Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Trump is also trying to bully school districts into re-opening in the fall (something he has no power to dictate) by threatening to withhold funding to states whose school districts don't reopen due to COVID-19 concerncs.  This seems familiar, as he tried (and failed) to use a similar tactic against so-called sanctuary cities.

The truth that no one seems to want to face up to is that most schools (not even just public schools) would need a total re-working of layout and engineering systems. Most experts in virology, infectious diseases and the like, have said that public spaces need high-grade air filtration systems, room for social distancing, sanitizing stations and contact-less facilities in order to make these spaces less likely to become incubators of the virus. 

• Members

That's one of the few things which might shake up more of his support in deep red states like WV or KY, as they've had lots of strikes over education issues and pay in recent years. He'll still win those states, but it might help downballot candidates. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It doesn't surprise me that things like this continue to be uncovered. It's what I suspected from the very beginning--everything this wretched administration sets its hands to turns into a heaping pile of sh*t and dysfunction. And corruption, don't forget about the corruption.

• Members

Yes.  There are some people in hard core denial. People just don't want to believe that the droplets can stay in the air a long time. I really don't want to believe it either, but it's obviously a big risk to be indoors with groups of people.  Even people who are trying to do the right thing just don't want to accept that social distance is not enough in gyms and restaurants and similar places.

School is bound to be a disaster in many places. Kids are germ factories on top of all the other reasons it's a bad idea. When cold and flu season starts it's going to be one big nightmare. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be doing e-learning for my son by October. It's inevitable.  I feel so badly for people who's livelihood depends on having dependable childcare. What a mess!

• Members

TBH, most schools are long overdue for these types of structural/architectural changes, even before the emergence of COVID-19.

For years, there have been news items of schools with recurring mold problems, cloudy water problems, fumes so strong that schools had to be evacuated.  I once even read about a school that had an issue with Legionnaire's!  

Contrast that to these LEED green buildings that are built with natural air purification systems, etc.  This should be the rule, not the exception. Why should this be only reserved for luxe residences and experimental buildings?