Y&R September 2019 Episode Discussion

• Members

And last year we got mal who has never written for an American soap and the fans hated him too. Like i said SOME like to complain just to complain. But on the other hand people do have valid concerns. We dont need a 2013 rehash. Or 5 days a week of one character. 

Edited by AdamNewmanFan

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Fans hated the work of a man who was not suited for this show, did not understand it, and whose previous work on other soaps had not been highly regarded either.

Complaining about yet ANOTHER bad choice by Sony and CBS is NOT "complaining just to complain." It is justifiable criticism by viewers who are fed up by the network's and sponsor's continued, repeated, endless incompetent decisions.

Back in the day, GH viewers routinely lambasted ABC for hiring one set of atrocious writers after another for their show. But when Gloria Monty and Douglas Marland were chosen to run Port Charles, the audience did not complain. They cheered (and the ratings soared) because the network had finally made the right moves. 

Fans don't want to watch idiotic dreck on daytime TV just to complain about it. What they want is the kind of serials they used to get in days of yore: well-produced, well-written, quality drama. Soap fans have not had that in about YEARS now. The fact that their chorus of disapproval is getting louder as the years go by is understandable.

• Members

You cannot proclaim that no one wants to write for daytime dramas anymore. Maybe they would not want to do it for lousy pay, while subjected to endless, destructive restrictions and interference by the networks and suits, many of whom have already proven that they do not know what they are doing. But a writer who is given a fair salary and allowed reasonable freedom to write what and how he wants, apart from the oppressive dictates of renowned idiots,  would jump at the chance. Heck, there are even very knowledgeable, creative and erudite FANS who understand the soap opera genre quite well and who would jump at the chance to break into the business.

I'll bet some of them would do a better job than the alleged "writers" who been employed at the remaining soaps during the last 20 years, LOL.

I would not be surprised in the least if TIIC at some network gave Charles Pratt yet another chance to butcher yet another soap. THAT is why viewers keep criticizing. There are good writers out there. TPTB are just not looking for them or hiring them. And as long as they fail to do so, viewers will continue to complain, and be justified in their vehemence.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Thanks for reminding us that good writers and producers can save a show — as they did in the mid 1980s.

Those glory days are gone and are never coming back. Either enjoy what we have left (with some complaining on the side) or walk away.

No matter what changes are made, ratings are NEVER soaring again for any of the soaps.

• Members

Nobody gets to tell anybody to "enjoy what we have left or walk away". Most of the times the ones who eventually go away are the ones who can't deal with the break up of their supercouple or the leaving of the actor they are obsessing over.  And they leave on their own because they have nothing to talk about. 

• Members

Elsa, are you arguing with me because I gave my opinion? If so, just chill. Then chill again.

Can I tell you that nobody gets to tell me that “nobody gets to tell anybody to enjoy what we have left or walk away”? I mean, where does it stop?

i don’t type I THINK in front of every opinion I post here. You’re free to disagree with me on anything and everything.You don’t get to tell me what I can and cannot say.

• Members

The only opinion you ever have on this forum is that everyone here is outrageously negative and should give the shows a break or stop posting, because it makes you angry. It is literally all you ever post about. It's your trademark. For years.

Focus on the show and stop talking about the rest of the forum which by now deeply dislikes you, or worse, finds you ploddingly predictable. Our complaints may be myriad but unlike your posts, at least they talk about something different each time.

Edited by Vee

• Members

And you continue to be obsessed with me and constantly feel the need to speak for the entire community with your attacks on me.

Tell you what — stop worrying about my “only opinion.” Stop obsessing over my “trademark.” Stop worrying about who dislikes me here, and how deeply. Stop worrying about how ploddingly predictable I am. 

Worry about your own posts,, which don’t exactly set the board on fire. Your posts usually attack other posters instead of mentioning the show at all.

You are free to block me or mute me or whatever. I really don’t care. I hope you feel better having worked out your aggression and anger on a soap forum poster you deeply dislike.

i’m sure the rest of the posters here appreciate your work as Board Nanny, so there’s that. 

Btw, I’ve enjoyed the show recently, and I don’t think Josh Griffith should be fired. 

• Members

Let's be clear: I speak to you once in a blue moon. That's not obsession, that's active avoidance. And I don't have to speak for anyone - they've all done it for years! They've told you to stop lecturing them. Yet you keep doing it. Don't you get tired of hitting the same tiresome schoolmarm note?

If you can't handle criticism of these shows on a board with opinions counter to yours, leave.

If you can't handle people disagreeing with you regularly to the point that you have to constantly castigate the board for over 70% of your posting history, leave.

Otherwise: Stick to the shows, not the board, and praising the work of Josh Griffith and shut the fućk up. It's not hard. God bless.

• Members

The demographics and size of the potential audience for daytime soaps have changed drastically over the last few decades, so no one expects the ratings to soar ever again. But I believe they can at least stabilize, stop hemorrhaging and improve. There is still a vast audience out there in TV land for intelligent, well-produced serialized dramas predicated on character-driven stories and interpersonal relationships. This is Us, A Million Little Things, Grey's Anatomy, Downton Abbey are all essentially soaps that the audience has embraced. The common denominator among them is that they are not cheap-looking and horribly-written.

Soap lovers who have immersed ourselves in daytime drama for many years (it's been six decades for me) are not likely to accept unmitigated crap quietly or walk away. We are a hardy, dedicated bunch who will continue to love the genre and clamor for improvement and change. We know that we deserve better than what TPTB are currently giving us, and we are never going to go quietly into that dark night. 

Edited by vetsoapfan