AdamNewmanFan

Y&R September 2019 Episode Discussion

6 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

The demographics and size of the potential audience for daytime soaps have changed drastically over the last few decades, so no one expects the ratings to soar ever again. But I believe they can at least stabilize, stop hemorrhaging and improve. There is still a vast audience out there in TV land for intelligent, well-produced serialized dramas predicated on character-driven stories and interpersonal relationships. This is Us, A Million Little Things, Grey's Anatomy, Downton Abbey are all essentially soaps that the audience has embraced. The common denominator among them is that they are not cheap-looking and horribly-written.

Soap lovers who have immersed ourselves in daytime drama for many years (it's been six decades for me) are not likely to accept unmitigated crap quietly or walk away. We are a hardy, dedicated bunch who will continue to love the genre and clamor for improvement and change. We know that we deserve better than what TPTB are currently giving us, and we are never going to go quietly into that dark night. 

Also, some may find this an "unpopular opinion" (just to preface what I'm about to post) but there's a school of thought that posits that perhaps if soap fans were more unrelenting and openly vocal about specifically what was not good about these shows, instead of just accepting it until it got so bad they/we had to walk away, perhaps the producers/writers, etc. might have made the necessary adjustments in time to save more of these soaps before they tanked.

Just a thought. Not trying to light another fire, or anything.

Also, I'm not talking about the rabid fanatics who threaten to fly skywriting jets over studios or fanatics who threaten to walk away if an actor fired for cause isn't returned to the role, even after having two good recasts.  I'm talking about reasonable discussions of serious problems with the writing of characters and storylines.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

I went ahead and watched Mondays episode (well the Amanda scenes anyway).

Spoiler

I see what Mishael was talking about when she said she has to put a new spin on the dialogue because a lot of the writing is just snarky Hilary with a law degree and a bad wig. I'm sad they've written it so that there is no way she can just end up being Hilary but they can still bring her back from the dead and just 86 this character so thats what I'm pulling for.

Devon's non reaction to her looking just like Hilary is so weird. I see they were chem testing Mishael and nuNate and they kind of had a nice lil banter. I liked her scenes with Brittany too (I LOVE Lauren Woodland and I'm glad she's still popping up here and now)

Cane is a damn scoundrel and I hope he's the one who set all of this up with Chance

12 minutes ago, detroitpiston said:

I went ahead and watched Mondays episode (well the Amanda scenes anyway).

Hide contents

I see what Mishael was talking about when she said she has to put a new spin on the dialogue because a lot of the writing is just snarky Hilary with a law degree and a bad wig. I'm sad they've written it so that there is no way she can just end up being Hilary but they can still bring her back from the dead and just 86 this character so thats what I'm pulling for.

Devon's non reaction to her looking just like Hilary is so weird. I see they were chem testing Mishael and nuNate and they kind of had a nice lil banter. I liked her scenes with Brittany too (I LOVE Lauren Woodland and I'm glad she's still popping up here and now)

Cane is a damn scoundrel and I hope he's the one who set all of this up with Chance

Spoiler

Could colin be in on this too?.

21 hours ago, Vee said:

Let's be clear: I speak to you once in a blue moon. That's not obsession, that's active avoidance. And I don't have to speak for anyone - they've all done it for years! They've told you to stop lecturing them. Yet you keep doing it. Don't you get tired of hitting the same tiresome schoolmarm note?

If you can't handle criticism of these shows on a board with opinions counter to yours, leave.

If you can't handle people disagreeing with you regularly to the point that you have to constantly castigate the board for over 70% of your posting history, leave.

Otherwise: Stick to the shows, not the board, and praising the work of Josh Griffith and shut the fućk up. It's not hard. God bless.

LOL. “Shut the fu€k up” and “God bless” are separated by 3 words.

Hilarious.

Edited by ranger1rg

1 minute ago, ranger1rg said:

LOL. “Shut the [!@#$%^&*] up” and “God bless” are separated by 3 words.

Hilarious.

That was the idea, you numbskull. I'm a dry wit.

1 minute ago, Vee said:

That was the idea, you numbskull. I'm a dry wit.

Keep up the insults, honey. I know it’s all you got. You certainly don’t have anything to offer about the show.

Thanks for telling us that was wit. That’s an example I haven’t seen. Anywhere.

Just now, ranger1rg said:

You certainly don’t have anything to offer about the show.

And you have nothing to argue my point.

If you can't tolerate this board being made up predominantly of people more critical than you, either stick to the shows and shut up about your fellow posters or leave the board. It's a very simple proposition. Nothing you do can stop them. Make peace with your limitations in this life.

14 minutes ago, Vee said:

And you have nothing to argue my point.

If you can't tolerate this board being made up predominantly of people more critical than you, either stick to the shows and shut up about your fellow posters or leave the board. It's a very simple proposition. Nothing you do can stop them. Make peace with your limitations in this life.

LOL. Honey, go watch some more Bravo.

1 minute ago, ranger1rg said:

LOL. Honey, go watch some more Bravo.

I haven't watched Bravo in over a decade. Now do as you're told - stick to the shows, and try to turn your posting history around. Do it again and I'll report you. Thanks for contributing to Soap Opera Network.

13 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Also, some may find this an "unpopular opinion" (just to preface what I'm about to post) but there's a school of thought that posits that perhaps if soap fans were more unrelenting and openly vocal about specifically what was not good about these shows, instead of just accepting it until it got so bad they/we had to walk away, perhaps the producers/writers, etc. might have made the necessary adjustments in time to save more of these soaps before they tanked.

Soaps can be divided into Execs, Writers, Directors, Network People and Fans. A great many of us "teethed" on the soap industry when the writers & directors were "auteurs" and we know that soaps were both creatively and economically so much better then. But, the model of production where the economics of the situation is driving the bus has long since taken over. Fans tend to say that we'd be in better shape if the creative side of things was driving the bus. Oddly enough these varying sides agree on one thing and that is that soaps were so much better in the past. Nostalgia is in fashion.

image.png