Jump to content

Days: December 2019 Discussion Thread 🎄


Recommended Posts

On 12/22/2019 at 3:39 PM, Soapsuds said:

@ranger1rg  We finally agree on something. Evan is being wasted on Sonny. 

 

Sonny needs an older boring man like him. FS is such a boring actor. His acting is the same with every scene partner. 

 

Chandler Massey is looking very hot. Too bad Will has no guy chasing after him. 

 

 

And Evan's place... wow...were they having their scene in Evan's closet?


LOL Agreeing on Evan and Sonny is a start.

 

You are so right about FS playing the same with every scene partner. It’s not only dry and boring, it isn’t real. I don’t feel that real people act that way or talk that way. To show so little emotion or interest or excitement when a guy like Evan is clearly interested in you? I don’t care if he’s married — it’s just not human.

 

it isn’t just about looks, because I don’t know what Evan is supposed to see in Sonny. No idea. These are young guys who should care about having some FUN. Instead, they’re like two senior citizens discussing where they can get 10% off on a pancake breakfast at Denny’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 8-month production cycle is a fact that isn’t going to change. Does anyone else here think that a PC-like 13-week novella-type format could potentially work for DAYS? Could it really be worse than this? It might provide for tighter and more cohesive storylines. It would be tougher as an hour show. They took a risk with TJ but they should’ve been bolder in retrospect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Khan said:

Speaking of Chris, I mean, Roman, did the show ever explain how Roman ended up looking like Chris?   Because, for some reason, I recall Josh Taylor coming back (as Roman) swathed in bandages, like when Drake Hogestyn first appeared, suggesting Roman had had some sort of cosmetic surgery.  But maybe I'm remembering something else?

 

You are correct that Josh Taylor's Roman made his entrance swathed in bandages but that was merely a red herring (and possibly a homage to how Drake Hogestyn made his entrance). Since Roman had been presumed dead a few months earlier, John immediately suspected that Roman was a fraud but Mike Horton checked him over and said Roman's injuries were consistent with war, not plastic surgery.

 

In any case, the show quickly made it clear that Josh Taylor's Roman was supposed to look exactly the same as Wayne Northrop's Roman by using CGI - the relatively new "Forrest Gump effect" - to put Josh Taylor in place of Wayne Northrop in a few flashbacks of Roman and Marlena from the Salem Strangler era.

 

And obviously we are meant to totally disregard that Roman looks like Chris.

Edited by Dion
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dion said:

 

You are correct that Josh Taylor's Roman made his entrance swathed in bandages but that was merely a red herring (and possibly a homage to how Drake Hogestyn made his entrance). Since Roman had been presumed dead a few months earlier, John immediately suspected that Roman was a fraud but Mike Horton checked him over and said Roman's injuries were consistent with war, not plastic surgery.

 

In any case, the show quickly made it clear that Josh Taylor's Roman was supposed to look exactly the same as Wayne Northrop's Roman by using CGI - the relatively new "Forrest Gump effect" - to put Josh Taylor in place of Wayne Northrop in a few flashbacks of Roman and Marlena from the Salem Strangler era.

 

And obviously we are meant to totally disregard that Roman looks like Chris.

 

I can't with you, DAYS.  I just can't.  LOL.

 

Thanks, @Dion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never watched Days - but saw a commercial that someone is Stefano?  Is it his son?  The guy that played Stefano was older, and I knew him as who he was on B&B.  In the commercial I recognized the guy they said was Stefano as another Days character but he's much younger.  How is this explained?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Fevuh said:

I've never watched Days - but saw a commercial that someone is Stefano?  Is it his son?  The guy that played Stefano was older, and I knew him as who he was on B&B.  In the commercial I recognized the guy they said was Stefano as another Days character but he's much younger.  How is this explained?

 

Steve Johnson is being mind controlled in some fashion to think he is Stefano,  same goes for Hope (she thinks she is Princess Gina).  It is all very stupid...

Edited by jcar03
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, juppiter said:

Dang, the Princess Gina storyline only lasted from February 1999 to March 2000? It seemed to drone on and on for years.


Well it technically began around May of 1998 (right after Eileen Davidson and her many characters left and there was a definite void on the canvas) when Hope when to New Orleans. By that summer she met Lili Faversham and what’s when we first heard the phrase “Princess Gina.”  Stefano and Rolf we’re toying around with transforming Hope for months before they finally fired up the satellite (yes, during a blizzard. Great timing) in Feb 99. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Khan said:

 

I can't with you, DAYS.  I just can't.  LOL.

 

Thanks, @Dion.

