Game Shows

• Members

I've been watching a lot of classic game shows on BUZZR lately, what are some of everyone's favorites? Also who would you say are some of the best game show hosts?

I really like Press Your Luck, Match Game, Sale of the Century, Card Sharks. I think Allen Ludden, Jim Perry and Peter Tomarken are a few of the great hosts we've had

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I strongly dislike the "single-player" elements of the new PYL and CS. It's the game show trend that I've hated for years, and both shows were perfectly fine without it.

All-time favorite games are, in no particular order, The Price is Right, The $100,000 Pyramid (all incarnations), Match Game, Supermarket Sweep, Split Second, Card Sharks, Password Plus, and Jeopardy.

• Members

I love all the classics on BUZZR. Sale Of The Century is really one of my all time favorites. I wish they would find the entire 1983-1989 run instead of airing certain episodes. I also wish they would run Name That Tune, Tic Tac Dough, Jokers Wild, and Dream House (1983-84). The schedule is filled with too much Match Game. 

• Members

Buzzr is a regular part of my latenight TV viewing. Brenda Dickson was in a couple of episodes of Match Game the other night. Richard gave Gene the whole rundown of her storyline with Phillip and Kay.

I also enjoy What's My Line? It's so charming to me how formal the show is with the tuxedos and gowns. Being on television was a big deal in those early years, when people still got dressed to go shopping downtown or to take a flight. It's also really sobering to watch the episodes right after the deaths of Fred Allen and Dorothy Kilgallen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I go down the WML? Mystery Guest rabbit hole several times a year. It's just so fun to watch the panelists deduce who the guests are with such questions as "Are you in a motion picture currently appearing on Broadway?" and "Would you say your appearances on television are of the regular sort or of the irregular sort?"

That latest trip down the rabbit hole led me deeeep into the 70s WML? and To Tell the Truth, which pushed me into more 70s games. I watched a few episodes of the short-lived 1975 show Musical Chairs, which was kinda ahead of its time (basically, it was a "guess the next lyric" show, but with famous singers performing the songs live - including SFT's Mary Stuart!). It was very cute, and the host was super charming.

Last few days have been tons of The Joker's Wild, which I watched when it was on GSN years ago but never paid too much attention to. I never realized how really exciting and fun it was! The more I watch, the more it becomes one of my top faves. Jack Barry was having the time of his life hosting it, too, which is good after all the troubles he had in the 50s and 60s. It's nice that he ended his career and life hosting a huge hit.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it's a kick to see Peggy Cass regularly on these reruns of classic game shows while Retro TV is airing her run as the nutty but loving hospital receptionist Sweeney on The Doctors. Of course, some of her game show persona spilled over into her soap character...but at this point in the reruns of TD, Sweeney is written with a bit more substance - taking an emotionally wounded nurse's aide under her wing and into her home, essentially becoming a mother figure. In any case, Peggy Cass seemed like a very sharp lady.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I always remember Peggy Cass as the hilarious big mouth mother of Abby, Gidget's rival in "Gidget Goes Hawaiian (1961)". Jeff Donnell (Stella on GH) was Gidget's mother and Carl Reiner was her father. Reiner and Donnell  were great together. There is one scene where she is trying to feed him pineapple on the beach that makes me chuckle. 

Vicki Trickett was good as the snotty jealous Abby, but dropped out of acting to become a teacher according to her imdb bio. She was already a mother in real life when she won the role at age 22. 

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I've been watching Classic Concentration when I can on Buzzr. If I'm home Saturday afternoon, they have several hours of episodes, and I love it. So weird to see Alex in such casual clothes, but it's nice to see him in a less formal game environment. It's also a great play-along game.

Speaking of Concentration, I'm super excited because the Jack Narz-hosted syndicated run from the mid-70s is joining the Buzzr lineup at the end of the month. I'm not sure when it'll air, but I've seen a rumor that it'll be replacing The All-New Let's Make a Deal. So, so fitting since it seems like they'll be airing episodes from 1976, which is around when the show starting being moved to late-night/early-morning time slots. Now, over 40 years later, it'll air in the primetime access slot that it had been shoved out of.

I am NOT a fan of the MGHS Hour AT ALL. If anything proves that the stars made the show for Match Game AND Hollywood Squares, this is it. I'm thankful Buzzr gave it to us so check out, and I guess they'll go through the whole run, but they can take it off weeknights after one run-through and put something else there. I'm holding out hope that they'll one day get their hands on 70s and 80s episodes of TPIR.