Billboard Charts

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Weeknd is the 11th male solo artist to reach 7 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100. The male solo artists with 7 or more #1s on the Billboard Hot 100 are Michael Jackson (13), Drake (11), Stevie Wonder (10), Elton John (9), Usher (9), George Michael (8), Bruno Mars (8), Justin Bieber (8), Elvis Presley (7, plus 11 pre-Hot 100 #1s), Phil Collins (7), The Weeknd (7).

The Weeknd is the 10th artist not from the United States to reach 7 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100. The artists not from the United States with 7 or more #1s on the Billboard Hot 100 are The Beatles (20), Rihanna (14), Drake (11), The Bee Gees (9), Elton John (9), The Rolling Stones (8), George Michael (8), Justin Bieber (8), Phil Collins (7), The Weeknd (7).

Among Canadian artists, The Weeknd is 3rd, behind Drake and Justin Bieber.

Ariana Grande is the 9th female solo artist to reach 7 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100. The female solo artists with 7 or more #1s on the Billboard Hot 100 are Mariah Carey (19), Rihanna (14), Madonna (12), Whitney Houston (11), Janet Jackson (10), Katy Perry (9), Taylor Swift (9), Beyoncé (8), Ariana Grande (7).

• Members

I’ll admit, as a black man, that I don’t think he’s racist in the Scott Adams sense. I think he’s just dumb and one of those white dudes who thinks he has access to language he absolutely shouldn’t use. I *do* agree that the surge in popularity was in part due to racism.

It’s a shame because I think he’s actually talented.

• Members

Other than what he said, and some poor appearances on SNL, I have little knowledge of him. He may not be a racist. I just think it's telling that as soon as he started dropping slurs, he went from a country singer who was somewhat liked but not a huge name, to a superstar. 

• Members

He’s absolutely reckless in a way that you can’t be in this day and age (like the partying and getting COVID, which resulted in his first SNL appearance getting cancelled). He was definitely poised as a future star in country music, which is why SNL pushed him so hard. He got banned by radio and from awards show appearances, and I think there was a backlash to the backlash, a lot of it driven by reactionary racists and maybe a bit of it from people who thought the punishment didn’t fit the crime, especially after he apologized and some of his black peers like Kane Brown and Jimmie Allen defended him. (Whether Kane and Jimmie did that to avoid being targeted by racists is one thing, but I do believe they were genuine. Kane, in particular, has not been one to shy away from calling out the racism among country fans.)