 

I know. This one has *always* bothered me and I'm willing to put up with some [!@#$%^&*] from this show, lol. I mean it wasn't like Josh Taylor had a 13 week run on DAYS in the 80s ... lol.

 

But then with two of the best Carly's traipsing through Port Charles as new character while Preppy Valley Girl Carly runs around ... 

 

It's just became a bad trend. I get folks like these actors but it just doesn't work. 

 

And as much as we want to forget it, let's also not forget the horrible Alex North [!@#$%^&*] with them wasting Wayne Northrop.

 

I mean, if you erase the Brady connections, Josh is still playing Chris. That's why he works so much better behind the bar of the Brady Pub dishing out advice. Josh also (not surprisingly, of course) does somewhat better with the snarky humor. I've also only really liked him as Roman with Kate/Lauren Koslow. I think he's lucky I guess that he's besties with Corday lol

Edited by KMan101
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a dry Christmas episode. Will and Marlena propping up Ben. Hattie is played out. And DH isn't very good playing her. Love Kate busting a thirsty Sonny bear's chops. SantaSteve/Steffi was awful. They hardly had any staff or  kids at the hospital. Loved Ari side eyeing Evan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

DH, KA, and SN are all horrible at being brainwashed or playing doppelgangers. Don't use a fake accent if you're going to dip in and out of it every other word. DH as Hattie is the worst, because Hattie was supposed to be ugly as [!@#$%^&*] and DH just plays as herself with a surly tone. Didn't Andrea Hall wear a prosthetic nose in addition to sounding nothing like Marlena?

Edited by koos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sonny and Evan are practically twins. Fire Freddie Smith and recast Brock as the new and improved Sonny.

 

Guard yells to Dr. Marlena...no touching yet Ben and Cierra are holding hands the entire episode. Just terrible writing and pimping of Ben. 

 

Lauren Koslow and MBE sure age well. They are two beautiful ladies.

 

Chandler Massey looking hot once again.

Edited by Soapsuds
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soapsuds said:

Sonny and Evan are practically twins. Fire Freddie Smith and recast Brock as the new and improved Sonny.

 

OR...have Sonny suffer a fatal gunshot wound, then have Dr. Rolf implant his memories into Evan's brain.

 

Oh, I forgot, this isn't GH.  Nevermind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 2:47 AM, ranger1rg said:


LOL Agreeing on Evan and Sonny is a start.

 

You are so right about FS playing the same with every scene partner. It’s not only dry and boring, it isn’t real. I don’t feel that real people act that way or talk that way. To show so little emotion or interest or excitement when a guy like Evan is clearly interested in you? I don’t care if he’s married — it’s just not human.

 

it isn’t just about looks, because I don’t know what Evan is supposed to see in Sonny. No idea. These are young guys who should care about having some FUN. Instead, they’re like two senior citizens discussing where they can get 10% off on a pancake breakfast at Denny’s.

 

lol! If I were to try and "give Freddie credit" which is hard because he's checked out, you could say he's playing it like Sonny is depressed. Which makes sense. His mom is dead and he thinks his husband killed her. But we're not really getting that angst (we get very little depth from characters, emotional beats that are what drives characters and one reason why folks love soaps isn't played).

 

Things just happen and folks react (a problem on all the soaps)

 

Instead, because of whatever plot Ron has in mind, we have to spend tedious scenes of Evan and Sonny "getting to know each other". When this all should have been played differently. I imagine there's more to Evan than meets the eye though, or at least I sure hope so ...

 

I'd much rather have seen immediate fallout when the timejump picked up. The show totally dropped the ball (as did Ron and those who like to interfere in his work, which they do). I'd also much rather have seen everything "we missed" play out on-screen. They just don't get how a soap opera works.

 

We want to SEE what happens, not hear about it (and yes, I know they're doing "flashbacks" but it's not nearly the same thing)

 

EDIT:

Imagine picking up after the Time Jump where we drop in on the aftermath of everything? Kayla could be served divorce papers as she and Justin shock us by kissing ... Sonny should be watching Will be arrested for his mother's death ... Ciara should have been genuinely wanting to connect with Victor instead of using the job to clear Ben. Maybe she DID doubt him and then overhears something and says "hmm, I was wrong to doubt him, and I knew it ..." but that only happens when those involved care about the characters and their motivations and giving them moments to shine and give them depth. We just don't get that anymore. But yet Ben can have monologue after monologue ... 

 

They literally should have dropped us in on [!@#$%^&*] hitting the fan and going from there. Instead we're wasting time setting up stuff for stuff we never saw play out ... WE DON'T HAVE THIS TIME TO WASTE!

Edited by KMan101
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy