Billboard Charts

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

It's very possible because there's no signs of Taylor slowing down.   "Lavender Haze" is likely to be the next official single and it's a very radio-friendly/catchy song.  Then whatever songs she decides to promote for the Speak Now and 1989 re-records during release week will also have a chance to go to #1, so that's three songs right now for 2023.   So that will bring her total to 12, moving ahead of Janet and Whitney.  

Then 2024 will probably be the re-records of reputation and her debut album, so that could be another 2 #1s which would bring her total to 14, moving ahead of Madonna and tying Rihanna (assuming she never releases an album.....come on girl, we're waiitng! LOL).  

Then 2025 will probably be a new album an another #1 song, so that will be 15 #1s, moving ahead of Rihanna, and only 4 behind Mariah.   I could see Taylor beating Mariah's 19 #1s before the decade is over, with the assumption she doesn't take a break for marriage and/or a baby.  Oh and there's also another potential number one with a song from her feature film directorial debut.

• Members

Perhaps, because Rihanna would have definitely moved passed Elvis and Mariah by now if she has kept up with releasing music. 

Though, it's really hard to even compare a #1 in this era vs. one from the 80's and 90's. If Madonna and Janet were operating under the same chart rules as Swift and Rhianna during their commercial peaks, they likely would have had a lot more #1's. Hell, Madonna herself had 6 singles that peaked at #2 on the Hot 100, which used to be a record (maybe it still is?). Fair or not, it was a lot harder to hit #1 in that era than it is now for a super popular artist. 

It was also very unusual for female artists to have huge singles success until Madonna and Whitney Houston's emergence in the mid-80's. They broke a glass ceiling of sorts that rivaled and surpassed success of male artists of that time (and before). Before Madonna scored her 10th #1 hit with 'This Used To Be My Playground' in 1992, the only female act that had amassed that many #1 hits was The Supremes in the 60's (they had 12, which would also be the amount Madonna would amass on the Hot 100). 

• Members

Elvis has 7 as well, but some of those may have come in the era pre-dating the establishment of the Hot 100 or been double-sided singles. Swift would have the record in the Hot 100 era, edging out Madonna's 6 #2's. It's all very convoluted depending on what the chart rules are at the time, which is why I caution comparing artists from different eras and their commercial peaks.  

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Administrator

It looks like radio (and the new rules, maybe) is helping "Anti-Hero" stay at #1.   This week it hit 88.5 million radio airplay audience impressions, up from 83.8 million.  With 8 weeks at #1, "Anti-Hero" passes "Blank Space" to become Taylor's longest #1 song. She's had #1s in between songs, but this is her first big hit since "Blank Space" in late 2014-early 2015. 

• Members

The top 10 songs forty years ago today from 1983.

1 1 DOWN UNDER –•– Men At Work (Columbia)-12 (2 weeks at #1) (1)
2 2 THE GIRL IS MINE –•– Michael Jackson / Paul McCartney (Epic)-12 (2)
3 3 DIRTY LAUNDRY –•– Don Henley (Asylum)-13 (3)
4 5 SEXUAL HEALING –•– Marvin Gaye (Columbia)-13 (4)
5 7 AFRICA –•– Toto (Columbia)-13 (5)
6 4 MANEATER –•– Daryl Hall & John Oates (RCA)-15 (1)
7 8 BABY, COME TO ME –•– Patti Austin with James Ingram (Qwest)-19 (7)
8 9 ROCK THE CASBAH –•– The Clash (Epic)-17 (8)
9 6 MICKEY –•– Toni Basil (Chrysalis)-21 (1)
10 10 HEARTBREAKER –•– Dionne Warwick (Arista)-16 (10)

• Administrator

SZA blocked by Miley! When I first heard "Flowers," I didn't think it would blow up like this.  Apparently, it's huge on TikTok?   Two years ago this month, "Drivers License" had a similar debut.  Maybe January is a good month to release breakup songs?  LOL