourism for the economy.  I know that some islands have been doing this over the last several years but it's time to kick those efforts into overdrive.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Never before have I been more vigilant about seeing my food prepared when I buy take out. A prime example of why happened today. My folks decided to take a drive, pick up some sandwiches and go to the Lake Erie shore to eat and watch the waves while in the car. Unfortunately, the Subway they stopped at in Ashtabula, OH, had NO workers wearing masks. My dad apparently gave them a piece of his mind before they went to another Subway where the workers did have masks on. How stupid and ignorant can these restaurants be???

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

What I mean is I'm always wary of "your country is worse than my country" or posturing types of word games.  When it goes too far without any clear plans you end up with something like Trudeau's tweet (even if it was well-meaning on his part) after Trump won leading to floods of people at the border and Canada having to deal with the influx of immigration and refugees they hadn't expected.  

• Members

I only have seen concern about the current state of the United States in the midst of this pandemic based on compassion and the fact that the US numbers are shockingly horrible. 

I hope everyone stays healthy and safe. Listen to the science, not the politics.  

• Members

I'm not sure where DaytimeFan is from, but I echo what they said. I can only speak for Australia, but I only see compassion and worry for the US and the people there. There is ire perhaps for some of the politicians but only genuine concern for the citizens and for how horrid the numbers are.

• Members

Melbourne is where I lived for 12 years before I moved over to Europe a couple of years ago, and it is extremely heartbreaking to see what is happening down there. Most other cities in Oz have got their infection rates under control (and Melbourne was the same until this recent outbreak). So I really hope they clamp down on this and get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

On a related note, England reopened its pubs, cafes, restaurants and hairdressers today, despite the fact that the UK as a whole still has a rolling average daily death rate of 100, and new case rate of 600. As perspective, the UK locked down in March with a death rate of 50.

You can see why I might be a little apprehensive...