Days: December 2019 Discussion Thread 🎄

• Members

LOL Agreeing on Evan and Sonny is a start.

You are so right about FS playing the same with every scene partner. It’s not only dry and boring, it isn’t real. I don’t feel that real people act that way or talk that way. To show so little emotion or interest or excitement when a guy like Evan is clearly interested in you? I don’t care if he’s married — it’s just not human.

it isn’t just about looks, because I don’t know what Evan is supposed to see in Sonny. No idea. These are young guys who should care about having some FUN. Instead, they’re like two senior citizens discussing where they can get 10% off on a pancake breakfast at Denny’s.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The 8-month production cycle is a fact that isn’t going to change. Does anyone else here think that a PC-like 13-week novella-type format could potentially work for DAYS? Could it really be worse than this? It might provide for tighter and more cohesive storylines. It would be tougher as an hour show. They took a risk with TJ but they should’ve been bolder in retrospect. 

• Members

You are correct that Josh Taylor's Roman made his entrance swathed in bandages but that was merely a red herring (and possibly a homage to how Drake Hogestyn made his entrance). Since Roman had been presumed dead a few months earlier, John immediately suspected that Roman was a fraud but Mike Horton checked him over and said Roman's injuries were consistent with war, not plastic surgery.

In any case, the show quickly made it clear that Josh Taylor's Roman was supposed to look exactly the same as Wayne Northrop's Roman by using CGI - the relatively new "Forrest Gump effect" - to put Josh Taylor in place of Wayne Northrop in a few flashbacks of Roman and Marlena from the Salem Strangler era.

And obviously we are meant to totally disregard that Roman looks like Chris.

Edited by Dion

• Members

I've never watched Days - but saw a commercial that someone is Stefano?  Is it his son?  The guy that played Stefano was older, and I knew him as who he was on B&B.  In the commercial I recognized the guy they said was Stefano as another Days character but he's much younger.  How is this explained?

• Members

Well it technically began around May of 1998 (right after Eileen Davidson and her many characters left and there was a definite void on the canvas) when Hope when to New Orleans. By that summer she met Lili Faversham and what’s when we first heard the phrase “Princess Gina.”  Stefano and Rolf we’re toying around with transforming Hope for months before they finally fired up the satellite (yes, during a blizzard. Great timing) in Feb 99. 

• Members

I know. This one has *always* bothered me and I'm willing to put up with some [!@#$%^&*] from this show, lol. I mean it wasn't like Josh Taylor had a 13 week run on DAYS in the 80s ... lol.

But then with two of the best Carly's traipsing through Port Charles as new character while Preppy Valley Girl Carly runs around ... 

It's just became a bad trend. I get folks like these actors but it just doesn't work. 

And as much as we want to forget it, let's also not forget the horrible Alex North [!@#$%^&*] with them wasting Wayne Northrop.

I mean, if you erase the Brady connections, Josh is still playing Chris. That's why he works so much better behind the bar of the Brady Pub dishing out advice. Josh also (not surprisingly, of course) does somewhat better with the snarky humor. I've also only really liked him as Roman with Kate/Lauren Koslow. I think he's lucky I guess that he's besties with Corday lol

Edited by KMan101

• Members

DH, KA, and SN are all horrible at being brainwashed or playing doppelgangers. Don't use a fake accent if you're going to dip in and out of it every other word. DH as Hattie is the worst, because Hattie was supposed to be ugly as [!@#$%^&*] and DH just plays as herself with a surly tone. Didn't Andrea Hall wear a prosthetic nose in addition to sounding nothing like Marlena?

Edited by koos

• Members

Sonny and Evan are practically twins. Fire Freddie Smith and recast Brock as the new and improved Sonny.

Guard yells to Dr. Marlena...no touching yet Ben and Cierra are holding hands the entire episode. Just terrible writing and pimping of Ben. 

Lauren Koslow and MBE sure age well. They are two beautiful ladies.

Chandler Massey looking hot once again.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

lol! If I were to try and "give Freddie credit" which is hard because he's checked out, you could say he's playing it like Sonny is depressed. Which makes sense. His mom is dead and he thinks his husband killed her. But we're not really getting that angst (we get very little depth from characters, emotional beats that are what drives characters and one reason why folks love soaps isn't played).

Things just happen and folks react (a problem on all the soaps)

Instead, because of whatever plot Ron has in mind, we have to spend tedious scenes of Evan and Sonny "getting to know each other". When this all should have been played differently. I imagine there's more to Evan than meets the eye though, or at least I sure hope so ...

I'd much rather have seen immediate fallout when the timejump picked up. The show totally dropped the ball (as did Ron and those who like to interfere in his work, which they do). I'd also much rather have seen everything "we missed" play out on-screen. They just don't get how a soap opera works.

We want to SEE what happens, not hear about it (and yes, I know they're doing "flashbacks" but it's not nearly the same thing)

EDIT:

Imagine picking up after the Time Jump where we drop in on the aftermath of everything? Kayla could be served divorce papers as she and Justin shock us by kissing ... Sonny should be watching Will be arrested for his mother's death ... Ciara should have been genuinely wanting to connect with Victor instead of using the job to clear Ben. Maybe she DID doubt him and then overhears something and says "hmm, I was wrong to doubt him, and I knew it ..." but that only happens when those involved care about the characters and their motivations and giving them moments to shine and give them depth. We just don't get that anymore. But yet Ben can have monologue after monologue ... 

They literally should have dropped us in on [!@#$%^&*] hitting the fan and going from there. Instead we're wasting time setting up stuff for stuff we never saw play out ... WE DON'T HAVE THIS TIME TO WASTE!

Edited by KMan101