BREAKING: Corday Productions Suing Sony Over ‘DAYS’ Compensation

Errol

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think him being pissed at the international aspect is probably reasonable - both Days and B&B has had fairly successful following in a lot of countries, while Y&R has bombed in some markets yet they've repeatedly tried to launch it again and again in said markets. When Days ended up failing in one market it seems like they just gave up on it.

• Members

I mean, doesn't Sony own a greater percentage of Y&R? With that, I'd assume they'd have a greater vested interest in selling it to different markers vs. DAYS, where they would make less profit regardless of the show's success. 

It's a complicated history when you consider Betty Corday took Bill Bell to court when he decided he wanted to leave DAYS to create Y&R (and arguably, it was Bell who saved DAYS and made it an initial success), hence Corday's tiny steak in the show. 

• Members

Oh, OK. I was only going off this quote in SOD's article:

“Among its myriad illegal acts, the worst financially for Corday is Sony’s failure to market the Series in foreign markets in good faith and compliance with laws prohibiting anticompetitive conduct,” says the suit, indicating that ‘DAYS’ isn’t licensed in “key foreign territories, including England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Canada, France, Zambia, and South Africa.”

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2019/02/breaking-corday-productions-suing-sony-over-days-compensation

• Members

Exactly.  If Bill Bell had not turned things around for DAYS, Columbia/Screen Gems never would have approached him with the offer to create his own show (Y&R).  In fact, I believe that had he failed at DAYS, he might've returned to ATWT and stayed with the Procter & Gamble soaps for years to come.

• Members

You can read the entire lawsuit by following the password protected links that are at the end of the article.

I've read the whole thing and WOW. It only reinforces the perception I have had of Ken Corday as an EP who, despite all his stupid decisions and idiocy, has a reverence for DAYS and always thinks he's doing right by the show. 

If this lawsuit is even half accurate...good lord, Sony. It gives a very clear insight to how the financial arrangements have changed and how NBC, of all entities, has actually been saving DAYS and intervening time and again. 

• Members

So like @DaytimeFan I decided to read through the lawsuit and...they want these shows to die. I have no doubt about that anymore. Here are some quotes.

I thought dark weeks were to SAVE money. And wow the cast and crew still get PAID when not working? No wonder the actors on Days never leave!

They absolutely want these shows to die.

I mean...that's a lie but you gotta keep up the delusion.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I've said time and time again, in order for the remaining daytime soaps to survive they need to monetize these shows in any way possible. That they're sitting on basically 50 years of a complete run and doing nothing with it is nothing but a waste of money. Where I live Bold and the Beautiful even has "classic" episodes licensed to streaming. Why can't the same be done with Days?

• Members

Do I think Corday has a viable point in all of this?  Absolutely.  I think this is a Hail Mary pass to save the show, but it's one worth taking. 

Do I trust the likes of Ken Corday?  Hell NO!  I'd trust the devil with my soul before I'd trust that man with a soap. He is a drama queen, and he always will be.  If there is a gimmick to be had, he will find it and exploit it.  History has proven this to be true. 

• Members

I think some give him too much credit. He's often checked out and playing golf with his pal Josh Taylor

Please register in order to view this content

Sounds like Sony has some explaining to do.

And trust me, I don't love Corday either, but what's being exploited here? Sony isn't doing their job and the show is suffering because of it.

EXACTLY! It's absolutely mind-boggling. There IS a desire to see these. I just don't get it. Sony seems to have checked out on DAYS a long time ago. And they even remove them from YouTube, which is insane (I imagine it's a Sony thing ... just a hunch). Just leave them! Trust, the youtuber posting them isn't making millions off of your reruns ...

• Members

I read the whole thing too, and Corday DOES want to monetize their back catalog of 50+ years. In particular, it mentioned multiple times that Sony has kept the show from utilizing the first 32 seasons (1965-1997). 

It's sad to read how DAYS/Corday is being screwed over and squeezed dry. Sony flat out won't pay for the current new season they were just renewed for (2019-2020). I hope he gets some substantial money from this. However, I wonder what the fate of the show will be if they go it alone in the future. 

Edited by Gray Bunny