Game Shows

• Members

Pluto's Barker Era channel rotated in about 60 half-hour episodes from 1972-1973 throughout the month of December in honor of Bob's 100th birthday. They debuted each weeknight in a two-hour block in primetime, and now they'll just be added to the regular rotation (so we'll get those episodes, jump to 1982-1985, then back to 1972, etc).

Truthfully, I was looking forward to seeing more from the beginning, but I wasn't too excited simply because of how few games there were. They started with only five, one of which was an awkward dud, so I figure it would get pretty monotonous pretty quickly. I was very wrong, though, and even with just a small rotation of a handful of games, each episode is still as fun and exciting as any other era (especially once the show gained popularity and the audience became more enthusiastic).

An interesting thing, for me at least, is how many black contestants there were right from the very beginning. It's no big deal now, but I think of all of the game shows I've watched from the 60s and 70s, and I'd bet TPIR was the first to have a truly "integrated" contestant base.

Hopefully, they dust off some late 70s eps to rotate in. There were close to 40 different games by then, almost all of them classics, and the energy was already electric.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can't stand to watch the Drew Carey version of Price Is Right. I grew up with Bob and the original Barker Beauties and the current show is just Sad.

Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy were incredible announcers and really took pride in their work describing the products. " Dinty Moore Beef Stew ! Tasty real beef, with hearty potatoes and carrots in a rich brown gravy. Dinty Moore, It's a meal in a can" !!! George Gray: " It's a can of stew" It's a pack of gum. It's a cleaning spray, it's a bag of chips YAWN !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Rare found full episode of " The Wizard Of Odds" from 1974. It was the first American game show to be hosted by Alex Trebek. He moved from Canada to the states to host and became a U.S. citizen. The theme song was written and sung by Alan Thicke.