Y&R November 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree with your take on all of these characters and their stories — or lack of them.

Josh Griffith has the ability to make us like a character, but then does nothing with him or her, or certainly not enough. MiM’s return pumped me up because I love her, but I’m not happy with what’s been done with Amanda so far. If there’s a plan, it’s taking way too long to get to it.

Nate and Amanda have good chemistry, but even on today’s show, we should’ve seen those scenes with Nate going before the medical board. Why write him in trouble if we don’t SEE the fallout? Hearing the characters practice their speeches and then report how great Victor was at the hearing? Ugh. And then Nate gets a phone call about reinstatement? Ugh again.

Devon and Elena are going nowhere. The will? Devon would have a dozen lawyers working on it — not watching Chance make a stupid trip to the Maldives.

Billy and Kyle are going nowhere, just in circles. Theo’s story got exciting for a minute when he was declared an Abbott relation. Now what? Boring talks with Summer and Lola while bad boy Theo seems to be gone.

Nick was all guns-ho for a run for council — — and then he drops out? Huh?? Did JG switch course after only a week’s worth of episodes and drop that story? Abby again is googoo eyed over ANOTHER guy. No story there. Phyllis has no story. 

For a whole it looked like CLB would again be prominent. He’s disappeared. Lauren is nowhere in sight. Kevin and Chloe seemed important for a minute. Over.

i love Mark Grossman as Adam, but he’s still not in a relationship of any kind? Huh? This is a SOAP, for God’s sake. Sharon is with Rey, but it doesn’t feel like she’s really in love.

Josh Griffith DESPERATELY needs a co-writer. I still watch every day, but I definitely understand why viewers are dropping out.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No,that's not being played and it's to the detriment of these characters. Moreso, Nate than Devon since Devon is established already. That was my earlier complaint....maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. 

They seem to find money for the hospital when they want to put victor or Lola in the bed. Lol

If the show us going to have full time characters as doctors, they need to have consistent medical drama to accompany that. Much like they manage to have constant crime when they have someone they care about working in the police station. 

• Members

+1

The whole show is a big nothing burger. 

Not showing Nate's hearing was the biggest indication to me that the whole things being half done. I would say budget reasons but they hired a named actor for this Chelsea story.  So my guts says they just didn't want to spend the money on those particular characters. 

Speaking of Lauren and Michael, can someone please explain to me why they aren't allowed to have story? 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

I feel sorry for Mishael Morgan. Yes she has nice chemistry with Nate, but the character just isn't working for me.

Speaking of Nate, I wish they'd bring back Olivia. Although, it appears TLW does not want to return the show (this is my own speculation).

• Members

lol. So spot on. This show is a hot mess. No direction at all. 

They brought her back simply to bring her back. That's great and all but ....

Nate is a massive missed opportunity. You have a nice actor in the role who is sexy. USE HIM BETTER.

I'm also guessing TLW has no interest in returning, if she's even been asked (and I doubt she has). Shame. Olivia would help IMMENSELY. But when I have stans on Twitter tell me Dru isn't relevant or needed anymore, do fans even care if Olivia comes back? I know *this* fan does.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Next week the show is supposed to re-air some episodes. Kristoff St. John's tribute episode will re-air on Thanksgiving, November 24. Melody Thomas's Scott anniversary episode where she was reflecting on her life in prison with flashbacks will air on Friday the 25th. Though, I'm not sure if things will change regarding whether those episodes will be aired because of the preemptions due to the impeachment hearings. 

https://www.soapoperanews.net/2019/11/the-young-and-restless-scheduled-to-air.html

• Members

Excellent points!  Especially about Amanda!  When her arrival didn't register more than a shrug from Devon, I knew this show had already dropped the ball with her.

Some of the deficiencies, I'll chalk up to basic incompetence on Josh Griffith's part.  For instance, he clearly didn't take into account that making Theo a Brooks had to pay off beyond just tying him to one of Y&R's original (and these days, non-existent) clans.  As it is, though, it really doesn't matter that he's Stuart Brooks' grandson.  He's still just as expendable.

However, other problems -- like Nick's aborted run for office and Michael and Lauren's sudden disappearance after promising story starts -- I suspect are/were victims of interference.

I realize he was a MAGAt before he joined the show, but I still wonder if the tweet in question -- the one that launched Eric Braeden's shade-fest -- was orchestrated to get himself canned from the show.  Like, maybe he's already sick of being on a soap opera and figured making things political (and personal) on social media was the way to change things.

Otherwise, who would be so stupid as to turn Y&R's preemptions into a political statement and drag its' signature actor into it in the process?

Edited by Khan

• Members

The show has been relatively aimless since before Sally Sussman started. Everything feels “by committee” and the interference and timid “shift with the wind” BTS decision-making are absolutely palpable. The future of Y&R hangs in the balance, and chaos and fear is obviously driving the creative. 

I tried with Amanda, and I can’t believe that a character whose doppelgänger’s life was celebrated with an elaborate funeral and a week of goodbye episodes is treated with such an anticlimactic introduction. I suppose I can believe it—people here called it. Her entrance really should have shaken Genoa City to its core, as Adam’s did (at least for a while). Why bother if this was all they were going to do? It’s very cynical.

• Members

I'm with @Vee: just change her name from "Amanda" to "Hilary" and call it a day.

AFAIK, he hasn't.  But, I'm with those who think his departure is imminent.  I mean, it won't happen THIS WEEK, but I'll be surprised if he makes it past his first contract cycle.

• Members

l’ve seen rumors that Amanda is connected to Hillary, but it’s sad that these exciting rumors never happen — or take so long to happen that we stop caring. Sorry, but Hillary has been walking around doing a lot of nothing, and MiM is being wasted.

Donny Boaz is not only a MAGAt, but he’s also stupid. He deleted that tone deaf tweet, but it was up for almost an entire day before deletion. He’s an idiot. By then, he’d been DRAGGED and a lot of viewers who hadn’t heard about his politics turned on him in a minute.