Game Shows

• Members

Linda Dano was on last night's airing of MGHS Hour. I was wondering about which network aired the show because they had stars from all of the big three. Am I incorrect when I assume the original MG primarily featured CBS stars?

I have to agree @All My Shadows it just doesn't have the charm of either original show. I tune in just to see which random '80s personalities are going to be panelists. The other day it was painful to watch CNR sit there stone-faced and reactionless while he wrote out his answer card as that comedian whose name escapes me (looks like a mix between Jerry Garcia and Wilford Brimley) tryied his hardest to steal the show with lame ass jokes.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

His name was far back in my brain but I finally remembered it as Bruce Baum. He's terrible, and yes, it's hard to watch poor Charles sit there and try to make it work for Gene even though they both knew it just wasn't working. The magic was gone, and it was so clear that MG belonged to the 1970s. It just didn't work in this new format, even the set was too big. The 90s series with Ross Shafer was much, much better, and might've survived had it not come out in the dying era of daytime game shows.

MGHS Hour was on NBC. The 70s series definitely had stars from non-CBS programs, but it's hard to tell if they were on the network series or the syndicated series.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

In preparation for Monday's premiere of CONCENTRATION, I've been doing work at home with the soundtrack playing from TVPMM, and I absolutely adore the music and can't wait to regularly hear these lovely TPIR-esque cues. The main theme can sound pretty basic at first but Edd did such a great job adapting it into different tones and moods for various uses throughout the program.

This is really going to be a great addition to Buzzr's lineup. Concentration is one of the longest-running game show franchises in the genre's history (nearly 25 years), and the original series was extremely popular, but no version of it was ever rerun until Classic Concentration joined Buzzr a few years ago. It's just nice to see this much-revered format getting a new life in reruns, and I can count myself as a new fan who would've never gotten into it if not for Buzzr.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

JEOPARDY! will start rolling out reruns next week.

Obviously, game show repeats aren't as exciting as soap repeats (especially for a show like J! that hasn't really had any huge changes over the years), but I'm looking forward to seeing the bookending 2004 episodes. I have noooo interest in watching James Holzhauer be obnoxious all throughout the GOAT tournament again.

I really hate the fact that the possibility of TPIR rerunning some Bob episodes is most definitely less than zero.

Edited by All My Shadows

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

@DRW50 What utter crap! I never did get the fascination with those types of games with the mean-spirited, self-hating host basically sh!tting on everyone on the set while also humiliating the contestants. It really all comes across like some sick fantasy of an unhappy teenager. Then you have the programmer - "Oh, Freddie Starr is SO outrageous!" Poor thing doesn't realize that so much of late 90s culture had a shelf life of about three months. I do love the concept of this particular show confronting the people responsible for the game show and telling them "This is stupid, when is it going off the air?"

Jeopardy! will be rerunning episodes from its first decade next week, including the 1984 premiere. The following week has some Celebrity Jeopardy! repeats, including a Donna Mills sighting!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...