Game Shows

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think he's a good choice, honestly. I haven't watched anything he's hosted in a long, long time, but based on his earlier stuff and Idol, I do think he's the kind of host who will let the game and contestants be the star. He's never really been an "It's all about me" type, which is what most games tend to go for these days.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

This week CBS started The Price is Right season 52 and Let's Make a Deal season 15.

On June 12, 2023, Let's Make a Deal moved past the NBC 1966-1980 version of Hollywood Squares to become the fourth longest-running game show on US daytime network television.

Let's Make a Deal will reach two other milestones during season 15:

On March 29, 2024, Let's Make a Deal will move past the NBC 1975-1989 version of Wheel of Fortune to become the third longest-running game show on US daytime network television.

On May 3, 2024, Let's Make a Deal will move past the NBC 1958-1973 version of Concentration to become the second longest-running game show on US daytime network television.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

That's absolute wild considering this version of the show has had little to no pop culture impact whatsoever lol As much as I loathe Steve Harvey's Feud, you really can't say it flies under the radar. I think LMAD primarily benefits from so many doctor's waiting rooms and nursing homes having their TVs tuned strictly to CBS and nothing else for the last 40 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I’ve been having TPIR: Barker Era on almost constantly for weeks now (even before Bob’s passing), and I finally was curious enough to watch a full episode of the current season. I haven’t watch a complete “new” ep in years, definitely pre-COVID - probably Drew reruns during the shutdown while waiting to watch classic Y&R - plus I wanted to have a look at the new set at the new studio.

My immediate reaction is that the show feels so empty and lifeless. There isn’t much energy, and it feels forced when there is. The audience is smaller (which I know this is an upgrade from the COVID configuration that was still being utilized), and there just seems to be less buzz in the air. I’m able to recognize that Drew has his own style that works for him and has kept him hosting the show for 16 years, but he is not a showman at all, so the dullness and quiet just sits there with no attempt from anyone to elevate it. I’ve always disliked George Gray’s announcing style, and it continues to sound more like parody than anything else.

The generic music that replaced all of those distinctly TPIR cues has been talked about for years, and it’s crazy to me that TPTB were able to rotate in new cues that still fit the show’s brand at least once a decade through the 2000s, but anything they’ve brought in since then has been totally forgettable.

It really breaks my heart to see that this is what the show is now, especially when you can so easily see 40-year-old episodes that are bursting with excitement. I would bet that the average age of the audience has gone way way way up in the last decade. No one under 30 seems to know anything at all about the show besides the fact that it exists.

On the bright side, I did enjoy seeing some games that were introduced much later than the mid-80s, like Pocket Change and 1/2 Off.

• Members

I was never overly fond of Bob Barker, but I did like that the show kept appealing to new generations and was a destination for college kids on Spring Break. I wonder if anyone in the last fifteen years has given a damn. 

I never hear anyone talk about this show or about Let's Make a Deal.