Y&R November 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really enjoyed Nate and Amanda again today. They were flirting and seem interested in each other romantically, though they are both saying they are just fine with being friends. I like how they both brighten up with each other and also when Amanda said that she was thinking about staying in GC because it has a certain elegance and charm. She was looking at Nate when she said that and I think that she was referring largely to him. And it's cute how Nate is attracted to her and how he hugged her at the end of today's show. He acting like a man that is definitely interested in a woman. I am looking forward to seeing them interact together more. 

Also it looks like the show may put Phyllis/Nick back together again. They've already started up playing video games again, and we know what usually happens when they do that. And the way that Phyllis was getting excited when they were playing those games, makes me think that could be foreshadowing for a possible reunion with those two. I could see the show putting them back together since it looks like Adam/Chelsea may reunite and the show hasn't really had much direction with the character of Phyllis since she's came back.  And they haven't really seem interested up until this point of really giving her a love interest since she's returned. So maybe they will just put her back with Nick.

And I was nice to see Jill back again on today's show. Granted she was a bit caught up with Colin, and his return (Including kissing him). But I could see her separating herself from him again once the full the truth about the will comes out. Including whatever role Cane may have in it.

Edited by xtr

• Members

She was just added, this is actually the first day she's been added to this version of the credits. I'm glad to see her there.

Also, I am enjoying this anniversary show too. I enjoyed many of the flashbacks, especially the ones with John, Jill and Nikki. Nikki was so pretty (and still looks good) and I liked seeing those clips of her and Jack. I loved watching him propose to her. And I thought that the scenes of them talking about their son dying and his heart being donated to another baby was poignant.

I do think that the show may have went a bit heavy on the Jack/Phyllis scenes. I do think they have good chemistry and he's her best pairing. But I don't think they needed to show four different sets of flashbacks for them. Especially given that they aren't currently together and I don't believe will be together any time soon. I would have rather have seen some of that time go to move scenes of Jack with members of his family. He's close to Abby and they didn't get a flashback together. They could have maybe done more with him/Billy/ and Kyle too. And a scene featuring Mamie would have been nice. But overall I enjoyed the flashbacks and the show. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I foolishly flipped to DOOL and missed the end of the episode, did they do a title card celebrating his anniversary?

I agree, PB did lovely work in the scene about the baby's heart being donated, I wonder if that was an Emmy year for him.

That scene where Jack hurls the chair out of the window always gets me, could have spawned a whole storyline about second degree murder. *SPLAT!*

• Members

That Jack episode was absolutely beautiful (the scene with John & Dina were heart wrenching). Also, the lighting, I miss it, and also the seriousness of the show (business, family, death)

How can Griffith put this together and not understand what made the show so wonderful?

I've always enjoyed Peter Bergman as Jack, and this was a lovely episode. As much as I enjoy Dina and Marla, I don't mind that they gave her Alzhemiers because Marla did fascinating work and I do think it is a tragic swan song for such a large character.

Edit: Early Phyllis/Jack is actually really good. Man, all of those flashback scenes were grounded in mostly reality. No doppelgängers, no silly plots, just character driven drama. Come back Y&R.....

Edited by StepBack

• Members

Watching  those flashback scenes really reminded me of how much I miss when soaps utilized close-up shots, and when the show moved the camera artfully. Today it appears everything on daytime is just shot at a wide angle, and the camera barely moves. It was really nice to hear the old school music scores again. The episode was well done. It would have been interesting to have seen some scenes regarding Luan, Keemo, and the drama around Diane Jenkins and Kyle's birth. Overall though any chance to see old y&r on screen makes it an enjoyable episode.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

My understanding is head-writers seldom have much to do with these tribute episodes.  They usually turn them over to an underling who expresses some interest in the project.  Head-writers do not like to be reminded how good their show "used to be."  They prefer concentrating on their own stuff.  Griffith probably didn't even watch the episode.  

• Members

That scene was from 1993, so PB might have used it in his 1994 Emmy reel.

The 1990 scene that was shown on the 1991 Daytime Emmy broadcast was a Jack/Victor confrontation that got PB his first win and the 1991 scene where shown on the 1992 Daytime Emmy broadcast was Jack confronting Nikki about her drinking that got PB his second win.

Edited by kalbir