Y&R November 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Why do viewers care about Amanda's past? We've got to care about her to care about her past. Amanda and Nate have the same problem for me that Rey/Mia/Arturo had. New characters with no ties (Nate does but...) in story together. I wish they'd bring on Olivia for an arc to help build Nate. 

I agree that I don't need all 4 POC in story together. But i think you missed my point. Devon and Nate are related. They should be interacting on some level. Instead the show keeps them apart in favor of playing Elena and Nate. That's sorta odd to me. 

There is no conflict because neither character is built up enough for it. They are trying to use Elena which doesn't make any sense at all unless she wants Nate herself but that isn't being played. Like I said, I like the chemistry and the look onscreen but there needs to be more than that for investment. 

• Members

If her backstory is interesting enough it will be fine. A lot of people already care about Amanda. A lot of people already love MM and are enjoying this character. I'm seeing several people enjoying Amanda and her and Nate even without her backstory being fully explored yet. They will give her some sort of backstory and maybe a connection to someone on canvas. It might take some time, but I think they will get there. They finally started giving Theo a backstory after him floating around for months. I think that people care more about Amanda than they do Theo. (Though I like Theo). 

And it's not like Devon and Nate don't ever interact. They do, it just hasn't been a lot lately. Because Devon is preoccupied with the will storyline. And Nate and Elena haven't really interacted a ton either, lately. They interact more than him and Devon have lately, but she's not doing a whole lot except being a sounding board for Devon and interacting with Nate on a friendship/colleague level. She's expressed distrust of Amanda, but her and Nate haven't been sharing a bunch of scenes. Her relationship with Nate has not replaced Devon's relationship with Nate.I don't think that Devon/Nate are being ignored in favor of Nate/Elena. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I've seen a few people on Twitter say that they just wanted MiM back, they didn't care who she was playing.  Sounds like they care about the actor, not so much the character.

And are folks really trusting that JG is going to craft a compelling backstory about these characters??  That's a whole lot of unearned faith! 

If Nate and Devon don't interact much, that's a real shame. The Barber/Winters connection truly is dead.

• Members

I'm one of them who just wanted Mishael back. However, I understand that most viewers aren't me and may not feel that way. Which is why I'm critiquing the character and looking at things from the eyes of someone who may not be a super fan. I want this to work and her to have the best chance to succeed.  

Regardless of what's being said, Devon and Nate are not close and the show hasn't tried to even create a closeness. I had hopes that the show would use Neil and Malcolm as a model, sans the woman sharing, for their relationship. But so far, very little effort has been put into it. 

On every survey that the show had requested feedback, I've asked for Nate and Devon as  younger generation bearers of the Barber/Winters family. It seems the show heard me but have no idea how to go about it. 

Do you really expect JG to deliver interesting? After watching the last year, you expect writing to buoy Amanda? 

I didn't say that Elena took Devon's place. She can't take something that never existed. The show never tried to create a relationship with Devon and Nate. Nate was brought on to be Mishael's character's leading man. After Hilary's death and even a recast, we are exactly where the show wanted Nate Hastings. They don't care about Devon and Nate's relationship. 

• Members

In spite of some of the stories that Josh has written I think that Amanda's backstory might end up being okay. It's looks like she's running from someone/something. She seemed tense when she saw a man at the hotel that she recognized. Cane also picked up on her being tense when the hostage situation was going on. There is a story there and I am willing to wait and see how it develops. And in the meantime I am enjoying Nate/Amanda and their interaction/chemistry together. They are a breath of fresh air and a bright spot on this show. They are just getting started in their relationship and I am interested in seeing where things go with them.

Also, the show has shown in the past an interest in Devon/Nate's relationship. They had close moments and have acted like family. This happened with Brooks Darnell's Nate and also with Sean's version. Devon tried to help Nate out when he got in trouble for smuggling Nikki out of the hospital, Nate tried to help him after Hilary's accident, he was looking out for him when Amanda first came to town. Just recently Nate got upset on Devon's behalf about the will and talked with Cane about that. They aren't Neil and Malcolm  but they don't act like strangers. They have acted like they care about each other and have had their close moments. They just aren't interacting much right now, and I think one big reason for that is because they have different things going on.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Yes, I recall Nate and cane having words all the while Nate and Devon not talking about it themselves. Lol

If this is working for you, good. But you don't have to try to convince me that everything is just fine. JG is half assing this. Much like he's half assing Phyllis and MS's return. She seems like such a pointless character but that's another conversation. Me pointing it out is certainly not because I don't like Devon, Elena, Amanda, or Nate. 

• Members

It would be nice to see Nate at the hospital but budget doesn't seem to be up for that. SD is sexy and a good actor but like other posters are saying, everything seems half baked . Like there is no developing long term story in place.

Olivia really needs to show up and maybe have a mini story that her son can support her through.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

As I said, seeing MiM was enough to get me to start checking it out again. Frankly, I still like the idea that she's playing someone new - a complete blank canvas with no baggage or retcons needed. We know MiM has great rapport with CG, PB, Bryton and plenty of others - so forming new relationships and stories only benefits MiM acting choices and storyline options.  

I'm sure CG, despite all attempts to Cassify her, was happy to not to be stuck as St. Cassie. Mariah allowed her to play stories that the audience would've most likely rejected if she was Cassie.