• 1 month later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

In all of the talk about Sajak retiring this week, this thought never occurred to me and yes - it's mind-boggling. It really makes me sad because little bit by little bit, the classic stalwarts of game shows are passing away or retiring. Bob, Alex, and Pat were the hosts you could count on for over 20 years. Even when other shows/hosts came up and had a turn a spotlight, it was usually fleeting, but the Big Three were still there.

Speaking of Alex/Jeopardy, I've been watching the Pluto channel a LOT lately, and it seems they've settled in to really just airing series of episodes featuring long-lasting returning champions. It's interesting to see, but it's gotten pretty old pretty quickly, and seeing so much of it at one time really drives home how different the game has become. Yes, it's exciting to watch these contestants quickly build up thousands and thousands of dollars over a few days, but you can see the look of futility in the other contestants' faces, Alex was never really tactful about not just making it all about the returning champs, and many of the returning champs just have really, really uncomfortable and unlikeable personalities. I've never liked James Holzhauer, but in watching the reruns, I've taken a strong disliking to Austin Rogers, too. Some were not as bad, but most of them are pretty smug.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Don’t make me laugh. I figured it’s only a matter of time before Sajak ends up in the loony bin with his predecessor Chuck Woolery. 

As far “beloved” hosts go I mean I haven’t cared for Sajak in years and even then he could be crass/tasteless and well sexist. And of course Bob Barker was a very nasty individual who would’ve been deservedly unceremoniously dumped had #metoo happened during his era. 

• Members

I never have cared for Sajak onscreen either. Just very smarmy. I never did for Barker either after the stuff with Dian, although he was a better onscreen presence. 

I was so disappointed to her about Woolery and Wink Martindale, even if they were never favorites of mine.

My favorite was probably Jim Perry (who nearly got WoF). I hope he wasn't an [!@#$%^&*]...

• Members

Bob’s mid-80s era being available to watch 24/7 has definitely revealed just how much was allowed and ignored. It really feels like there’s a gross (and often awkward) moment at least once an episode. Pat…well, I’ve never been a huge regular viewer of WoF - now or in the past - and his demeanor has not been very welcoming for a long, long time, but I just can’t downplay how much he (and Bob) have meant to the genre. Great role models? No. Great game show hosts, in their prime? Absolutely. We don’t have many of those active in the business anymore.

• 2 weeks later...